BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Standard of refereeing

Tom

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole game is on its ass, and I for one hope I live to see the day it implodes and has to start again. Refs ruining games, the same teams winning every year, the likes of bobby Zamora getting paid 90k a week for mediocrity, players diving all over the place, it's all just crap.

If we weren't such a thick nation we wouldn't stand for it but we are and all keep feeding this false pretence that it is the pinnacle of the sport. It isn't.

Bring back Andy Todd my favourite rovers player of the last 20 years.

Bring back Andy Todd my favourite rovers player of the last 20 years.

We could have done with him to sort Van Persie out yesterday.

I agree with Gordon's main point about the current system of carding being stupid.

Definite red for Givet, two feet together - easy decision.

What annoys me most is the yellow cards. Rovers get them very easily yet it has seemed for a lot of this season that the opposition get away with persistent fouling, shirt pulling, tripping players up, dangerous challenges etc. Really gets on my tits.

most refs are trying to make a name for themselves, they feel the need to have some impact on games, theyre kind of attention seekers. That being said they are damned if they, damned if they dont sometimes, remember the world cup final between holland and spain, howard webb was vilified for not sending de jong off when he could easily have done, would have spoilt the biggest sporting even in the world if he had and yet people complain when reffs do send players off for less, so in a way, i feel sorry for them as they have to follow the rules of the game and governing bodies, they are made into robots with no emotions because they are terrified that if they dont follow instructions they will either be demoted or hammered in the press and by the managers. For me, the best ref i have seen was collina, always made good desicions and never tried to steal the limelight!!!

*Also, it shouldn't be simply whether the player gets injured or not as to whether a red card is shown. Just because RVP wasn't injured in the Givet challenge doesn't mean a red card shouldn't have been shown. Likewise with Rosicky. It didn't look a bad challenge but Lowe was badly injured.

The Rosicky challenge was terrible.

I think Red cards should be only given as a last resort in cases of dangerous and violent conduct.

Where as other incidents should not be red carded at the time but reviewed after the game then the player in question should be banned for the next 1 - 2 games.

Then it wouldnt hinder the game.

The Rosicky challenge was terrible.

That was the one moment when Marriner didnt maintain consistancy other than that he did have a good game. Even whilst we waited for Lowe to receive treatment he could have quite easily cautioned Rosicky just cant believe he didnt.

If I was the coach regarding the Givet incident i'd be questioning the player who made the poor pass that led Givet into the situation that forced him into making a desperate lunge to try and retrieve such a poor pass.

• Moderation Lead

If I was the coach regarding the Givet incident i'd be questioning the player who made the poor pass that led Givet into the situation that forced him into making a desperate lunge to try and retrieve such a poor pass.

I was saying the same this morning after watching MOTD, Olsson did have an absolute shocker yesterday.

I was saying the same this morning after watching MOTD, Olsson did have an absolute shocker yesterday.

One day we'll all realise Ollsen will never make a full back as long as he's got a hole in his rectum. I realised this after seeing him get turned inside out, upside down and back to front inside 30 minutes by Aaron Lennon. The referee mercifully showed him the red card to spare him ( and us ) further embarrasment. Along with most other Premier league players the guy has got an attitude problem, that's why he'll never buckle down enough to learn how to play left back properly. Attacking left sided player = Good. Defensive left sided player = Bad.

• 5 years later...
  • Backroom
On 14/01/2012 at 23:02, Tom said:

I thought I'd start this topic to get people's views on this. To me the officiating these days is shocking but are referees getting worse or is it the rules of the game changing and giving them little option?

For me Yakubu's possibly was a red today (by the book at least although v harsh IMO) yet there are so many things he missed and so many inconsitencies, Formica hauled down on the counter attack produced no yellow card but Pedersen got one for a meaty but honest tackle.

The key for me as Ferguson just said on MOTD is clarity and consistency, today the referee let many handballs go yet I believe he was the same one that penalised Nzonzi V Norwich for far less and last week Kompany was sent off whilst a few days later Glenn Johnson gets away with the same tackle.

Some insight is needed as similar incidents are treat differently game on game.

So who is to blame, the referee's or the system or both?

Well Tom - 5 years later we've sunk to new depths and so has the standard of reffing.

Today was just abysmal, he genuinely didn't have a clue and after not giving us anything for ages would then give fouls for no reason, convinced he wasn't even watching the game at times.

The referee at the U23s was abysmal/dire. The wage-stealer today plumbed such depths that he deserves his own adjective.

He was one of those with a lethal mix of incompetence and arrogance. As soon as the crowd spotted his incompetence and let him know, his arrogance kicked in and he gave decisions just to spite us.

15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He was dire today. It got to the stage by the end of the game that him and the lineman were just looking at each other in the hope the other would make a decision.

The championship and premiership officials are full time now where as the lower leagues 1&2  are roll up with asistants you might never have worked with before whilst they have to continue in their nine to five day jobs. 

This is what you get for years of failure on the football pitch.

Only losers blame the ref... don't be a loser has to be the focus !

Just now, JAL said:

The championship and premiership officials are full time now where as the lower leagues 1&2  are roll up with asistants you might never have worked with before whilst they have to continue in their nine to five day jobs. 

Only losers blame the ref... don't be a loser !

I'm not blaming him for the result. Don't be an idiot!

Just now, JAL said:

Only losers blame the ref... don't be a loser has to be the focus !

Show me a post that blamed the ref for our defeat? He was just shockingly bad.

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Have a look at the post I quoted from Shrimper in the Southend game thread. I think we may have been 'Kettled' today.

I warned my brother's about this referees reputation before kick off today. I was on the FL Referees list with him for several seasons and he was known for the high number of cards he issued and the number of clubs he had upset.

He didn't let me down with his reputation but he isn't the reason we lost. 

Archived