BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is it legal to eject someone due to their clothing?

EwoodDawn

I'm pretty sure that the Stoke stewards acted on behalf of advice from the two horrible little b*stards who travel with the official travel (one of them wears a blazer with a Rovers badge). When the banner went up at the back of the stand it was definately those two who told the Stoke stewards to take it down.

Still the upside is that next season they won't be needed so they can go back to being nobodies.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackburn Rovers Stewards were requested to assist at Wigan and Stoke. These stewards were wearing a Security firms jackets not BRFC ones.

The two I'm referring to travel on the official club transport and don't wear fluorescent coats or security jackets and are full of their own self importance. As I said one of them always wears a blazer with a Rovers badge on it. They stood and faced the crowd in a most intimidatory manner for the duration of the game and were advising the Stoke stewards on what to do.

Trespass is a civil matter though, and therefore the police can have NOTHING to do with it, especially not arrest you. If they did you'd be able to smack them with a wrongful arrest claim. It's the old 'trespassers will be prosecuted' fallacy...

I've found the season ticket terms and conditions. The relevant paragraphs read:

ADMISSION TO THE GROUND

...............Blackburn Rovers is committed to preventing discrimination in all its fields of operation and

within its stadium, providing an environment free from racial abuse, harassment, bullying

and victimisation. Any Season Ticket holder engaging in such abuse or harassment will

have their Season Ticket confiscated and be banned from attending future games involving

Blackburn Rovers. No refunds will be issued.........

Well I guess it could be argued the relevant bit is the above as Kean Out etc. etc. could be interpreted as harassing, bullying and victimising the manager!!

Next Saturday I will be wearing my 94/95 yellow / black away shirt. I'm doing this to show I support the club, the team and what we have achieved in the past PLUS it is yellow and therefore contributes to the yellow effect Glen is looking for. I'm a bit old for T-shirts!!

The two I'm referring to travel on the official club transport and don't wear fluorescent coats or security jackets and are full of their own self importance. As I said one of them always wears a blazer with a Rovers badge on it. They stood and faced the crowd in a most intimidatory manner for the duration of the game and were advising the Stoke stewards on what to do.

Ah yes, the man who looks like a stick insect.

I would love him to try and take my anti-Kean/Venys t-shirt off.

And no they cannot eject you for wearing these shirts unless they are abusive, racist etc, which they are not.

But of course, according to some, such shirts may put our overpaid players off from putting in a full shift.

seriously if anyone is ejected for wearing such a t shirt, or a scarf, them MB me.

My missus is a partner in a national law firm, and a very good friend of mine is one of the UK's top criminal barristers.

If you want to take out a civil case aginst BRFC, or any other club, then they may take the case on a pro bona (free) basis given the positive publicity for them and likelihood of winning.

If they do try and eject you or remove items of clothing then: do not retaliate; make it difficult for them by making your body all stiff (no smutty jokes please!!), and; get witnesses and if possible photographs.

WTF HAVE ROVERS BECOME!!!!!!!!!

You are right to ask Abbey. What has happened to our club? They now consider the fans to be the enemy and conspire to thwart them at every turn.

It smacks of the slimy Kean. What will this man not do to hang on to his conspirationally gotten job?

seriously if anyone is ejected for wearing such a t shirt, or a scarf, them MB me.

My missus is a partner in a national law firm, and a very good friend of mine is one of the UK's top criminal barristers.

If you want to take out a civil case aginst BRFC, or any other club, then they may take the case on a pro bona (free) basis given the positive publicity for them and likelihood of winning.

If they do try and eject you or remove items of clothing then: do not retaliate; make it difficult for them by making your body all stiff (no smutty jokes please!!), and; get witnesses and if possible photographs.

If this has actually happened, then it is oppression.

However, they would have a very simple defence - it could be deemed as inciting a riot.They would focus on the division between fans, on the same grounds as if a bunch of dingles tried to enter wearing their distasteful blend.

The right of refusal in this case is so arbitrary, that any action taken against the club would be futile (other than maybe a bit of publicity around the cause).

