BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Holidays

I'm off on my holidays on Thursday. Firstly I'm headed to Amsterdam for a couple of nights to see some friends. I love Amsterdam, this will be my 5th visit there I think. Everyone knows what it is famous for, but I can honestly say that I have never experienced any of that. It's just a stunningly beautiful city, the people are nice and it's just a pleasant place to be in. I plan on taking a day trip to Rotterdam as well, which is a cool city. Then on Monday I'm flying to Copenhagen for a few days, which is a city I've never been too. My mum has been there a few times with work and says its a fantastic city and the two full days I'm there will be more than enough to see it. I'm then headed on to Stockholm for a couple of nights, which I'm really excited about. I've been wanting to go to Scandanavia for years, especially Stockholm. I've heard nothing but good things about the city, apart from the price of things.

In October I'm going to Germany for a week. My friend has invited me over for the end of Oktoberfest. I've been to Munich before and it's an incredible city. I was there in the depths of winter, so it will be nice to see it just before the cold sets in. Even though I'm not a bear drinker, I'm looking forward to seeing this famous festival. We plan on going to Austria and Salzburg for the day, to go hiking in the Alps, which will be amazing! After a few days in Munich, I'm taking a train to Berlin for a couple of nights, which is another city I've never been to. Again, I've only heard good reports about Berlin and I can't wait to see it for myself. If time allows it, I may take a day train trip to the Polish port city of Szczecin, which is supposed to be lovely.

For a couple of years, the only place I went on holiday was the U.S. But I slowly came to realise that during my holidays in the U.S, that people would ask me had a been to this place or that city in Europe and I hadn't. I saw how lucky I was to have all these places right on my door step and now I want to take advantage of it. Me and my family are talking about taking my dad away next year for his 60th birthday and are looking at place like Lisbon, Seville or Rome. Croatia is another place high on my list to go to.

Traveling can become infectious and the more you see and do, the more new places you want to go and experience.

To appreciate Amsterdam more Roy and if the weather is good then may I suggest you hire a bike to get around the City.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm off on my holidays on Thursday. Firstly I'm headed to Amsterdam for a couple of nights to see some friends. I love Amsterdam, this will be my 5th visit there I think. Everyone knows what it is famous for, but I can honestly say that I have never experienced any of that. It's just a stunningly beautiful city, the people are nice and it's just a pleasant place to be in. I plan on taking a day trip to Rotterdam as well, which is a cool city. Then on Monday I'm flying to Copenhagen for a few days, which is a city I've never been too. My mum has been there a few times with work and says its a fantastic city and the two full days I'm there will be more than enough to see it. I'm then headed on to Stockholm for a couple of nights, which I'm really excited about. I've been wanting to go to Scandanavia for years, especially Stockholm. I've heard nothing but good things about the city, apart from the price of things.

In October I'm going to Germany for a week. My friend has invited me over for the end of Oktoberfest. I've been to Munich before and it's an incredible city. I was there in the depths of winter, so it will be nice to see it just before the cold sets in. Even though I'm not a bear drinker, I'm looking forward to seeing this famous festival. We plan on going to Austria and Salzburg for the day, to go hiking in the Alps, which will be amazing! After a few days in Munich, I'm taking a train to Berlin for a couple of nights, which is another city I've never been to. Again, I've only heard good reports about Berlin and I can't wait to see it for myself. If time allows it, I may take a day train trip to the Polish port city of Szczecin, which is supposed to be lovely.

For a couple of years, the only place I went on holiday was the U.S. But I slowly came to realise that during my holidays in the U.S, that people would ask me had a been to this place or that city in Europe and I hadn't. I saw how lucky I was to have all these places right on my door step and now I want to take advantage of it. Me and my family are talking about taking my dad away next year for his 60th birthday and are looking at place like Lisbon, Seville or Rome. Croatia is another place high on my list to go to.

Traveling can become infectious and the more you see and do, the more new places you want to go and experience.

You'll love Berlin. It's still a building site with all the mess of 60 years of separation to sort out but we loved it. If you've never done Madrid, I'd recommend that too - was even better than Berlin and all doable on foot. My elder daughter lives in Munich so we've done quite a lot of the area and really like it

• Moderation Lead

Just come back from a week in ibiza. I know what everyone is thinking, partying etc.

Like Amsterdam with the options there, they're there if you want them. Visited ibiza town, went out for some nice meals, saw the sunset, and went to a water park. More than meets the eye.

I'm off to Oktoberfest from 2-4th too, is that when you're there? Am looking forward to it but am going with some friends from America and I'm not sure they'll expect just how busy it is. We have no tent reservations but they've categorically stated they do not want to queue with others to get in. So errm I'm out of suggestions for them!!!!

btw, don't drink bears, they wont appreciate it :P

You'll love Berlin. It's still a building site with all the mess of 60 years of separation to sort out but we loved it. If you've never done Madrid, I'd recommend that too - was even better than Berlin and all doable on foot. My elder daughter lives in Munich so we've done quite a lot of the area and really like it

When we went to Madrid, I was really surprised by the lack of English spoken in many areas-so bear this in mind if you're thinking of going.

