BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Guest Norbert

I liked the first three they made. The newer ones were them just showing off their CGI stuff. I'm not into it enough to read the books, but if they are after the time when Darth Vader dies, and the death star blows up for a 2nd time it could be interesting. Most of the leading actors are still knocking about, so perhaps they can be persuaded to be older versions of the characters.

On a related note, we'd probably have to watch more crap episodes of Family Guy when the films are made.

Episode 1 is terrible. Just terrible. 2 was too much love story nonesense and Anakin whining and not enough Clone Wars. Although the cartoon series' that they did about the Clone Wars were quite good. Episode 3 was ok, but Anakin's fall to the Dark Side was pathetic. It could and really should've been done much much better.

The books are great. I haven't read as many as I should, but they continue the story after the last film. You get to find out about Han / Leia's family and Luke rebuilding the Jedi order, and so on.. Really can't see what they're going to do with the next 3 films at all, unless they make films about a good proportion of the books. But I hope not..

The prequel trilogy completely fails on almost every cinematic level.

This is what happens you give a hack like Lucas complete creative control over a project. The warning signs were in Return of the Jedi.

Edited by Amarillo

bit of an overstatement there Amarillo, the 1st one was an awful film (and an embarrassingly awful starwars film) no argument, the 2nd and 3rd where decent sc-fi/fantasy/action films, but they weren't any where near as good as the original trilogy(but how many films in that genre are!)

No, they really weren't. Just because they had the Star Wars name and a big budget doesn't disguise how badly put together they were. Even the special effects seemed to take me out of the movie most of the time, instead of enhancing the experience. Lucash's egregious use of Green Screen effects sucks all the life out of the movies.

Guest Norbert

Must be hard trying to act when you're sitting on an object, and surrounded by green felt day after day. You're supposed to react to a whole world that just is not there at all, and imagine you're walking through some alien market etc.

Excessive CGI probably hinders the actors as well as the audience experience.

I'd like to think that for the 7th star wars film they would revert back to using miniature model sets,but i won't hold my breath.CGI is good on some films but on others it is just overkill and it spoils the films.

Also who ever decided to cast Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman in the leading roles for them films should have been shot.I've seen better performances at my local theatre.The success of the first trilogy was down to good story writing and excellent acting performances that drew the audience into their world and made the whole thing more believable.

As Han solo once said though: "I have a bad feeling about this..."

• Backroom

Watched The Departed the other day. Really good movie. Two people under cover in opposing camps, double-crossing and so on. I believe it's based on a Chinese or Hongkee film so might look out for that. Anyone else seen it?

I really enjoyed the Departed; it's a remake of internal affairs but having never seen that I wasn't sure what to expect and it kept my attention through its hefty duration

Watching Mama tomorrow, I like my horrors but not expecting too much

• 3 months later...