BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] UFC / mixed martial arts

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close fight between Sonnen and Bisping, thought Sonnen shaded it JUST. There was no way it was a 30-27 fight though, the judging sometimes is beyond a joke. On Maia's showing tonight I would have expected Bisping to have breezed through him had that fight gone ahead as originally intended.

Sonnen v Silva is going to be entertaining and with it being set to go ahead in Brazil the UFC may need to ramp up their security around Sonnen as to say he isn't liked in that part of the world is a bit of an understatement.

I watched it on ESPN. When the events are on Fox in the States they seem to start at about 1am over here as opposed to the usual 3am start. Last night their were only the three fights broadcast on ESPN, one thing I did spot was that on my freeview EPG it had it down as UFC 1am-3am but on our Tivo box it stated that boxing was due on between those times which I thought was odd.

Three terrible fights in that card. I watched the last half of Maia vs Whoever The Hell That Was on fast forward, Bisping and Sonnen was two men hugging for 15 minutes, and I have no idea how Rashad couldn't finish the very limited Davis. I don't think I've ever seen a more boring UFC event.

You're talking about a guy who fights like he's in The Matrix versus somebody who's lost 11 times and isn't known as a stand-up fighter. Yet somehow Sonnen was able to consistently beat Anderson to the punch - far superior strikers have never come close to doing that. I'd say it points to something being wrong there. Anyway, why would he lie about it? He made Sonnen quit and won the fight. Game over.

I don't remember Anderson fighting like he's in The Matrix when he fought Damian Maia or Thales Leites do you?

One thing i've noticed about Sonnen is that he's willing to walk through shots to get close enough to shoot a double. He did it to Silva, caught him off guard and landed as a result. I'm not saying Sonnen is that good a striker, i'm saying Silva under-estimated him

and got caught as a result.

Why would he lie? - Because he got schooled for 4 and a half rounds. Whatever about getting the win, the guy got beaten up by someone with 11 defeats on his record. He wasn't about to give Sonnen credit and say how much tougher he was than was expected. Thats my theory anyway.

Three terrible fights in that card. I watched the last half of Maia vs Whoever The Hell That Was on fast forward, Bisping and Sonnen was two men hugging for 15 minutes, and I have no idea how Rashad couldn't finish the very limited Davis. I don't think I've ever seen a more boring UFC event.

Couldn't agree more. The Maia fight was excusable for Weidman as he took the bout on 11 days notice and had to cut 32 pounds to make the weight. But Maia was terrible, his stand-up is still nowhere near where it needs to be and for all his submission skills, the guy struggles to take people down.

Thought the Sonnen-Bisping fight was ok but nothing special. You know what your gonna get with a Sonnen fight and thats usually a lot of stiffling control either from top position or on the fence. Thought Bisping should have got the nod though!

Rashad should have finished Davis i agree, im not a huge Jones fan but imagine if he'd have been in there with Davis. The guy wouldn't have seen the 2nd round.

All in all a poor event but hopefully Diaz v Condit this weekend should make up for it! :)

I don't remember Anderson fighting like he's in The Matrix when he fought Damian Maia or Thales Leites do you?

One thing i've noticed about Sonnen is that he's willing to walk through shots to get close enough to shoot a double. He did it to Silva, caught him off guard and landed as a result. I'm not saying Sonnen is that good a striker, i'm saying Silva under-estimated him

and got caught as a result.

Why would he lie? - Because he got schooled for 4 and a half rounds. Whatever about getting the win, the guy got beaten up by someone with 11 defeats on his record. He wasn't about to give Sonnen credit and say how much tougher he was than was expected. Thats my theory anyway.

He was boring against Leites (and Cote) who refused to engage. The Maia fight, he was just clowning until he gassed and had to go on the defensive. Most other times, though, Silva does something extraordinary. And Sonnen didn't just walk through his shots to get the takedown, he was actually winning the standup at times. Anderson couldn't hit him.

Like you said, Sonnen isn't an amazing striker - he doesn't really strike with anyone - but it seems to me that it's unlikely he could have got the better of the best striker in MMA without there being something strange about the fight. Injury, underestimation, or just Anderson being past it.

Anyone see this weekend's fights? The main event was so bad, I've only just mustered up the will to post about it. Condit just ran away! Fair enough, Diaz should have been able to do something about it other than walk straight forward for five rounds, but that's no way to win a championship. Almost reminiscent of Kalib Starnes vs Nate Quarry with added leg kicks, or Henderson vs Bisping without the brutal KO. Very poor show.

Archived