BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Thought Devil was pretty ordinary, not enough suspense and too many plot holes. M Knight needs to watch more Sam Raimi movies if he wants to nail how to make a modern day horror/suspense.

I like Guy Ritchie, to me he has only made one bad movie and that was that peice of ###### Swept Away

Thought Devil was pretty ordinary, not enough suspense and too many plot holes. M Knight needs to watch more Sam Raimi movies if he wants to nail how to make a modern day horror/suspense.

Drag Me To Helll was fantastic.

Army of Darkness is classic. Not at all happy with the cut they used for the bluray Screwhead Edition, they removed far too many of the skeletons classic one liners - which Raimi and his brother voiced by the way.

True Grit - good film that.

Devil was pretty funny, but not a patch on The Happening. I hope this isn't a "sign" that Shyamalan's losing his touch, he makes some of the best comedies around. That bit where the security guard was running about blaming a slice of toast landing butter side down on the Devil was mint though.

I've been to see "West Is West" tonight.

What a lovely & heart-warming film it is.

We were in there with a load of kids whose(grand/parents)were probably from Pakistan who wanted to see it and it was great to hear the alternative laughter at the jokes that us Brits didn't understand.

It is however a British film, there are moments when you alternate between laughing & crying. There is one scene when an elderly lady who only speaks Urdu speaks to another elderly lady who comes from Salford, who only speaks English, and it's the most moving scene in the film. Weird, but it works a treat.

Then there's Nana Mouskouri(sp) joke that runs through the middle of the film ands up being a spoiler if I tell you more.

Recommended. Go and see it.

True Grit - good film that.

Devil was pretty funny, but not a patch on The Happening. I hope this isn't a "sign" that Shyamalan's losing his touch, he makes some of the best comedies around. That bit where the security guard was running about blaming a slice of toast landing butter side down on the Devil was mint though.

It would be sooooo much better if he did actually intentionally mean them to be funny, if he wasn't so pretentious and arrogant about his "art" then maybe people would cut him some slack. Seriously, Aliens who can master space travel but can't open a door?

Seriously, Aliens who can master space travel but can't open a door?

:lol:

Or, that in a master plan for world domination they found it necessary to invade a podunk farm in the middle of nowhere and play chase the crows in a corn field, at night, naked.

No rayguns either. Missed the rayguns I did.

"Mars Attacks" hands that movie its ass.

:lol:

Or, that in a master plan for world domination they found it necessary to invade a podunk farm in the middle of nowhere and play chase the crows in a corn field, at night, naked.

No rayguns either. Missed the rayguns I did.

"Mars Attacks" hands that movie its ass.

Of course the clincher is: "Let's go and harvest us some food. Naked. On a planet 2/3 covered in a substance so acidic to us is causes our skin to melt instantly. Where that same substance falls from the sky quite regularly."

*some time later*

"Well, that was a hell of a lot of effort, but at least we get to chow down on some delicious, delicious human........AAAAAIIIIIEEEE they're made of water! Who knew????"

The worst part is, none of that occured to me while watching it in the cinema. :blush:

Of course the clincher is: "Let's go and harvest us some food. Naked. On a planet 2/3 covered in a substance so acidic to us is causes our skin to melt instantly. Where that same substance falls from the sky quite regularly."

*some time later*

"Well, that was a hell of a lot of effort, but at least we get to chow down on some delicious, delicious human........AAAAAIIIIIEEEE they're made of water! Who knew????"

The worst part is, none of that occured to me while watching it in the cinema. :blush:

Yes it always struck me as odd as them being so thick as not to know that water would be everywhere. Just breathing all of the water vapor in the air should have been terribly uncomfortable for them. One would expect, at the very least, for their leaders to issue some manner of rebreather.

One would assume that the leadership would be aware of such liquid terrors and have at least issued raincoats, perhaps waders at the very least, or similar. I can tell you from experience that those corn plants can contain a prodigious amount of water, especially in the very early mornings - which seemed the favoured time for their expeditions into them.

And another thing the camouflage, not that I mind he stole the pretense of camouflage quite without shame from Predator, they used it so terribly. Why on earth, or wherever they come from, would they take all the time to hide in bushes etc. and then walk right in front of a white wall? Slowing, I may add in a terrible show of all military evasion techniques, to do a fantastic imitation of the Patterson Bigfoot video.

Edited by rebelmswar

• Backroom

Watched Memento for the first time last night, very good film don't know how I missed it until now.

