Sign in to follow this  
ABBEY

Movie Discussion

Tron Legacy is cracking. :tu:

It's ###### awful. Pisspoor script and worst dialogue of all time can't be fixed with average graphics and a phoned-in Daft Punk soundtrack.

It's ###### awful. Pisspoor script and worst dialogue of all time can't be fixed with average graphics and a phoned-in Daft Punk soundtrack.

Average graphics? I can see where you're coming from as far as the script is concerned but I thought visually it was dazzling.

Went to see Unstoppable last night. It nearly slipped off the radar before I got a chance to see it. It was a great. Nothing complicated, just a good watchable movie.

We had free tickets to go and see this as a preview and it is just that a good watchable movie. It is one of those films that people should get the dvd of to watch, much cheaper than the cinema!

Went to see the previews of Love and other drugs which was really good although probably a bit girly for you lot!

Off to see The Next Three Days on Tuesday - hopefully will be another good preview.

I heard a lot about the infamous 'fridge scene' from the latest Indiana Jones but I have finally just seen it, bloody ridiculous.

I heard a lot about the infamous 'fridge scene' from the latest Indiana Jones but I have finally just seen it, bloody ridiculous.

What are you on about? That's the best bit! ;)

Saw two very different movies recently.

True Grit was excellent and was a really enjoyable experience. I am a fan of both The Coen Brothers and westerns in general so they were preaching to the converted, but it is highly recommended to all.

On the other hand, Skyline was one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies I have ever seen. It truly is one of those so awful they are amusing movies. Mix the worst script with the worst acting you can think of, and make it as brainless as possible, and there you go. The number of gaping plot holes must be in the thousands. I soon learnt, after about 7 minutes, to not take it at all seriously and it was much the better for it. Some of the effects were quite good though, to be fair.

Went to see The Kings Speech. Was great! Had my attention from start to finish.

Went to see Gulliver's Travels last night. Had high hopes for it but I was unimpressed with the 3D effects and at times I was bored. Some funny moments but don't think it was worth paying to go see. Wait until it's on sky!

Went to see Gulliver's Travels last night. Had high hopes for it but I was unimpressed with the 3D effects and at times I was bored. Some funny moments but don't think it was worth paying to go see. Wait until it's on sky!

Jack Black in it, enough said.

True Grit was excellent and was a really enjoyable experience. I am a fan of both The Coen Brothers and westerns in general so they were preaching to the converted, but it is highly recommended to all.

On the other hand, Skyline was one of the most unintentionally hilarious movies I have ever seen. It truly is one of those so awful they are amusing movies. Mix the worst script with the worst acting you can think of, and make it as brainless as possible, and there you go. The number of gaping plot holes must be in the thousands. I soon learnt, after about 7 minutes, to not take it at all seriously and it was much the better for it. Some of the effects were quite good though, to be fair.

Skyline was the worst film I saw last year. Unspeakably bad.

Looking forward to seeing True Grit - am also a big fan of the Coens, and with Empire giving this a glowing review and 5 stars it's a must-see for me. Also quite fancy 127 Hours.

Finally managed to see Kick-Ass ..... great film, really enjoyed it.

Really looking forward to Tangled at the end of this month, gutted they didn't stick with the hand drawn / 3d hybrid style

Edit: Wrong thread. Oops.

Since I'm here, True Grit was decent - not the awesome Coen fare I'm used to, but still pretty good. The King's Speech was surprisingly good, too. Never ever liked Colin Firth but he was great.

Edited by sleepyjack

Looking forward to seeing True Grit - am also a big fan of the Coens, and with Empire giving this a glowing review and 5 stars it's a must-see for me. Also quite fancy 127 Hours.

127 Hours isn't bad. Unsurprisingly, it's a one man show and it is a good performance from Brolin. I don't think it is one of Boyle's best, to be honest, but is a decent film nonetheless.

Best thing I can say about True Grit is that it felt like you were watching a classic western. It isn't the greatest movie ever, but it was very good for that genre. Very enjoyable.

UNSTOPPABLE - Ok - 6.5/10 perhaps.

I would agree with that,not bad but not outstanding either.

Managed to finally watch `It`s a wonderful life` over xmas,what a great film,thoroughly enjoyable! 9/10 for me. :tu:

Edited by bacup blue

Tron Legacy is cracking. :tu:

Worst film I've seen this year. It's trying to be Star Wars: A New Hope in a computer but fails badly.

Dialogue awful. Graphics not great. Half of it's in 2-D - and they've even the cheek to tell you this at the start.

Almost walked out but was too busy falling asleep.

Daft Junk.

Worst film I've seen this year. It's trying to be Star Wars: A New Hope in a computer but fails badly.

Dialogue awful. Graphics not great. Half of it's in 2-D - and they've even the cheek to tell you this at the start.

Almost walked out but was too busy falling asleep.

Daft Junk.

I loved it. Sure, it's an unashamed tribute to the original, but that was a shallow, weak plotted Disney film too. It didn't stop it being awesome.

.... and wasn't the whole point of the 2D/3D that the "real world" was shot as 2D and inside the machine as 3D ? It certainly wasn't the Harry Potter style "we've post-processrf this next scene in 3D, put your glasses on now".

Clearly not a movie but a new experience we had at the cinema last weekend. Cineworld, Bolton featured a live broadcast of the Puccini's La Fanciulla del West (The Girl of the West) by the New York Met opera company. I didn't know cinemas did this sort of thing, it was both very good and very interesting, especially as during the intervals there was live broadcast of the set changes etc. which one would never usually see.

We're not great opera buffs, it's something we are trying out, and have been to a few live operas recently. Watching in the cinema is a very different experience from a truly live performance but gave us a chance to see one of the world's great opera companies "live" without flying to NY.

Clearly not a movie but a new experience we had at the cinema last weekend. Cineworld, Bolton featured a live broadcast of the Puccini's La Fanciulla del West (The Girl of the West) by the New York Met opera company. I didn't know cinemas did this sort of thing, it was both very good and very interesting, especially as during the intervals there was live broadcast of the set changes etc. which one would never usually see.

We're not great opera buffs, it's something we are trying out, and have been to a few live operas recently. Watching in the cinema is a very different experience from a truly live performance but gave us a chance to see one of the world's great opera companies "live" without flying to NY.

I didn't know there was opera on but I know the Cornerhouse in Manchester has a live feed of the musical Fela from the National this Thursday which is a similar idea.

You need to get down to see Opera North at the Lowry Paul, if you have not already done. Next visit is in the first week of March and I think we will be seeing Carmen.

Saw The King's Speech last night - excellent.

I didn't know there was opera on but I know the Cornerhouse in Manchester has a live feed of the musical Fela from the National this Thursday which is a similar idea.

Didn't know that. Interesting.

You need to get down to see Opera North at the Lowry Paul, if you have not already done. Next visit is in the first week of March and I think we will be seeing Carmen.

May well see you there in that case, I believe we have tickets. This will be my first Opera at the Lowry though my wife has been before. Love going to The Lowry, great building, lots of diverse stuff to see and a decent enough meal at Cafe Rouge!!

Saw The King's Speech last night - excellent.

Saturday for us.

For anyone who missed it locally Of Gods and Men is on at The Dukes Lancaster, January 17th-19th.