BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2002 League Cup final win

Rover_Shaun

10 years on

Any youtube clips knocking around? Or can anyone upload one?

cheers

I've often searched but to no avail. The hell's wrong with people!?

I e-mailed the club once to see if they had a DVD season review for that year but nope... just the shoddy Cup Final DVD.

I was in a sports bar in Uppsala Sweden yesterday watching the league cup final with my daughter. We were reminiscing about our moment of glory in Cardiff 10 years ago. Eventually we got round to the penalty shout spurs had in the last few minutes when Sherringham went down. We could not get the name of our defender right who got away with the challenge (I blame the Staropramen) when low and behold up pops Nils-Eric Johansson on 20 odd TV screens and gets interviewed about the very incident. Spooky

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know who it was Souey was beckoning for the trophy celebration? I'm guessing it was maybe Neill, who missed the game? Or maybe one of the backroom staff?

He was beckoning hughsey, who seemed to want to take a back seat in the celebrations.

Hughes and friedal won us the cup that day.

Edited by Ewooduknow
  • Like 1

I found the post match scenes really illuminating.

Souness was obviously a tough task master, no cosy relationships with the players there, yet he ensured that the lads were given the plaudits they deserved, i.e. insisting that Hughes went up with himself and Tony Parkes.

I can imagine working for Souey was intense and perhaps why things began to quickly unravel in the last 12 months.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Souness was magnificent in every respect regarding that game. On paper we had no right to even get close to Tottenham and Hoddle for them was a very competent manager too at the time.

But before the game Souey kept banging on about how he was a winner, no doubt trying to instill belief into the team. Letting Tony Parkes leads us out was brilliant. His tactics during it were perfect, 4-4-2 meant taking risks but also taking the initiative and the performances he got out of Hughes and Dunn against a 3-man midfield of Anderton, Sherwood and Poyet were nothing short of magnificent. And then after the final whistle he joined in with everything, chucking champagne about with Dunny, getting everyone involved in the celebrations, dragging Hughesy up, I've no doubt he was behind Flitcroft jointly lifting the trophy as well. On the big stage I think Souness somehow transformed from a good manager to an outstanding one.

I agree with you Matty, he was no doubt a tough taskmaster and I think that tends to polarise people. Some guys fall out with him, some would follow him to hell and back. After his poor last season with us much was made of his fall-outs with Dunn, Cole, probably 1 or 2 others. But what about the performances he got out of Friedel, Neill, Berg, Hughes, Tuay, Thompson, Duff and Jansen during his time here. I get the feeling those guys would have spoken extremely highly of him.

Edited by Steve Kean's Hypnotoad
  • Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.