BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Both.

Well the book certainly implies that it is a world wide cataclysm as the child was born right before the event and the fires etc were still raging across the country while he was approx 8-12 and no help forthcoming from unaffected nations?

And if there was fires that destroyed every living thing, tree and crop except a few survivors it certainly would be ashy and dark.

I saw The Road the other day. I loved the book and I was far from disappointed by the film. It's really very, very good. So much of it manages to replicate what was in the mind's eye when reading the novel. Comparing it to other 'End of the World' movies is inaccurate since nobody actually knows what has happened to the planet or why. It could be the US alone that has suffered this catastrophe or it could be the entire world. There is no way of knowing.

I've read the book, not seen the film.

I thought that the characters knew what had happened, it just wasn't mentioned by them. Maybe I missed something?

I also got the feeling that it was effectively a nuclear winter. No summer, ash everywhere from the blasts etc? Again, I could be putting 2 and 2 together!

Edited by DanLad

Anyone know of any really good new movies?

I liked Taken, I usually like gang type films, or anything with a good story....any ideas?!

Hughesy you should give Public Enemies a go.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009526-public_enemies/

I feel that it got a bit of a bad rap for some reason.

Depp did very well (as always) in my opinion.

"Fear and Trembling" is a very cool film to watch with the wife or girlfriend. I kind of stumbled across it as I had read the book and thought the movie was very well done. It is teh story of a Belgian woman who works for a mega company in Japan. It is hilarious and well worth a go.

Edited by rebelmswar

I saw The Road on Saturday - driving home from Cineworld, Bolton over Belmont in the fog and drizzle was a touch spooky afterwards!!

Really enjoyed the film which I felt captured the book very well. All the key elements of the story were there and the bleakness came over very well. I didn't expect the utter desolation of the book to get through on the screen and it wasn't as bleak as my mental picture but still done very well. I may have forgotten bits of the story but I don't recall the wife being so much a part of the story? My one criticism would be the boy too healthy, the other children in the film looked pretty distressed so why the boy had a healthy glow I can't imagine. My wife did suggest it was unreasonable to expect a child actor to starve himself just to fit the role - I'm not so sure, he probably got paid a lot. wink.gif

I also wanted to see Nowhere Boy but it dossn't seem to be on locally anymore and Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll was very limited. Don't the cinemas relaise if you give a film more than a week folk might come along.

Hughesy if you want good films I've mentioned three.

Edited by Paul

It is difficult to reprise an 80's show without the oringinal cast, but the one thing that will give credibility to The A Team movie is that Stephen J Canell is the man behind it and he was the man who brought The A Team to television in the 80's.

I would like to see a movie version of Airwolf as well as long as Donald Belasaurius was behind it.

Guest andrewpickup

I saw The Road the other day. I loved the book and I was far from disappointed by the film. It's really very, very good. So much of it manages to replicate what was in the mind's eye when reading the novel. Comparing it to other 'End of the World' movies is inaccurate since nobody actually knows what has happened to the planet or why. It could be the US alone that has suffered this catastrophe or it could be the entire world. There is no way of knowing.

agreed on all counts. we dont really have to get involved in why its happened as such

not as brutal as the book though

I also wanted to see Nowhere Boy but it dossn't seem to be on locally anymore and Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll was very limited. Don't the cinemas relaise if you give a film more than a week folk might come along.

Saw Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll on Saturday - it was very good indeed.

Sorry - couldn't resist that.

Paul - it's on at Vue in Blackburn and at the Reebok this week, though not in either cinema in Preston.