BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Standard of refereeing

Tom

Just now, arbitro said:

I warned my brother's about this referees reputation before kick off today. I was on the FL Referees list with him for several seasons and he was known for the high number of cards he issued and the number of clubs he had upset.

He didn't let me down with his reputation but he isn't the reason we lost. 

He certainly isn't the reason we lost, but he was as dreadful a referee as we've had for a while. Like Stuart said, it was the arrogance after he'd been rumbled as incompetent that was hard to watch.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I warned my brother's about this referees reputation before kick off today. I was on the FL Referees list with him for several seasons and he was known for the high number of cards he issued and the number of clubs he had upset.

No he isn't but...

Why do refs like that keep getting gigs? Are referee shortages that bad?

I've just googled his name- the amount bad press he's got is unreal. I'd argue that's the worst referee I've ever seen at Ewood today. The decisions today were unreal- even Mowbray was gunning for him towards the end, something which I've not seen him do previously against any referee. 

• Backroom

For me it wasn't just the decisions it was just his whole performance was inept.

At one point their guy went down blatantly faking an injury, the ref rather than standing over to make sure they sped it up was stood on the touch line having a drink. 

He let them get away with every trick in the book, one time their centre half ran off with the ball after conceding a throw, the ref finally looked like he was going to see sense and book him went to his pocket, the guy walked away and then the ref changed his mind and just had a word.

A free kick late on he actually paced out 9 yards rather than 10! The free kick was never a free kick either but it was that time he decided to book one of theirs!

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

He must be old Tony ? But what training capacity or something of importance does he hold... for what county to command such a spot at this level ?

7 hours ago, JAL said:

He must be old Tony ? But what training capacity or something of importance does he hold... for what county to command such a spot at this level ?

I'm not sure what you are asking me John. He was (maybe still is) a high ranking RAF officer and the word used to be that one of his children's Godfather was also in the RAF but got the job as Referees Manager for the National Group and 'looked after' him. He has survived at this level for so long by just doing enough over the course of a season, a bit like the Jason Lowe of refereeing where he gives a decent performance every now and then. The merit list is compiled from the assessors mark and club marks with more emphasis on the assessors mark. The quality of assessing is poor from what I am told and quite often their marks are not commensurate with the referees performance. Only the referees at the bottom of the merit list over a couple of seasons will be removed.

I think Kettle is in his 50's now but as there can be no age discrimination he can carry on as long as he wants.

Why do people spend so much time complaining about referees? He wasn't why we lost. We're in the 3rd division, we need to get used to a few mistakes from players and officials and stop complaining about it. It was the same last time we were down here so why would it be different now?

Because refereeing standards should have improved just as the standard of football has. It's the same everywhere though. I went to watch Lorient v Ajaccio on Friday night in Ligue 2 and the ref there was lucky the players maintained discipline themselves as he completely lost the plot

16 minutes ago, McClarky said:

Why do people spend so much time complaining about referees? He wasn't why we lost. We're in the 3rd division, we need to get used to a few mistakes from players and officials and stop complaining about it. It was the same last time we were down here so why would it be different now?

Did you see him? Again, show me a post where he is the reason we lost.

He just really was that bad.

Just now, McClarky said:

Yes I watched most of it. Looked as high a standard as the players on the pitch. 3rd rate. Fortunately my stream went down 10 minutes from the end.

Fortunately? Does your computer not have an off button? Or is this how you have to watch Rovers games these days...

IMG_7020.JPG

22 minutes ago, rigger said:

Rather than concentrate on the ref's poor performance, we should be looking at our own!

If you don't want to discuss it then don't post in the referees thread. Put your thoughts about Rovers poor performance in the match thread where it will be roundly agreed with.

:tu: 

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Rather than concentrate on the ref's poor performance, we should be looking at our own!

Actually the standard of refereeing affects the players performance, especially if he's inconsistent. Harsh or lax doesn't really matter.  Get one who let's you get away with things; you know that unless you are totally reckless you'll be OK.  Get one who's harsh; you know where you stand. Just don't do anything where you have less than 70 30 chance of getting the ball and don't open your mouth to protest anything. It's when the ref appears not to have a clue, gives a yellow for something that appears minor then let's the opposition get away with chopping you in 2, that causes the problems. Poor refs like that mean that players and fans alike get frustrated and the confidence of everyone suffers. When confidence suffers performance suffers. Now I'm not saying a poor ref was the reason we lost yesterday. It would appear, and obviously I didn't see it myself, that we were just rubbish, clueless, inept or whatever. But it's worth discussing the ref because it does have an effect.

Refs are just a lottery really, had a woeful 1 yesterday may get a good Un next time. I think if you play reasonably well & do the basics properly you can always offset a bad referee & still get a good result. He wasn't the worst I've ever seen undoubtedly some of his decisions were bizarre I can recall 1 incident 2nd half 2 were on the floor trying to get the ball he booked 1 & not the other he got pelters for that & as well other decisions.

14 hours ago, Boaty said:

If you think you could do better why don't you?

If a surgeon messed my operation up, I would criticise him. It doesn't mean I would want to operate on myself though. When you pay £15 to £20 to go to a professional game, you are within you rights, to expect a certain standard of official aren't you?

14 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Trevor Kettle appears to have made many strange decisions...and this one in my eyes is just to obvious ...should never have blown his whistle  

On it's own this will probably be deemed that the referee is correct. However, it's about consistency and transparency. There is now so much at stake in modern football that having one referee allow the goal, restart the game and blow his whistle being just as correct as this video, it's no wonder fans no longer have any trust in officials. The clock needs to visibly stop - like in ice hockey. Surely the fourth official could control the injury time - in full view of both managers.

1 hour ago, lraC said:

If a surgeon messed my operation up, I would criticise him. It doesn't mean I would want to operate on myself though. When you pay £15 to £20 to go to a professional game, you are within you rights, to expect a certain standard of official aren't you?

Fair enough, if you feel that bothered about it write to the Fa. I'm sure they will investigate your complaint with rigour.

Archived