BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

• Backroom

How was Brave AS?

Heard its good but not great, problem is with pixar they are judged against astronomically high standards that they set themselves so anything that doesn't hit those heights gets heavily criticised.

I'm in no rush to see TDKR I'll wait or the trilogy on Blu ray as I forget the ins and outs of the first two

Edited by Tom M

Seen Ted (by other means). Daft,uncomplicated, really funny - some of the best lines I've heard in a while.

Saw TDKR in IMAX. Incredible movie. Lots of things in there - that will keep the interest going- in repeat viewings.

Mind blowing special effects (some with thousands of extras).

Tom Hardy's performance as Bane is up there with Heath Ledger's The Joker.

The ending is wonderful.

Edited by A cup of beans

Is that the sequel to BraveHeart?

:)

Brave for me was all over the place, It'll do well under the auspices of Pixar, and to be fair they should win an award for her hair, but what the hell was going on ? Don't want to spoil anything but it's really about the relationship between her and her mother. How they explore that will have you scratching your head, just silly (and scary for little ones toward the end)

Saw Hall Pass, pretty funny.

Also, these movies are not the most recent, saw Deserter, Simon Murray in the French Foreign Legion, thought it was excellent. Bird Song dealing mostly with World War I was a cracking movie too. I really like Joyeux Noel, Merry Christmas, that movie about WWI as one of my all time favourites as well.

I really like the Valkyrie movie with Cruise, otherwise, I'm not a big fan of his.

I'm in the admittedly small minority that thought Dark Knight Rises was Just unimaginative(its just all the same set pieces and ideas from the 1st 2 films just on bigger budget), stupid(even far a superhero film, so many giant plot holes), totally predictable and for the most part Ridiculous & Booooring.

p.s.

i did like the 1st 2 very much because they both brought something new and fresh to the genre, Rises is just a cash in on the success of the dark knight i believe, i don't believe for 1 second Nolan had originally intended to make a trilogy(and i also got the feeling that if heath ledger hadnt died then the 3rd film would have had the joker again and not Bloody little Fatty silly voice Bane).

Edited by hardly1980

I'm in the admittedly small minority that thought Dark Knight Rises was Just unimaginative(its just all the same set pieces and ideas from the 1st 2 films just on bigger budget), stupid(even far a superhero film, so many giant plot holes), totally predictable and for the most part Ridiculous & Booooring.

p.s.

i did like the 1st 2 very much because they both brought something new and fresh to the genre, Rises is just a cash in on the success of the dark knight i believe, i don't believe for 1 second Nolan had originally intended to make a trilogy(and i also got the feeling that if heath ledger hadnt died then the 3rd film would have had the joker again and not Bloody little Fatty silly voice Bane).

You are in the minority, took my daughter to Burnley to watch it this afternoon. A little long, but just fabulous, tied up the loose ends at the end.

All that and Anne Hathaway in those boots

• 3 weeks later...

its just this years Avatar, everyone(inc. me) thought that was great when it 1st came out, its completely naff now though.

I though Avatar was poor when it came out - great effects but it's just a complete rip-off of Dances With Wolves set in space.

The Dark Knight Rises is excellent though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched John Carter(yes, of Mars!), Stuff the critics(especially kermode), its actually a really good old fashioned type of family (sci-fi/adventure) film, it has its flaws&plot holes but far less so than Dark Knight Rises and you don't really care cos Carters not a film that takes its self that seriously anyway(again unlike the smug hack job DKR).

Edited by hardly1980

• Backroom

I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes on sky last week

I expected it to be bored by it but I loved it, it didn't need the planet of the apes moniker I dont think as a film in itself but is part of a reboot of kinds (which in turn makes the ending of this one a little weak maybe). Serkis does an amazing job of making you feel attached to a CGI chimp

Good, brainless popcorn film

I went to Total Recall on Tuesday. I really enjoyed it. Just a good old fashioned action, sci-fi chase fest. It's not going to win Oscars, but it's good entertainment.

I saw Lawless last night and thought it was excellent. It's quite violent and sinister. Guy Pierce is excellent, as is Tom Hardy.

Just watched John Carter(yes, of Mars!), Stuff the critics(especially kermode), its actually a really good old fashioned type of family (sci-fi/adventure) film, it has its flaws&plot holes but far less so than Dark Knight Rises and you don't really care cos Carters not a film that takes its self that seriously anyway(again unlike the smug hack job DKR).

You really are a minority voice aren't you? Whatever one thinks of The Dark Knight Rises, John Carter was a horrible, horrible film.

You really are a minority voice aren't you? Whatever one thinks of The Dark Knight Rises, John Carter was a horrible, horrible film.

I've actually got great taste in films of all kinds normally(if do say so myself!), I just think peoples opinions of DKR and John Carter in particular have been totally manipulated by the way they have been marketed and gushed over(or slaughtered) by the critics, only time will tell how good a film really is(or isn't).