Sign in to follow this  
ABBEY

Movie Discussion

The Fighter is not bad, very formulaic but enlivened by some excellent acting and expect Christian Bale to be nominated for his portrayal of Wahlberg's crackhead has-been older brother. The story itself is the kind of thing that has been seen a ton of times before. Enjoyable, but forgettable.

Of the three films I have seen recently I would recommend -

1st. True grit

2nd. 127 Hours

3rd. The Fighter

2,756,874th. Skyline

May well see you there in that case, I believe we have tickets. This will be my first Opera at the Lowry though my wife has been before. Love going to The Lowry, great building, lots of diverse stuff to see and a decent enough meal at Cafe Rouge!!

We will be there on the Tuesday rather than Saturday. Saturday is Fulham away which is the perfect excuse for a weekend at the first born's flat in the East End. We will also more likely be in Pizza Express than Cafe Rouge! Agree with you on the Lowry - excellent venue, which I will be frequenting this Friday for the opening night of Richard Thompson's tour.

I've seen a couple of good movies recently. Sofia Coppola's new indie movie Somewhere is a brilliant movie. It stars Stephen Dorff, as a Hollywood actor who is emotionally dead from the vacant world he lives in. His daughter is the only thing of worth and their relationship is brilliantly captured. This is a very understated movie and you have to be a movie fan to really enjoy it. There are a couple of scenes, where nothing happens, as Dorff just sits in his empty world, which some people would just find boring. I also went to see The Way Back during the week, starring Jim Sturgess, Ed Harris, Colin Farrell and Saoirse Ronan. It's about people who escape a Siberian work camp during WW2 and trek all the way to India to escape communism. The cinematography is great and it's a good story, however there are parts where the film drags.

Another good movie is one with Robert DeNiro, Kate Beckinsale, Sam Rockford and Drew Barrymore called Everyone's Fine. I watched it online and really enjoyed it. Robert DeNiro is widower, who has never kept in close contact with his children. When they all cancel on coming to see him for a family reunion, he sets out to travel across America to see them all. It won't be winning any Oscars, but it was a nice movie, with some good scenes. Thinking of going to the King's Speech tonight.

Another good movie is one with Robert DeNiro, Kate Beckinsale, Sam Rockford and Drew Barrymore called Everyone's Fine. I watched it online and really enjoyed it. Robert DeNiro is widower, who has never kept in close contact with his children. When they all cancel on coming to see him for a family reunion, he sets out to travel across America to see them all. It won't be winning any Oscars, but it was a nice movie, with some good scenes. Thinking of going to the King's Speech tonight.

Sounds similar in some ways to that Jack Nicholson movie, About Schmidt?

I never saw About Schmidt, but I know it got good reviews.

I saw The Kings Speech last night and really enjoyed it. I thought that Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush put in good performances. I was surprised at how funny it was too. A really good show, but I'm not sure it deserves all the acclaim it's been getting.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but In Bruges is a well acted and very funny film. Watched it this morning while ironing!! You do need a very, very dark sense of humour though.

Loved In Bruges as well, it's quite a unique film that's hard to categorise which is always nice. Great acting from the three leads and some nice swings from being very funny to very poignant.

The Kings Speech last night and really enjoyed it. I thought that Colin Firth and Jeffrey Rush put in good performances. I was surprised at how funny it was too. A really good show, but I'm not sure it deserves all the acclaim it's been getting.
Can't help but feel this undersells one of the best films I have seen in years. It's funny, sad, draws you in and tells a story on several different levels. The isolation of the monarchy from the country, a difficult childhood, the importance of friendship, the sense of duty to the country, the ifluence of the establishment and obviously the struggle to overcome a speech impediment. A fabulous film which left me with tears in my eyes and wanting to see more. />I'm not a royalist and knew nothing of the subject matter before going but I felt I wanted to learn more about George VI and his contribution to the war. Edited by Paul

I'll agree with Paul on this. I went to see it yesterday.