We had 3 nights in Copenhagen and 2 in Stockholm at the end of July.

Both were really good. I'd suggest you buy a good guide and choose where you want to go-we did a fair amount of walking as that is what we enjoy. In Stockholm we bought a combined hop on and hop off bus ticket that also covered harbour tours. It was a good way of getting a perspective of the City in a short time.

The harbour is stunning, especially if the weather is good.

In Copenhagen, Christiana is an alternative place to visit! We used Tripadvisor and found some good places to eat.

When we went to Madrid, I was really surprised by the lack of English spoken in many areas-so bear this in mind if you're thinking of going.

We just started learning spanish on the hoof whilst there. Managed to get ourselves fed and on a trip to Toledo without too much trouble. Now Korea on the other hand would have been a nightmare without our lovely daughter-in-law Sumi or our son Dan because there we couldn't even read the signs because of the different script, and outside Seoul very few Koreans speak English, or rather they do, but don't use it because they aren't confident or used to hearing it. Younger generations are learning, but the older ones, those born before the war, or just after, were too busy surviving and rebuilding to worry about learning languages from outside.

Went to Bruges in June which is an absolutely stunning place and going to Amsterdam in November for the first time. Gonna hire me a bicycle and get riding I think.

Going to Orlando next September as there's a food and drink festival on at Disneyworld. The missus actually decided she would rather do that than have our wedding next year!

• Backroom

Went to Bruges in June which is an absolutely stunning place and going to Amsterdam in November for the first time. Gonna hire me a bicycle and get riding I think.

Going to Orlando next September as there's a food and drink festival on at Disneyworld. The missus actually decided she would rather do that than have our wedding next year!

Where are you staying in Orlando?

The food and wine festival in Epcot is great

They set up stalls all around world showcase selling beers and wines and snacks from all different countries

We normally stay on International Drive, it's just ideal for us as the hotel we stay at does free shuttle buses to all the parks.

That sounds quality Tom, right up my street that. It certainly looks superb anyway.

Her indoors found out about it on a forum she goes on called the dibb. I know you're well into Disney so chances are you've heard of it?

I take it you stay at Disney on site?

• Backroom

I'm on the Dibb yeah - no surprise

We do prefer to stay on site at Disney, it can be happy happy smiley overkill for some people but I like all the theming etc, it will be the little ones first trip to Florida we went to paris with him last year and he loved that.

If you haven't booked yet Thomas Cook are doing good prices for flights from Manchester and they are flying into Orlando international from next year as well

• Backroom

I really enjoyed Orlando when I went in '05, it's a great place to visit as long as you have some cash.

Going to LA in October for a couple of weeks and Mexico in April for two weeks for my sister's wedding. My bank balance will sadly be totally wiped out, but at least Mexico is all inclusive :unsure:

I'm on the Dibb yeah - no surprise

We do prefer to stay on site at Disney, it can be happy happy smiley overkill for some people but I like all the theming etc, it will be the little ones first trip to Florida we went to paris with him last year and he loved that.

If you haven't booked yet Thomas Cook are doing good prices for flights from Manchester and they are flying into Orlando international from next year as well

Ha I thought you might be!

Must admit we do fancy to stay onsite at some point, the main thing which puts us off, besides from the price, is the hassle to get in and out to go to the other parks and malls etc.

Cheers for the info, I'll have a look.

We just started learning spanish on the hoof whilst there. Managed to get ourselves fed and on a trip to Toledo without too much trouble. Now Korea on the other hand would have been a nightmare without our lovely daughter-in-law Sumi or our son Dan because there we couldn't even read the signs because of the different script, and outside Seoul very few Koreans speak English, or rather they do, but don't use it because they aren't confident or used to hearing it. Younger generations are learning, but the older ones, those born before the war, or just after, were too busy surviving and rebuilding to worry about learning languages from outside.

I re-read my earlier post.

It was meant as a warning to anybody who doesn't speak Spanish and expects a lot of English to be spoken in Madrid, based perhaps on their experiences of visits to coastal resorts.

Although I speak French and Spanish, I was really surprised by how little English was spoken.

I re-read my earlier post.

It was meant as a warning to anybody who doesn't speak Spanish and expects a lot of English to be spoken in Madrid, based perhaps on their experiences of visits to coastal resorts.

Although I speak French and Spanish, I was really surprised by how little English was spoken.

Oh yeah. I knew what you were saying but with not more than a word or 2 of Spanish, we managed to learn enough while we were there to get by. Depends what you expect really- I'm never surprised when people in other countries don't speak English. There's no reason they should and its polite to try to pick up a few words of the local language even if its just hello and thank you which was the limit of my Korean!

Oh yeah. I knew what you were saying but with not more than a word or 2 of Spanish, we managed to learn enough while we were there to get by. Depends what you expect really- I'm never surprised when people in other countries don't speak English. There's no reason they should and its polite to try to pick up a few words of the local language even if its just hello and thank you which was the limit of my Korean!