Felt the ending was a little underwhelming though

Also you guys give M Night too much credit, I think for most of his films he thinks of a twiiist and then wraps a bad plot around it. Although as I said Devil was Ok as a saturday night popcorn flick.

I've also been watching the Alien series for the first time over the last couple of weeks, doing a backlog of classics I may have missed

Edited by TCO

Watched Memento for the first time last night, very good film don't know how I missed it until now.

Felt the ending was a little underwhelming though

Also you guys give M Night too much credit, I think for most of his films he thinks of a twiiist and then wraps a bad plot around it. Although as I said Devil was Ok as a saturday night popcorn flick.

I've also been watching the Alien series for the first time over the last couple of weeks, doing a backlog of classics I may have missed

YOU. HAVE. NOT. SEEN. ALIENS. BEFORE?

• Backroom

YOU. HAVE. NOT. SEEN. ALIENS. BEFORE?

I had but not in my adult life so I thought it was about time I watched them all in order, predator 1 and 2 next.

I had but not in my adult life so I thought it was about time I watched them all in order, predator 1 and 2 next.

Alien - Seminal sci-fi horror. One of the best films of all time.

Aliens - Awesome, run and gun space epic. Arguably better than its predecessor.

Alien 3 - Interesting but hugely flawed. It would probably be classed as acceptable if the first two films didn't exist. Anybody familiar with the original concept will no doubt be disappointed that it was never made.

Alien: Resurrection - Utter garbage.

Predator - Fantastic. The ultimate in overblown 80s action fare. "I ain't got time to bleed."

Predator 2 - Enjoyable, light-hearted nonsense. Plus it's got Danny Glover AND Gary Busey. :tu:

Predators - Slick, entertaining and visceral. It lacks the freshness of the first film but more than makes up for that AVP tripe.

Edited by Rovermatt

I was told of a film to watch that I may like called the lovey bones, the book was very good apparently and the film was directed by Peter Jackson.

I was totaly blown away by this film, maybe it's because this kind of thing hits a massive nerve with me but the film seems to have received mixed views of the extreme, some love it some said it was typical Peter Jackson and his special effects, yet I remember his earlier films such as braindead which entertained a very minimal budget and managed to become a cult classic.

To me this film deserves the credit it is due, it was unfairly rated down because of his work with LOTR, this film is a different kettle of fish and deserves to be treat as such, it has the special effects that it deserves and it only enhances the film but people criticised him for using so much cgi in a film like this but for me it only makes it better.

And btw Aliens was so much better than Alien it doesnt compare, Alien was still good in its own right.

Edited by beerwins

Finally got round to seeing Shutter Island (because it was on Sky Premier!). Excellent little movie.

Watched this last night, thought it was very good, confusing all the way through until the last few minutes though.

Anyone recommend some genuinely good horrors? Modern ones especially. Watched Paranomal Activity 2 and thought 'meh' but interested in what the best of the genre are.

Any recommendations?

Watched this last night, thought it was very good, confusing all the way through until the last few minutes though.

Anyone recommend some genuinely good horrors? Modern ones especially. Watched Paranomal Activity 2 and thought 'meh' but interested in what the best of the genre are.

Any recommendations?

Dead Snow, class horror from Norway, Horror Comedy but well worth the go

Thought The Last Exorcism was decent.

Pandorium is also worth a go, more scifi but dark.

Anyone recommend some genuinely good horrors? Modern ones especially. Watched Paranomal Activity 2 and thought 'meh' but interested in what the best of the genre are. Any recommendations?

Oh yes, there are a number...

The Hills Have Eyes Unrated HILLBILLY

Let The Right One In / Let Me In (US remake which is quite awesome as well) VAMPIRE

The Human Centipede SICK HORROR/COMEDY

The Crazies (2010 remake) ZOMBIES

Splice FREAKS

Zombieland HORROR/COMEDY

Thirst VAMPIRE

Trick 'R' Treat HORROR

Antichrist SUPERNATURAL

Pontypool ZOMBIES

REC / Quarantine (US remake, not as good as first one) ZOMBIES

Drag Me to Hell HORROR/COMEDY

Orphan FREAKY KID HORROR

Jennifer's Body VAMPIRE

The Descent MONSTER

The Midnight Meat Train HORROR

Splinter MONSTER

The Orphanage (must see) SUPERNATURAL

The Mist MONSTER

30 Days of Night VAMPIRE

Pans Labyrinth (not really horor as such but very dark dream fantasy, in my all time top 10 movies) SUPERNATURAL

Edited by neekoy