BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

• Backroom

Moon is the kind of film I usually like but I don't enjoy films with Sam Rockwell, something I just find somehow off-putting irregardless of his acting prowess.

Edited by TCO

I watched The girl with the dragon tattoo last night and it was excellent. It's quite a hard watch at times (it's no Saturday night popcorn movie) but worth the effort. I'd advise you to get the original Swedish version now, before the forthcoming hollywood remake.

I watched The girl with the dragon tattoo last night and it was excellent. It's quite a hard watch at times (it's no Saturday night popcorn movie) but worth the effort. I'd advise you to get the original Swedish version now, before the forthcoming hollywood remake.

That took you a while.

Agree with you re it's excellence.

I also have to say that there is no need for a Hollywood remake.

• Backroom

Watched Freddy vs Jason last night, what a masterpiece!

But seriously it is what it is and does a decent job of being a corny throwback horror.

That took you a while.

I still haven't seen Apocalypse Now, let alone something from 3 or 4 years ago :)

I also have to say that there is no need for a Hollywood remake.

I agree, bud sadly it's on it's way (and I'd imagine very very toned down, I'll wager the scenes with the probation officer will be softened a lot)

Watched 'The French Connection' last night

It felt very dated by modern standards, quite a difficult watch, the sound and picture quality seemed poor and there were long periods of silence, I think a good soundtrack would have helped the story along.

Glad I've seen it, but not in a hurry to watch it again.

I went to see The Eagle tonight, as my husband is away and I didn't really want to come straight home to an empty house as I felt I might have to do some cleaning or something like that. Totally strange - I was the only one in the cinema. enjoyed the film though - nothing like a bit of escapism and a few good fights and villains to dislike.

i watched shutter island last night......WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ABOUT???

SPOILER ALERT! If anyone hasn't seen they film, look away now!

Apparently about a bloke so in denial about his Missus killing their kids that he was institutionalised. He's completey lost his mind and makes up a fantasy to help him cope. In order to get him to come to terms with it the docs played along with this fantasy hoping he'll get it out of his system. At the end he tries to convince the docs he's better but he's not really.

Or http://screenrant.com/shutter-island-spoilers-discussion-vic-46052/

• Backroom

Just watched Pans Labrynth, been meaning to watch it for some time and I finally bought the BluRay last week.

Very good film I enjoyed it, pretty brutal at times as well.

i watched shutter island last night......WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ABOUT???

A decent twist but quite straightforward. I read the book and saw the fact that he was a patient coming about half way through.

*SPOILER*

Following the trauma of his wife's murder of their children, and his subsequent murder of his own wife, Laeddis/Daniels is locked up on Shutter Island. He is a violent and dangerous inmate due to his military and law enforcement careers and rejects his situation so vehemently that any challenge to his alternate reality results in him acting out in a violent manner. Following a brutal attack on the inmate George Noyce (who called him by his real name - Laeddis) the hospital's chief psychiatrist convinces his superiors to let him construct a massive role-playing game in which Laeddis is allowed to embrace his Daniels alter-ego and play it out to its inevitable conclusion at which point he will be forced to accept reality. If that fails Laeddis will be lobotomised as he is too dangerous a patient.

The only reality that Laeddis will accept is one in which he is a highly decorated, yet tortured, Federal Marshall who took part in the liberation of Dachau while in the army and whose wife was killed in a fire in their apartment building started by a pyromaniac called Andrew Laeddis (which is of course DiCaprio's character's real name). It is on this basis that he and his new partner Chuck - a recent transfer from Seattle - are brought to the Island to investigate that disappearance of Rachel Solondo, a patient who has escaped from her cell and is inside for drowning her children and now refuses to accept what she has done or where she is (two aspects cribbed from Laeddis's own life). Laeddis also believes himself to be at the hospital searching for the fictional Laeddis who killed his wife as well as investigating the mysterious goings on in ward C and the lighthouse. So determined is he not to accept reality that his mind resets periodically which explains why he remembers nothing beyond the very start of the film, on the boat.

This is all revealed to Laeddis at the end (including the fact that both the fictional name Edward Daniels and the name of the fictitious Rachel Solondo - a woman who is simply a nurse at the facility - are anagrams of his real name and his wife's real name). He is told that he must embrace his situation lest he be taken away for a lobotomy. His partner Chuck is then revealed as the mysterious 'Doctor Sheehan' who was said to have departed the island when they arrived. Sheehan is in fact Laeddis's supervising psychiatrist and was tasked with monitoring his progress during the experiment. While Laeddis initially convinces the doctors that he is willing to abandon his fake reality, the final exchange between he and Sheehan on the steps reveals that he has no such intention and is already planning an escape as if he, Teddy Daniels the Federal Marshall, is being unlawfully held at the facility. Sheehan therefore shakes his head in the direction of the other doctors and the warden and Laeddis is quietly taken away to be lobotomised.

Edited by Rovermatt

SPOILER ALERT! If anyone hasn't seen they film, look away now!

Apparently about a bloke so in denial about his Missus killing their kids that he was institutionalised. He's completey lost his mind and makes up a fantasy to help him cope. In order to get him to come to terms with it the docs played along with this fantasy hoping he'll get it out of his system. At the end he tries to convince the docs he's better but he's not really.

Or http://screenrant.com/shutter-island-spoilers-discussion-vic-46052/

SPOILER ALERT!

I saw the ending as him coming to terms with killing his wife, but preferring to have the lobotomy than live with what he's done.

Had a retro horror night t'other night.

The Blob(remake)

Killer Klowns from outerspace

Munchies

Monster Squad

They don't make them like they use to!

Every one a classic.

Did you get the Anniversary Edition of Monster Squad? Well worth it on Bluray.

Haven't seen Munchies in awhile now - remember the rubbish bin part with fond memories.

You have to work Critters in there next time too.