BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Watched Super 8 last night.

It was pretty good, although not quite as good as I'd thought it would be.

Maybe my expectations were too high...

Brilliant movie, lots of shocks and funny moments. It's as much a mockery of suphero movies, as it is a portrait of a deranged, mentally-ill person. It was funny, but it's kinda disturbing when you think about the fact that there were so many allusions to a character that you would normally see as the 'antagonist' and psycho-murderer in a crime/thriller movie or a show like Law & Order. It's not for everyone though, but if you're actually comparing it to a teen comedy like Kick Ass then you've probably missed the point. This movie goes to extremes, it went from people laughing out loud to sounding very uneasy and squeamish in the cinema.

It's one of many movies I've seen this year at the Melbourne International Film Festival. Lots of really bizarre plots that you won't find normally - have loved every movie I've seen so far.

Saw a great little Aussie movie last week. Animal Kingdom.The woman who played the dysfunctional famiy's matriach was scarily psychotic.

Watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes tonight.

Really not sure what to expect...i'm thinking King Kong/monkey shines/jurrasic park.

As it's an american film about something rising against humans, i'm going to stick my neck out and say the usa army saves the day and kill the apes.

As it's an american film about something rising against humans, i'm going to stick my neck out and say the usa army Marines saves the day and kill the apes.

Fixed in the interests of realism. :P

Actually, as I think it is a "prequel" I'm fairly sure we don't save the day this time around. :(

• Backroom

The original title of this topic is relevent to me at the moment, recently got the first 3 Pirates of the Carribean BluRays and going through them, just watched the second and I'm really enjoying them.

As a huge fan of WDW it's great fun spotting references to the PotC ride that the films were based on. Some influences from Monkey Island as well no doubt although Monkey Island originally took some influence from the PotC ride I believe.

Edited by Tom M

I looked and couldnt find a thread.

I went to watch The Inbetweeners earlier (In a vain attempt to remain young on my 30th Birthday) and it was really funny but theres a bit which most Rovers fans will like as it shows their displeasure of Burnley and another scene where if you look hard enough you can spot a Rovers badge :D

You didn't look too far then the other one was on the first page :P

I did look, I nearly posted it in the music discussion thread by accident. That's the last topic on this board. The search button just said I didn't have permission to use it for some reason.

Went to see the new Planet of the Apes film on Tuesday, went with my parents as my Mum was starting her first chemo treatment on Wednesday so we wanted to get her out of the house/relaxed.

Overall I thought the film was good with Franco, Lithgow playing good parts and Serkis doing a stellar job as he did in LOTR with the motion capture stuff. When you see films that have had a lot of CGI done it sometimes detracts from the film as it's either too over the top or the quality of the CGI is poor. I thought the CGI work was pretty good and blended well into the film.

Edited by RibbleValleyRover

• Backroom

I'll be going to see Final Destination 802 when it's out, I know exactly what to expect but I know I'll enjoy it for some reason.

Looking forward to Prometheus which is a Ridley Scott film set in the Alien universe.

Edited by Tom M

I went to see Super 8 and The Guard last week and enjoyed both of them. Super 8 was really good and reminded me of the movies from my childhood, where kids got up to adventures, lived in tree houses and rode around on BMXs. It was very entertaining and had some funny moments that you associate with Speilberg's child based movies.

The Guard is also very funny, but I would say that you would have to be Irish to really get the sense of humour behind the movie.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Inbetweeners movie, Planet Of The Apes and Conan!

I saw The Inbetweeners Movie last night and really enjoyed it. I had my doubts about it, as I felt that the last series was a bit dry and was worried that this would be the same. But I thought it was very funny. It is just like a long episode set in the sun. There are some knob Burnley fans on a bus that made me laugh and then a guy with a Rovers tattoo at the hole of a hotel that they were staying in! Crude fun!

Watched a film last night called Tucker and Dale vs Evil, Basically collage kids go camping in red neck territory.

Only this time you see it from the hill billies side.

A group of kids that have seen to many teen horrors and 2 unlucky well meaning care free hillbillies.

Really enjoyed it, funny and a real charm to it.

Edited by Nelsta