It's a very "quiet" film, (nothing explodes and there are no car chases;) but it's very intelligent and often emotional, combining, as Paul said, a number of different strands.

I hope I'm not posting a spoiler here but I've rarely been so tense at a film as when Colin Firth as George V1 has to do his "we are at war" live radio broadcast.

The King's speech was superb. Geoffrey Rush stole the show for me as Lionel Logue, he missed out on the golden globe to Christian Bale which is scandalous.

Like you Paul, the first thing I did when I got back what look up what happened to Edward (turns out he was a bit bonkers, but living in the Bahamas in near exile isn't too bad!), and of course to what extent the storyline of the film was true. I normally can't bear Helena Bonham Carter but found her quite endearing in this movie.

A must see.

The King's speech was superb. Geoffrey Rush stole the show for me as Lionel Logue, he missed out on the golden globe to Christian Bale which is scandalous.

Like you Paul, the first thing I did when I got back what look up what happened to Edward (turns out he was a bit bonkers, but living in the Bahamas in near exile isn't too bad!), and of course to what extent the storyline of the film was true. I normally can't bear Helena Bonham Carter but found her quite endearing in this movie.

A must see.

Good though The Kings Speech is (and it is very good), I'm just back from seeing Blue Valentine, which I think surpasses it. Again like Colin's comment above, there are no explosions, car chases, robots shooting each other - just two ordinary people falling into and out of love. Some others who I know have seen it have found some scenes almost too painful to watch. I didn't really feel that but there is real emotion there.

Also another +1 for the Kings Speech - saw it last night and thought it was very good, it will win more at the Oscars I would imagine

Good though The Kings Speech is (and it is very good), I'm just back from seeing Blue Valentine, which I think surpasses it.

I have seen them both and think The King's Speech is the better film. It is true enough that Blue Valentine is interesting and very emotional at times, however.

I'm just back from seeing Blue Valentine,

OK that's Saturday night organised then!

Watched "The A Team" - threw up in my mouth.

Watched "Day of the Dead" remake - contemplated suicide.

Watched "Friday the 13th" remake - decided that hell would not be that bad as I am there already.

Watched "Dawn of the Dead" 1978 - felt better about living.

Long flight made even longer.

I loved the A-Team. What were people expecting? :D

Edited by Rovermatt

The A-Team was quite good, I thought, funny at times and enjoyably forgettable.

Rebelmswar - don't watch the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I think that would finish off your those remaining remants of your will to live.

OK that's Saturday night organised then!

I'm flattered Paul! I was going to say that you need to book if you're going to the Cornerhouse but I see it's on locally from tomorrow. I would avoid the Cornerhouse for this because it was in the smallest screen (3), which is not much bigger than my front room and it was packed on Tuesday night.

The A-Team was quite good, I thought, funny at times and enjoyably forgettable.

Rebelmswar - don't watch the Nightmare on Elm Street remake. I think that would finish off your those remaining remants of your will to live.

The A-Team..... they killed the van. A tear came to my eye.

I will stay clear for awhile - there are only so many remakes that one can take.

If things continue like they are they will be making a remake of Die Hard 2, and that would be paramount to blasphemy.

Quite possibly the most boringest movie ever ever made.

Perhaps I'm not in its niche market audience of people on their death bed about to expire.

A Team - nowhere near as much fun as the original, or maybe that's just me being

sentimental? It was OK, but as has been said, entirely forgettable.

And whoever plays BA ain't **** compared to Mr T.

Edited by Bryan

A Team - nowhere near as much fun as the original, or maybe that's just me being

sentimental?

Possibly. The original TV series was pretty crap, to be honest.

It was certainly no classic, that is for sure.

The movie was as good as the TV shows.

Watched 'Green Zone' last night, a bit predictable but enjoyed it. Hoping to catch Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes effort tonight, or maybe The Book Of Eli. Trying to get through some of the stuff on my Sky+!

Edited by MarkBRFC71

Has anyone seen four lions? Odd film not sure if it was any good or not yet