BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

nightlife in blackburn

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 24/04/2020 at 19:37, DeeCee said:

I used to train at the YMCA with the Gardners, and drink with them. Good lads ?

I couldn't disagree more DeeCee, maybe in their younger days but absolute fooking animals in later life.

1 hour ago, Alex Rover said:

No doubt about it, Blackburn was a leader in the Acid House movement, light years ahead of much bigger citys across the country.

Locally, Preston and the dingles were still fighting with Halifax and Rochdale, Blackburn was leading the way on the national dance scene, we've always been light years ahead of those backward fookers. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

I couldn't disagree more DeeCee, maybe in their younger days but absolute fooking animals in later life.

No doubt about it, Blackburn was a leader in the Acid House movement, light years ahead of much bigger citys across the country.

Locally, Preston and the dingles were still fighting with Halifax and Rochdale, Blackburn was leading the way on the national dance scene, we've always been light years ahead of those backward fookers. 

I was at Live The Dream age 15, found my way up there with my mates because we could hear the thud of the bass speakers from our houses on livesey .  Got a Joe up there and there we were.....the rest is history.

Went to most of the parties that were held at the time, Tony's Ballroom, Yuticks,  Monroes, Sett End

Edited by Sparks Rover

18 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I was at Live The Dream age 15, found my way up there with my mates because we could hear the thud of the bass speakers from our houses on livesey .  Got a Joe up there and there we were.....the rest is history.

Went to most of the parties that were held at the time, Tony's Ballroom, Yuticks,  Monroes, Sett End

Seem to recall Live The Dream was at the back end of the original scene, but i could be wrong. 

Sett End kicked it off, upstairs in the place.

I remember one of the first parties just off George street West near St Wilfred's school, old warehouse broken into and the party began and never stopped for a while.

Monroes - Jesus, I could tell you some stories about that place, but i won't :D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Oh yeah.  Which pub did you drink in and with which brother?

John died didn't he, speeding out of his mind when the police came calling, heart attack.

Not sure what happened to Dave.

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Seem to recall Live The Dream was at the back end of the original scene, but i could be wrong. 

Nah, it was early on I think...then there was one down ewood at that old paper mill.  A few others....

The biggest illegal one I went to was in Nelson...jesus that was a crazy crazy time...

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

One of the articles in Alex Rover's link says; "A big change in dynamics was the Live The Dream rave in the village of Tockholes on September 16, 1989

I've no idea if that was the beginning or the end. I was 12, too young to understand. I do remember driving to Sunday morning football matches across East Lancs and having to follow diversions because of road blocks. 

My dad had a mate who was a copper in Accy. I remember him telling stories of the chaos at Monroe's. Who could imagine today that a dodgy nightclub in Great Harwood would be in the middle of a movement. 

• Like 1

I nearly dropped someone in the sh~t with a particular Acid House party.  Down Pump Street, around 1990 (From my book Blowing With The Blackburn Trades).

The funniest thing which happened to George was when Walmsley and him nearly got themselves arrested in the early hours of a particular Sunday morning.

It was the common practice for Walmsley to get drunk every Saturday dinner time and fall asleep in such a way as he would be dead to the world.  Some rotten devil, usually me, would draw all over his face with a red or green felt tip pen until he looked a bit like a Maori from New Zealand.

We wouldn't tell him what we'd done when he woke up and keep straight faces for the rest of the evening while he carried on where he left off boozing.  If I was really cruel I would invite him to accompany me on a pub crawl without letting the penny drop.

On one particular night Walmsley - face painted once again -  supped in the club till four in  the morning with George.  They went for some supper down King Street afterwards.  What they didn't know was an acid party had been taking place down Pump Street, the police were called to disperse the ravers.

When the cops saw Walmsley they assumed like anybody else he was one of the acid kids and pulled him and George.  Walmsley's luck must have been in as he came out with the all-time classic excuse for the police by saying:  "How can we be acid kids?  Look at us we're pissed.  This lot are into drugs, we're into beer!"

The police let them go, giving them five minutes to get home or they would be offered another bed for the night.

Edited by Roving Mick
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 28/04/2020 at 23:33, Sparks Rover said:

Bringing back memories there of hot Summers,flared Jeans and Nike Air Trainers.

Was working at Station Garage( thank feck I got out of the Motor Trade!)in Feniscowles on that very day....from about early afternoon all you could indeed hear was thud,thud,thud as they tested the Speaker System.

Weren't the Gardner's and a certain 'Concrete' running the security that event until they got cold feet when a few Heavys from Manchester way got involved?

Edited by A Northern Horde...

2 hours ago, A Northern Horde... said:

Bringing back memories there of hot Summers,flared Jeans and Nike Air Trainers.

Was working at Station Garage( thank feck I got out of the Motor Trade!)in Feniscowles on that very day....from about early afternoon all you could indeed hear was thud,thud,thud as they tested the Speaker System.

Weren't the Gardner's and a certain 'Concrete' running the security that event until they got cold feet when a few Heavys from Manchester way got involved?

Not sure...I expect the Lax brothers and Scottish Tommy were involved.... gardners were about then too yes.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Metal shutters going up on the Fox and Hounds Pub at Ewood today,a favourite watering hole for Rovers fans since the Club moved into Ewood Park...so very sad to see.

The Aquaduct,Albion,Uncle Jack's and now Fox n Hounds...sadly seems to mirror the fortunes of the Club in recent years.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1