BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

All this bitching about Star Wars being a remake is starting to grate. A bit of excitement and hype and everyone thinks they're Barry Norman.

I thought it was a fantastic, true to the original trilogy, and a very fitting way to hand over the franchise to the next generation. If you want something to bellyache over go and watch Episode 1.

I didn't think I was bitching about Star Wars just commenting the script was identical to the original. I discussed this with someone else who pointed out the different trilogies are intended to be about how three different generations tackled the same problem. I don't know if that's true or not.

As for the film itself, and this is my opinion not a bitch, I felt it was an average movie with a very obvious plot and the overall outcome of each of the individual scenes was predictable.

OK it's not made for my demographic but it should still be possible to recognise a good film. In the way for example Toy Story was primarily a children's film but appealed to a much wider audience. We went because my son would enjoy it not because we are big Star Wars fans.

If The Force Awakens is typical then hats off to George Lucas for keeping the franchise going for nigh on 40 years. It is an average shoot 'em up.

• Backroom

For me the Force Awakens was near perfect; sure it's almost a retelling but that's fine; the new characters were all brilliant and I can't wait for rest of the trilogy and beyond.

i thought it entertaining enough but was safe and buy the numbers(typical JJ Abraham) I thought having almost identical key plot elements to 'a new hope' was pretty lame, with all the money and scrip & screenplay twriters writers in the world at their disposal they could have come up with something more original, On the plus side though i think it was a solid platform to build on going forward, hopefully the writers and director of the coming films will be bolder and more original.

p.s. I think killing off 'that character' so soon in the trilogy and in such a lame arse way was a major guff.

Edited by T J Hooker

• 2 months later...

up to now i've always found Tarantinos films to range from very good to great but I watched The hateful eight this afternoon and found it totally pants, struggled to stay awake for the first 90 mins or so and the last 90 mins(or so) was just silly shallow rubbish, it takes more than some nice cinematography and an Ennio morricone score to make a great western

Edited by T J Hooker

• 3 weeks later...

Had a bit of a film fest yesterday .. Won't post any spoilers.

Batman n superman ...ignore the critics . 10/10

Star Wars .. Didn't see Spock once . Boring 1/10

5th wave ... Boring 0/10

Point break .. Fast n furious does adrenaline 9/10

• Like 1

Had a bit of a film fest yesterday .. Won't post any spoilers.

Batman n superman ...ignore the critics . 10/10

Star Wars .. Didn't see Spock once . Boring 1/10

5th wave ... Boring 0/10

Point break .. Fast n furious does adrenaline 9/10

Im also looking intrigued to see B Vs S despite the critics battering it, I'm not really a fan of Zak Snyder and have no idea how he's managed to get so much control over the DC movie universe but his films aren't usually bad, just very slow, over stylised and lacking any humour, but still looks well worth a watch.

I think a lot of the hate is coming from A. people are just fed up of seeing so many superhero films(and understandably so imo) so any superhero film that maybe good but isnt very good is getting the backlash B. all the marvel fanboy critics/reviewers pee on every film dc make regardless.

Edited by T J Hooker

Just been to see b Vs s this afternoon, blimy! I know rotten tomatoes scores and such should be taken with a pinch of salt but jeez theyve got it sooo wrong this time, obviously it wasn't flawless but still pretty bloody badass and easily one of the best superhero films ever.

P.s. surprised how many parents where in there with little(under 10s) its a pretty brutal dark nightmarish film for the most part.

Edited by T J Hooker

why? we had our grankids there and they loved it.

when i say young mean around infant school age and younger, even if it doesnt scare them it will definitely all just go over their heads. Maybe im just underistmating modern kids, i forget they're inundated with violent video game images and such these days. Edited by T J Hooker

• 2 weeks later...

watched a film last night on netflix, it was very very funny. it is called "look who's back'

it's about hitler leaping through time moments before his documented demise. he awakes in the same spot, but in 2014.

it's german language so you'll need to be able to read subtitles (or understand german).

highly recommend it just for the laughs, but it's not a one trick pony, as it has some interesting ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched 'Her' that I'd been wanting to watch for ages after it had been on Film 4. It's delightfully messed up, but I enjoyed it. Joaquin Phoenix played a bit of a weirdo very well indeed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I was half way through this fillum before I realised it wasn't that bloke out of 'Big Bang Theory'

I watched 11 cloverfield lane the other day, was expecting more, i found it pretty dull really, John Goodman was as great ever though(he's such a seriously underated actor)

I enjoyed that film a lot. There's a creepy tension throughout. But it did feel like the marketing people got hold of a decent screenplay and tagged another film on the end. It didnt ruin it, it just felt a bit jarring.

• Backroom

Watched 'Horns' last night. It was a great idea and I really enjoyed it until the cross and devil references ruined it at the end. For me it made for a tacky ending.