My surprise at the limited amount of English spoken was predominantly based on the experiences we had when we took the lads on holiday in Spain and the Islands. Staff in many places tended to try and insist on speaking English, even when I wanted to speak Spanish!

Until recently I have tried to avoid countries where French, Spanish or English are not spoken. Last week had a few hours in Italy when we ventured over the border from Nice, which worked fine. Love Lisboa, just not very keen on the Portuguese accent.

• 2 weeks later...

To appreciate Amsterdam more Roy and if the weather is good then may I suggest you hire a bike to get around the City.

I've been to Amsterdam a number of times, so know it very well by now. There are few nicer places when the sun is shining, which it was while I was there. I could move to Amsterdam tomorrow. Having a bike is a great way to get around. You can tell the locals from the tourists straight away. The tourists walk everywhere, while the locals bike!

I've heard nothing but good things about Berlin. I'm really excited about it. I'm getting the train up from Munich which will be a good way to see the country on a 6 hour journey. I'm looking forward to seeing Munich again in different weather conditions. It was lovely in the winter (but bitterly cold), so I imagine it will be even better in the autumn.

We had 3 nights in Copenhagen and 2 in Stockholm at the end of July.

Both were really good. I'd suggest you buy a good guide and choose where you want to go-we did a fair amount of walking as that is what we enjoy. In Stockholm we bought a combined hop on and hop off bus ticket that also covered harbour tours. It was a good way of getting a perspective of the City in a short time.

The harbour is stunning, especially if the weather is good.

In Copenhagen, Christiana is an alternative place to visit! We used Tripadvisor and found some good places to eat.

I loved both places, especially Stockholm. The prices of the cities is a of shock to the system. Copenhagen was bad and Stockholm was even worse, but that's the only bad thing I would say about both places. Copenhagen was quite compact and I found that the two full days that I spent there was more than enough. I went to Christiana and it was quite the experience, seeing people selling huge squares of hash in the street! Nyhavn was very pretty, as was the area around the palace and the parliament. I went to Tivoli Gardens which was a lovely place. I had great weather which just made the city so much better.

Stockholm is a fabulous city and is now one of favourites. The price of things is a shock to the system and is something that should be kept in mind before going there. Gamla Stan, Södermalm, Djurgården and Norrmalm are all great places to visit. The Vasa museum on Djurgården, which houses a fully preserved 17th century warship which sank on it's maiden voyage in Stockholm harbour over 330 years ago, is one of the most impressive things I've seen. The old streets on Gamla Stan, where I stayed is fascinating place to explore. I'm looking forward to going back already and next time with more spending money!

Visited America this summer. Went to San Francisco, LA and Vegas.

San Francisco is a lovely place, but for a youngster like myself, the nightlife was somewhat a huge disappointment. A very European feel about the place. However, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Union Square, Japanese Tea Gardens and my favourite, Muir Woods Park, made it a fantastic experience. We hired a mini cooper for a reasonable price to fly over the notorious San Francisco hills, which was fantastic.

LA was the stand out place for me. Flamboyant, classy, and a real buzz around the place. Not a lot to do but just a great place to relax when visiting the famous Santa Monica and Venice Beaches. Had an American muscle car, the Ford Mustang GT convertible which was a joy to drive as well as the luxury of a Lamborghini Aventador for 2 days. The difference in driving the 2 cars was surreal. Free VIP entry and parking wherever you go in the Lamborghini!

We visited the Universal Studios and for $300 we got the VIP experience which I definitely recommend. Behind the scenes tour of the best American TV shows/films as well as a buffet lunch and your very own tour guide.

Stayed in the Bellagio in Vegas. Well, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. I'll leave it at that!

A great lads holiday and would do it again in a heartbeat!

I've been to Amsterdam a number of times, so know it very well by now. There are few nicer places when the sun is shining, which it was while I was there. I could move to Amsterdam tomorrow. Having a bike is a great way to get around. You can tell the locals from the tourists straight away. The tourists walk everywhere, while the locals bike!

I've heard nothing but good things about Berlin. I'm really excited about it. I'm getting the train up from Munich which will be a good way to see the country on a 6 hour journey. I'm looking forward to seeing Munich again in different weather conditions. It was lovely in the winter (but bitterly cold), so I imagine it will be even better in the autumn.

I hated Amsterdam, but it's true that our opinions are coloured by other things than the place itself. When i went, there was a French dock workers were on strike which meant that we were delayed and very late arriving. then it was freezing cold, sleety snow, and I was walking around with my mobile permanently in my hand as my mum was close to death but had insisted we went on the holiday we'd booked. she died the day after we came back and so amsterdam has always been associated for me with death and dying. Munich is ok - I'm not a real fan although my daughter lives there so it's a great visit for us. Berlin, despite being an enormous building site, I loved, because it was the first holiday I went on with my younger daughter and we just had a great time.

Archived