BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had an absolutely fantastic cinema experience yesterday. We went to Home Manchester which combines the old Cornerhouse cinema and Library theatre. 

The building itself is stylish, relaxed and nicely busy with an eclectic mix of people using it.

We had lunch in the Cafe Bar for £55 including drinks, coffee, three mains, three deserts. Two of us had Bhuda Bowls, the other a burger. I had an African BB with fried halloumi and wow, just wow, superb food followed by a white chocolate and rhubarb eclair - to die for.

The cinema itself is very comfortable, great seats, only £7 and while there is advertising it doesn't suffer from the awful screen advertisements one might see at the local Vue.

We watched the Korean film The Handmaiden which is based on The Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. It's very clever with a twisting plot which kept me engaged throughout. The settings, locations and shooting were excellent. This was the first Korean film I've seen, it's described as an erotic psychological thriller - both would be accurate!!

I couldn't previously imagine making a day out of going to watch a movie but I'm sure we will return many times. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

That sounds like a fantastic cinema Paul.  I'm glad some have started to differentiate as the boring Vue/Showcase/Odeon types are just expensive with no unique selling point.

And as for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I really enjoyed it, I just felt it was missing something but I can't put my finger on it.  Think I will need to watch it again.

• 1 month later...

I watched War for the Planet of the Apes in 3D last night.

I was a bit underwhelmed, the 3D added very little and the plot had not really moved on from Dawn.

It was also 20 minutes too long as I'd had a Heineken and a Wold Top Brewery "Anglers Reward" (which was a lovely local beer) during the film.

Edited by Biddy

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I like the re-booted franchise, but read a review this morning that said it should really be called 'Skirmish for the Planet of the Apes'.

Someone stole my tweet!

I put "I have just watched 2 long walks and a minor skirmish for the Planet of the Apes"

• 2 months later...

Kong: Skull Island.

Potentially the worst special effects in the opening i've ever seen. And i've watched Deep Blue Sea. 

How they have that budget and that level of 3D gets signed off i'll never know. Does improve later on, though.

On 10/7/2017 at 03:45, Phil T said:

Blade Runner 2049

I watched Blade Runner a couple of years ago and, frankly, hated it. "Sacrilege!" I hear you say! I didn't have a clue what was going on throughout, and the blurghblurgh music adversely affected my brain.

Blade Runner 2049 was great. I was struggling to keep up in the first 30 minutes, but after that, was hooked. The cinema I watched it in was amazing. About £10 for two of us, huge comfy seats, and no adverts. Nearly missed the beginning!

I really want to watch the original again. I've obviously missed something.

Not seen the new one yet but the original is a classic.  If you can, get the Final Cut which best represents Ridley Scott's vision for the film and was supervised entirely by him - the Theatrical Cut was overseen by studio suits (and has the terrible voiceover plus the 'happy' ending), while the Director's Cut was actually done by someone else using some notes the studio had from Scott but with very little involvement from him.

Watched IT last night after avoiding it like the plaque at the cinemas due to always being disappointed by remakes. Well I bit the bullet and watched it and was actually very pleasantly surprised. From the moment he bit off the little boys arm at the start - i knew this was heading in a more sinister direction. Really enjoyed it and liked how they are obviously making it a two parter rather than all in one like the original.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...