I think we need a new thread on a point raised in the 'Stoke away' thread. Apparently people were asked to remove their protest T-shirts today. Posters have suggested that this is against their human rights. When we play at Ewood, can anyone legally ask us to do anything regarding our appearance? When I signed my season ticket forms, there were no clauses regarding our clothing. I'd really like people from a legal background to clarify this issue before next weekend.

One person who maybe able to answer that would be a pub landlord. I know some pubs that refuse entry when wearing a hoody, as do some shopping malls. Therefore there must be some law that allows them to impose such rules.

How have pubs and shopping malls got away with banning hoodies.

One person who maybe able to answer that would be a pub landlord. I know some pubs that refuse entry when wearing a hoody, as do some shopping malls. Therefore there must be some law that allows them to impose such rules.

As a licensee... we do have the right to refuse entry to anybody, with or without explanation. It is solely down to our discretion.

• Moderation Lead

How have pubs and shopping malls got away with banning hoodies.

It's not unusual for pubs/bars to have a dress code to be fair.

As for shopping malls, I only imagine it's to do with the way those who wear them are perceived in society. That said, I've never heard of a shopping mall banning hoodies.

Private property but public place so can't discriminate but they have the right to refuse entry on any other grounds.

When all this over we have some real rotten individuals who were here before Venky's and are now revelling in this anti supporter enviroment that need thier P45's. Saying that the way the club is being run into the ground they will be jobless shortly anyway soon, unfortunatley along with some very good hard working people.

I think the the club do have the right to refuse entry on any grounds that they care to think up.

If you are refused entry, say for wearing a Kean out T-shirt (which is not illegal in the eyes of the law), what are your rights to a full refund of your ticket or 1/19th of your season ticket.

Nonetheless, the licensee can always refuse as indicated above. There is no public right of way. You are effectively invited onto someone else's property and granted a temporary licence to remain. If rejected, a refund / compensation may become a possibility if a breach of contract can be shown. Most don't reject as a p.r. move. Same as shops will refund when not obliged to do so.

Pro bona? I think you may in fact be referring to pro bono. A bona may be something else.

The hoodies thing I believe was argued around security issues. i.e. tantamount to a balaclava. Identification becoming nigh on impossible in the event of theft etc.

I think your right. As it brought into question the burka, or whatever its called. As this also caused security issues.

Basically the answer to the question.that started this thread, is YES they can ban any protest t-shirt etc, ask.it to removed and evict if refused at their discretion.

I think the the club do have the right to refuse entry on any grounds that they care to think up.

If you are refused entry, say for wearing a Kean out T-shirt (which is not illegal in the eyes of the law), what are your rights to a full refund of your ticket or 1/19th of your season ticket.

Again from the ST terms and conditions.

CHANGES TO DATES, REFUNDS & EXCHANGES

The Club reserves the right to change its advertised fixtures without notice and without

liability. Play cannot be guaranteed to take place on a particular day or at any particular

time. It is the responsibility of the Season Ticket Holder to ascertain the date and kick off

time of any fixture.

NO REFUNDS can be given under any circumstances for individual matches that the Season

Ticket holder cannot attend. The Club cannot guarantee that your seat (or the designated

area of the stadium in the case of the WEC Darwen End Season Ticket) will not be affected

by adverse weather conditions. Blackburn Rovers excludes to the maximum extent permitted

by law any liability for loss, injury or damage to persons/property in or around the ground.

They would just use that to say no. Also, they would say you had breached the terms and conditions of the ST and therefore the fact you were not able to attend the game was your fault and not theirs.

Trespass is a civil matter though, and therefore the police can have NOTHING to do with it, especially not arrest you. If they did you'd be able to smack them with a wrongful arrest claim. It's the old 'trespassers will be prosecuted' fallacy...

WARNING Trespass can also be a criminal offence if it constitutes 'aggravated' trespass under Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 section 68. This may occur, for instance, where people are engaged in an activity and you are obstructing or disrupting that activity. Under section 69 the police can arrest you if you refuse to leave after they have requested you to do so.

Archived