BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Here. And here. It sounds fantastic.

See the Empire review gives it 5 stars but adds:

But in the off-screen and on-screen story, the film Benjamin Button perhaps most resembles is Titanic

Titanic wasn't that bad, but thats certainly not a selling point and its definitely a film which has been reappraised critically over time since its release. I haven't seen Button yet, I probably will but have no great desire to.

Edited by tony gale's mic

I've been to the cinema a lot recently, there has been some really good stuff on. I've seen, The Wrestler, Australia, Che Part 1, The Reader, Valkyrie, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire and Frost / Nixon. Of all of them, I enjoyed The Wrestler, Australia and Slumdog Millionaire the most. I wish I had gone to see Role Models, it was supposed to be hilarious. I will be going to Gran Torino and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button when I get the chance. I've been taking advantage of Zaavi's big sales recently, buying a pile of DVD's. The best ones include, East Is East, 21 Grams, Father Of The Bride and The Counterfeiters. I also watched •REC the other night and it was brilliant. Think of a Spanish cross between Blair Witch Project and 28 Days Later. The ending scared the sh!t out of me.

I too have been to the cinema lots - must be the orange Wednesdays!

Milk is superb (think this has finished now), one of the best films I have seen.

Frost/Nixon - ditto above. Michael Sheen is a fantastic actor.

I enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire but it has been massively overhyped. Very entertaining though

Valkyrie was good but not great.

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - unneccessary prequel but mildly entertaining. Where are the decent horrors at the moment?

Vicky Cristina Barcelona - a typical Woody Allen flick and very funny in places. Enjoyed it much more than I thought I would plus there is lesbian action between Penelope Cruz and Scarlett Johansson ( a guy actually clapped in the cinema!)

BUT - I didn't like the Wrestler. And I think it is scandalous that Mickey Rourke got a BAFTA for best actor for it over Sean Penn in Milk. If you are a washed up actor and ex-boxer, it doesnt take acting skill to play a washed up wrestler. It wasn't a bad film, but I can't understand how people are raving about it. Thoroughly depressing and I never did like wrestling!

If you never did like wrestling then you won't know how incredible of a job that Rourke did. I wasn't watching him, I was watching a washed up wrestler try to salvage some sort of a life. Yes, very depressing, but that easily could have been the Ultimate Warrior in the role.

I thought Frank Langella was really good as Nixon, but I also knew I was watching Frank Langella play Nixon.

i found out about stallones new film today, the expendables, it might just have the greatest cast of all time Mickey Rourke, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham, Ben Kingsley, Forest Whitaker, Eric Roberts, Robert Knepper (t-Bag from prison break) and david zayas (oz, dexter). It doesn't get much better than that, it doesn't even matter what the films about, plus check out this picture of stallone, this is what shape he's got himself in for the role http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39866

Saw CHOKE the other day, bloody fantastic, like a Wes Anderson film without the quirkiness. Left me with the feeling like a mix of watching The Grifters and Garden State

Also avoid OUTLANDER unless you want a complete brain switch off for close to TWO FREAKING HOURS, James Caviezel is a hack.

it doesn't even matter what the films about, plus check out this picture of stallone, this is what shape he's got himself in for the role http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39866

I think the chances of us two liking the same films are remote at best. Surely the subject matter of the film is the most important thing not how many washed up appalling actors you can cram into it?

I think the chances of us two liking the same films are remote at best. Surely the subject matter of the film is the most important thing not how many washed up appalling actors you can cram into it?

I'm exaggerating obviously, of course subject matter is important but a film doesn't have to be oscar worthy for it to be enjoyable. Its fun to watch something you dont need to think about every now and again

i found out about stallones new film today, the expendables, it might just have the greatest cast of all time Mickey Rourke, Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Statham, Ben Kingsley, Forest Whitaker, Eric Roberts, Robert Knepper (t-Bag from prison break) and david zayas (oz, dexter). It doesn't get much better than that, it doesn't even matter what the films about, plus check out this picture of stallone, this is what shape he's got himself in for the role http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39866

expendables.jpg

Bloody hell! fair play to the guy,that would take some doing at 22 never mind 62!

Edited by bacup blue