BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Bolton

blackburn.jpg&w=340&h=340&ei=bGrqTsuoF4-r8QOT5eiSCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=1&sig=108402616672849336151&page=1&tbnh=158&tbnw=158&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=101&ty=59

VERSUShttp://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=bolton+wanderers&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ACPW_en___GB393&biw=1366&bih=566&tbm=isch&tbnid=sNfR36A6ZH6kTM:&imgrefurl=http://soccerlens.com/bolton-transfers/&docid=GMt7Tr2FTeCS4M&imgurl=http://soccerlens.com/files/2010/05/bolton.png&w=256&h=256&ei=pWrqTpWrOcqX8QPTpNGBCg&zoom=1

Tuesday 20th December 2011

Well folks, it’s the pantomime season and here we are, entertaining our near neighbours from Bolton as the last home game of 2011. What a year a difference makes eh ?

Both Bolton and Rovers are known as teams who are set up to fight for each ball, play from the heart, chase a lost cause and do anything to upset the applecart when the big boys come to town.

As I write, the league table puts us both in the bottom 2, the current managers both find themselves subject to pressure from supporters and both teams have seen their worlds torn apart with on field problems, lowering home crowds, unrest from the fans, upheaval off the pitch and money worries.

So then, how can these two great Lancashire clubs make seasonal cheer for their broken hearted fans ?

Normally, these games are quite entertaining affairs with their fair share of excitement, good football, never say die attitudes and the odd bit of nastiness and cheating thrown in for good measure. I am certain that both sets of supporters will be hoping for festive cheer come Tuesday night as the game itself is one of those 6 pointer affairs. For Rovers it’s the second of two home games on the bounce and victory is vitally important if we are to escape the bottom 3 prior to away visits to coastland and mankland. 6 points are a must. Bolton on the other hand face two away games this week, a 0 point haul would see them well and truly in the mire prior to the new year.

My own memories of Rovers v Bolton matches stretches all the way back to 1976. It was the very first time I had ventured to Burnden Park and it was a belated birthday treat. The great John Waddington scored Rovers winning goal in front of a 25000 plus crowd.

In 1978 I turned up at Ewood wondering why the Blackburn End were singing Bolton songs, it was only when I got into the ground that I realised their fans had taken half the Blackburn End on their way to Division 1. I remember Rovers losing 1-0 as Bolton had some real stars in their line up. The crowd that night at Ewood was over 27000, good atmosphere but bad result as Rovers finished in 5th spot in Division 2.

Throughout the 80’s games were often close with the odd goal settling games when they weren’t draws. I think one of the best games I recall from this period was a 2-2 draw at Bolton over the festive period.

Throughout the Premier League era, both clubs have suffered promotion and relegation (Bolton more than Rovers). However the games have always been relatively close affairs when our paths have crossed. Rovers have the upper hand with games won with recent results going in the main Rovers way. Memories include the Rovers winning 4-1 away on a Friday evening in February, a Fat Boy McCarthy double in a win at the breezeblock, a Dunny special and spectacular own goal cementing a Rovers win again away and a Nolan blockbuster to boot. The games have had sendings off (Cole and Roberts), cheating (Spit the Diouf) and the added attraction of Big Sam managing Rovers after leaving Bolton in the lurch when he faffed off the Newcastle. It would be remiss of me to say that there have been seasons where they away team have taken the points on more occasions than not, so anyone thinking Rovers have it already won should think again.

There have been numerous players who have turned out for both clubs. Recent names include Sellers, Frandsen, Warhurst, Hendry, Diouf and Jansen

On to Tuesday, what do we think ? Of course a Ropvers pre Christmas win would be great, especially of we could beat WBA on Saturday. I don’t see New Year joy in the form of gifts from Liverpool and Mank United so we have to hope for a 50% point return and 6 from 12.

I am not going to do any prediction or a q and a session. I want to wish all our members a very merry Christmas and wish you and your families all the very best for the new year. That includes our regular visitors from Bolton including Zulu.

Finally, a thought. Who gets your vote as the worst of the two ? Kean or Coyle ?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always look forward to this fixture.

Other players for both clubs that spring to mind are Kevin Davies, (and for older supporters)John Byrom, Reg Elvy, and Bobby Langton.

1864, just before your time, in the early 70's, I went to Burnden Park to watch Rovers (3rd in the league) play Bolton W (top of the league); a night match. The crowd was 33,000; quite something for a third division game.

We won 1-0 with a goal by Derek Fazackerley.

Unfortunately we still didn't get promotion that year. We were pipped by Notts County who were runners-up to Bolton W.

I'm so anti-"positive" at the moment I think we'll lose the game and go bottom. And that's where we'll stay.angry.gif

1864, just before your time, in the early 70's, I went to Burnden Park to watch Rovers (3rd in the league) play Bolton W (top of the league); a night match. The crowd was 33,000; quite something for a third division game.

We won 1-0 with a goal by Derek Fazackerley.

I was there. Feel you undersold that goal, it was a screamer.

The story's I'm hearing point to Coyle having lost the players. They are turning their back or walking away when he speaks to them in training :o

If we can't win this one we really have had it.

Guest Rovers4Good

[quote name='AggyBlue' timestamp='1323990688' post='1195486'

Couldn't agree more and think if we do lose and Kean is still in charge then not even an hitman will get rid of him. :(

Guest Rovers4Good

Couldn't agree more and think if we do lose and Kean is still in charge then not even an hitman will get rid of him.

I feel like Rovers have an edge over Bolton, with the exception of the defeat at the Reebok last season I think Rovers have got a pretty good record, especially at Ewood in the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I'll hold back on predicting a result until after the WBA game. I suspect it'll be 4 points from these next 2 games though and Kean will milk it for quite a while.

I hate this fixture!! I always develop IBS at the thought of it. My childhood was a series of chases, me being chased by the Bolton fans. How many beatings did I take for the Rovers in the 70's!!! and that was when we lost!! There were 2 teachers who supported Rovers at that time at Turton High School, one other lad who didn't advertise the fact he did and me! It was a living nightmare until I reached the 5th form. Now, when I go out for a beer, the banter is good and well humoured, but I'm still reffered to as 'the Blackburn b&s!a$d, and I've always lived in Bolton.

Another player who played for both was that waste of space Nathan 'the pudding' Blake. What a waste of money. Saw Big Sam going into Ewood at one match when he was Wanderers manager, I shouted to him 'are you thinking of buying Blakey back?', to which he replied, 'If I was, I wouldn't pay what you lot paid for him!'. He made a fair point, and he had a chuckle with Phil Brown at my nod of agreement with his statement.

I always expect to get beat in this fixture, and there's no difference with this game.

Kean or Coyle.... both as bad as each other except Coyle may be a little less anoying, but Wanderers fans may disagree with me. COYB PLEASE GOD LET US WIN THIS GAME!!!! LET ME HAVE THE BRAGGING RIGHTS FOR A FEW MONTHS!!!

Soeey folks dont know hat happenbed to the front of the preview, there should be a badge of Rovers and one of Bolton ! Any techies out there who can sort it out for me ?

http://soccerlens.com/files/2010/05/blackburn.jpg

http://soccerlens.com/files/2010/05/bolton.png

Those are the urls you need to image tag.

EDIT: Probably better if you upload them yourself to Tinypic or something 'cos I think the Bolton one is hotlink protected.

Archived