BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Director of Football

den

It's rumoured that Venky's might be looking to appoint a D.O.F. What do people think?

Here are my views:

Interesting.

In a stable club with good management on and off the field, DOF's have always seemed to me to be more of a destabilising factor. When everything is going well and the manager has all the necessary qualities, I would be dead against this.

However, at the moment, for Venky's it could be a very good move. As long as the DOF is a top footballing man and Venky's actually listen to what he tells them, it could be a turning point - in the short term at least. It would give Venky's the expertise that they are looking for, and it would definately make the manager answerable to someone who knows what they're talking about. Venky's would also get the independent advice on the use of agents and general footballing decisions that they very much lack.

So, short term I reckon it could bring the turning point that the club needs.

Interesting.

I am very sceptical about the idea of bringing in a Director of Football and especially in our case. A Director of Football usually deals with trimming costs, sorting out the scouting of players and liaise between the manager and the owners. The day to day stuff is usually left with the manager. If this is the role of our Director of Football then I can't see anything changing as our manager is tactically inept and motivationally lacking.

If this goes ahead then it's clear is a move by JA/SEM/Kentaro to put up a human shield around their boy wonder. The DOF will be the one to get the sack and not Kean, who is the root cause of our current problems.

I'm almost certain Rovers are going down if this move goes ahead.

I said in the other thread I would love Kean to efftively become head coach / assistant and a real manager come in

love is a strong word

would like to start fresh, Kean will always be a joke if he is number two, a very unsuccessful manager a very unsuccessful assistant manager.

• Backroom

Why would you love it Tom?

Does this club not deserve a fresh start instead of this constant pandering to Steve Kean?

True true but I just cant see Kean being sacked and I think he could actually be a decent enough coach just not top man.

I get the impression that at the moment, in regards to the manager situation and general footballing matters, Venky's don't know which way to turn.

IMO, a DOF would allow Venky's to take control of the club's finances, sponsorship, pushing the rovers brand [if that's possible, but it is what they want to do] and day to day running of the club - and it would allow them to develop the club behind the scenes, while all footballing matters - including the manager's position - would be lead by someone who would be able to make the right judgements.

Isn't that what the fans always wanted Venky's to do?

I get the impression that at the moment, in regards to the manager situation and general footballing matters, Venky's don't know which way to turn.

IMO, a DOF would allow Venky's to take control of the club's finances, sponsorship, pushing the rovers brand [if that's possible, but it is what they want to do] and day to day running of the club - and it would allow them to develop the club behind the scenes, while all footballing matters - including the manager's position - would be lead by someone who would be able to make the right judgements.

Isn't that what the fans always wanted Venky's to do?

what exactly did Kenny do as director of football?

I don't want any situation that is based around Kean or helping Kean or ensuring Kean stays in a job.

Bottom line we need a good manager.

I don't want any situation that is based around Kean or helping Kean or ensuring Kean stays in a job.

Bottom line we need a good manager.

Can't you understand what I'm saying?

A DOF would get rid of an underperforming manager and have the wherewhithall to find a manager who would be an improvement.

Can't you understand what I'm saying?

A DOF would get rid of an underperforming manager and have the wherewhithall to find a manager who would be an improvement.

Depends what the remit of the DOF would be Den.

If he had a decent pedigree and would be in charge of all footballing decisions then maybe it might work.

If stuff like team selection, tactical decisions etc are left with Kean then surely it's just a case of more of the same?

Depends what the remit of the DOF would be Den.

If he had a decent pedigree and would be in charge of all footballing decisions then maybe it might work.

If stuff like team selection, tactical decisions etc are left with Kean then surely it's just a case of more of the same?

From my first post RVR:

"As long as the DOF is a top footballing man and Venky's actually listen to what he tells them, it could be a turning point"

I also said that Kean, because of his performances, wouldn't survive under a DOF. As a temporary measure for maybe two or three seasons I reckon it could work.

Plus a lot of really good managers hate directors of football in the PL. It's rarely a success unless the Manager is outstanding and still I doubt the DOF has much to do with tactics and selection.

I'm not suggesting that he has any influence over tactics or team selection Chris.

It's one way that might help Venky's get the club running in the way we all think it should - good manager in, manager being held responsible for "results", agents sorted etc, etc.

I think Venkys are honourable people and having given their word that they will not sack Kean they now can't go back on that. That is why he's unsackable - not because of his own merits but because of the ethics of his paymasters. ... IMHO

HOWEVER there are other ways in which the situation can be manipulated to the benefit of Blackburn Rovers without necessarily having to sack Steve Kean.

We'll wait and see how the game unfolds...

Director of football isn't bad just hasn't really worked in UK game. Maybe we cling to the manager is king idea. It can work really well but depends on the people involved. EVen with a DoF kean would be still be a bad manager. Does anyone know when this announced with be?

There's no doubt in my mind that we need someone to manage the team manager and if this is called a DoF then fair enough. This doesn't have to be an actual manager or coach but just someone who can manage the relationship with the owners and be responsible for the high level football side of things while the team manager gets on with managing the team. The DoF should be the person who goes to India to meet the oweners, not the coach. Seems sensible to bring someone in but they need to have the authority to sack the manager and bring someone in who knows what they are doing.

Archived