BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

71 was a good thriller, great action and holds your attention. A British soldier becomes separated from his unit in northern Ireland at the height of the troubles.

Got that one lined up to watch, got good reviews so looking forward to it.

Fury, brad Pitt world war two tank epic as they go behind enemy lines trying to push back desperate German rearguard. Wasn't expecting the awesome ending which was pure win.

Really? I loved the film until the ending. All the gritty realism they wanted destroyed in the last 20 minutes by a pure guff Hollywood ending. It's great to see the Tiger which is housed at Bovington Tank Museum (fantastic museum btw) get a proper run out.

Off now to find "The Guest" after the mentions on here.

and I've got Interstellar also lined up as it is the last one in the IMDB top 50 I need to watch. Not looking forward to that after the comments above.

and I've got Interstellar also lined up as it is the last one in the IMDB top 50 I need to watch. Not looking forward to that after the comments above.

Its definitely worth a watch and definitely a decent movie, I guess with Nolan attached and the sheer scale of the project its open to criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czanl5Twq-8

Watched Interstellar over Easter....hmmm

I can't decide whether it was a tour de force or a bit of a let down?

I suppose you can't argue with the ambition of the project, the scale of the set pieces and the thought provoking scientific parts, but was the storyline a bit of a stretch to far?

Intrigued to know what others thought.

Well I really enjoyed it. It's probably half an hour too long but the end was a really clever - if 'out there' - idea.

so I finally got around to watching Interstellar tonight, my summary without giving anything away(not that there's really anything to give away!) 1st 3rd= so so, 2nd 3rd= ZZZZzzzzz, final 3rd= I actually liked, although it still wasn't very exciting and some aspects where laughably predictable, clichéd and even blatantly ripping of far superior films in a few shots.

The father-son-daughter storyline had me welled up a few times(and im seriously not a crier at all, so that was a real achievement for the film) the sci-fi action thriller aspects where really boring and un-original, the way the science behind it all was explained in the movie was incredibly condescending to the viewer and just took you out of the film I felt, the special effects I found to be surprisingly lame in a seen-it-all before way(even in some of Nolan's own movies) the score was pretty overwhelming at times but again nothing original(it reminded me a lot of argentos giallo fim scores but with added pomp.)

Matthew McConaughey was great again but a lot of his performance was lost amongst all the visual and sound effects drowning him out, the rest of the cast didn't really get much screen time(even though the film was around the 3 hour mark) but they where all solid.

Edited by I.must.be.batty

• 2 months later...

Theres a really good new documantary film out there called 'going clear' its a behind the scenes look at scientology and its pretty interesting/bonkers, L ron hubbard seems like a real piece of work, but his successor david miscavaige is a whole now level of vile. It was shown on hbo in america earlier this year but now the church of Scientology are doing all they can to stop it being shown anywhere else(needles to say that it can be 'aquired' online from the usual places)

Edited by T J Batty Man

• Backroom

Watched Jurassic World this week, full of daft situations, dafter characters and the daftest of the daft of plots but I really enjoyed it. Just makes you smile.

• Like 2

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for it, nutcases that lot. I believe Louis Theroux is filming a documentary about them too.

The organisations just run by depraved conmen(and women) the followers are just your usual easily lead lost souls that get sucked into these kinds of cults.(or at leasy thays how its portrayed in the doc)

That said some of the techniques they practice(ie.'reducing') probably would be very effective techniques to use in phsychiatry by profesionals that wouldn't abuse it to virtually blackmail theire patients.

Edited by T J Batty Man

The organisations just run by depraved conmen(and women) the followers are just your usual easily lead lost souls that get sucked into these kinds of cults.(or at leasy thays how its portrayed in the doc)

That said some of the techniques they practice(ie.'reducing') probably would be very effective techniques to use in phsychiatry by profesionals that wouldn't abuse it to virtually blackmail theire patients.

They do seem rather sinister don't they

Far More than 'seem' if even a wuarter of the testimonies in the doc are true.

Cruise is a conundrum, he comes across as vile, egotistical and narcasistic as the rest of the leaders in the doc but he's such a great charismatic actor and so frickin enthusiastic it makes it really hard to dislike him even though i know i really should.

I watched a documentary a couple of years ago, on it they showed how vociferously the go after people who leave the 'church'. They really made this guys life hell. They call them squirrels or something.

On a side note I've noticed that recently there's been a few adverts for Scientology on TV.

I watched a documentary a couple of years ago, on it they showed how vociferously the go after people who leave the 'church'. They really made this guys life hell. They call them squirrels or something.

On a side note I've noticed that recently there's been a few adverts for Scientology on TV.

yes it shows the squirrels out in force in this one to, haven't noticed the tv adds though