BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Even the awful glimmering Zeus and stupid 3D effects, Matt?

Recent movies:

- The Hurt Locker is just brilliant. Entirely worth the hype.

- Sherlock Holmes is rubbish. It helps if, whenever Sherlock gives another speech, you repeat "Science, science, science" in your head, louder and crazier each time. SCIENCE!

Disagree with that to be honest.

I found the Hurt Locker dull. To be fair I have already seen that story told (struggling to adapt back into society etc). Visually it was fantastic but a little boring.

However, I found Sherlock Holmes very very entertaining with strong performances from Jude Law and Robert Downey junior.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching Battle of Algiers. Wow, now that was a quality film. Shot documentary-style, it details the battle between the French colonialists and the independence-seeking FLN. The rooting out of terrorists, the civil disobediance, torture sessions, bombs plated in roadside cafes, soldiers being ambushed, the cycle of terrorism and counter-terrorism, modern-day analogues, guns hidden under burqas, it's got the lot.

Shot in the sixties in grainy black and white, it's 2 hours of cool.

Comes in at #228 in the IMDB top 250.

The-Battle-of-Algiers1.jpg

Trailer:

That list just shows the danger of producing a list on votes on the internet. I can't take seriously any list of the top 250 films that doesn't have any Robert Altman films in it. I don't recall seeing any Wim Wenders films on there either. Yet it's full of pretty ordinary stuff.

Clash Of The Titans - shockingly bad. Massively disappointed.

Centurion - first 20-30 minutes were awful and at times I was cringing, but then it got tolerably good in a no brainer way and was really enjoying it by the end. Extraordinarily gory though and it made me wonder what a film has to do to get an 18 certificate these days.

Can't wait to see Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and Prince of Persia.

- Green Zone tells a decent story and has great acting, but somehow manages to not be exciting when it should be riveting. Still really enjoyed it.

This had the potential to be a GREAT war movie, but ended up being a decent action flick. Would have liked to have seen the script with a less action oriented director.

Also saw Iron Man 2 - meets expectations in that it is an entertaining action movie, but entertaining, not great.

• Backroom

He's underrated save for his Oscar of course.

Underrated by most of the public due to him being a bit of a , I honestly think that film would have been an absolute smash if directed by someone else.

Has anyone been watching The Pacific on Sky Movies, the Tom hanks WW2 series? I've been recording it, but never had time to watch any yet. My hard drives nearly full now so I need to make an executive decision on whether to bother or not.

I'd certainly give it a watch. That said, it's not a patch on Band of Brothers. Some of the episodes have been very poor and while it is perhaps historically accurate that the USMC sat around on their arses for a lot of the Pacific campaign (that's certainly how it's been depicted in the series anyway), it doesn't make for interesting television. In one of the early episodes the ragged Marines get shipped to Australia for a rest. They appear to have earned it, yet the audience hasn't been through the same level of intense hardship as the characters. What made the later leisurely episodes of Band of Brother so effective was the brutal campaigning that had gone before - something that anyone watching would have experienced with the men of that series. You simply don't get that from the The Pacific. I can't help getting the feeling from it that for all the expensive production values, there's something big happening elsewhere away from the narrative.

Having said that, the last three episodes I've seen (6,7,8) have been very, very good.

Has anyone been watching The Pacific on Sky Movies, the Tom hanks WW2 series? I've been recording it, but never had time to watch any yet. My hard drives nearly full now so I need to make an executive decision on whether to bother or not.

Watched the first 4 so far, and it's excellent. If you liked Band Of Brothers, then you'll love it but even my missus has enjoyed it and she's not usually too taken with anything war-related.

Edited by MarkBRFC71

Just watched The Hangover.

It certainly had its moments, and did make me laugh out loud a few times. Not really amazing though.

Boooo! I loved it, but then I am pretty childish. Still think it's one of the best comedy's of the decade but then there haven't been that many good ones to compete with.

I watched Iron Man 2, thought it was enjoyable but nothing great, the ending was a bit of a let down that's for sure. Nothing memorable in it though in my opinion, other than drooling over Scarlett Johansson, can't actually remember anything else about the film other than the first fight scene and the end, lots of filler involved in my opinion. As I said it was enjoyable and easy watching but I wouldn't pay to see it again.

Clash Of The Titans - shockingly bad. Massively disappointed.

Centurion - first 20-30 minutes were awful and at times I was cringing, but then it got tolerably good in a no brainer way and was really enjoying it by the end. Extraordinarily gory though and it made me wonder what a film has to do to get an 18 certificate these days.

Can't wait to see Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and Prince of Persia.

I was disappointed by Clash Of The Titans. It was one of those movies that I had been looking forward to for ages. There were parts of it which I really enjoyed. But some of it was awful. I really enjoyed Centurion. I agree that the first 15 minutes weren't great. I would have loved to have known how he escaped at the beginning! But the rest of it was good. It was gory, but I found it easier to watch than say Braveheart. The scenes in that movie where the wife has her throat slit and then Mel slits the Lords throat, I just can't watch. Iron Man 2, Robin Hood and Prince of Persia are next on the list for me too.

I would also recommend The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It's one of the best movies I've seen in a while. It's quite disturbing and there's an awful rape scene in it. But the storyline is fantastic and there's a great atmosphere to it. It also doesn't look like a movie if you know what I mean. It looks more like a TV drama with the way it has been shot. A bloody brilliant TV drama!

I've been watching it too. It's quite good, but it's not a patch on Band Of Brothers. You don't have the same emotional involvement with the characters in The Pacific as you do in BOB. In BOB, you get to the know the characters over a couple of episodes as they train for war and as such, you actually care about them. In The Pacific, the first episode shows the men at home before going to war, but for whatever reason, I just didn't warm to them in the same way. It's a good show, it looks great and a lot of money has obviously been spent on it. But BOB is far grittier, looks better and far more realistic.