BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

Couldn't find the old music thread so here goes a new one.

Who are you listening to, what albums are you looking forward to, who've you been to see recently or are going to see soon?

Went to watch The Duke Spirit at the Ruby Lounge, manchester last week. Great band - they deserve to be far bigger - cracking gig and a fab little venue.

Got New Order at the Apollo, Blood Red Shoes at Academy 2, and the big one - Stone Roses - at Heaton Park lined up. :tu:

Edited by MarkBRFC71

Funnily enough I thought about starting a similar thread myself but with reviews of the Artists and venues thrown in as well as i`m sure there are some people who wonder what a particular venue is like for views,sound and beer etc.So here goes with my first review:

Went to watch the Australian Pink Floyd show last Friday in Liverpool who were absolutely fantastic.

The venue

The only bad thing was the fact it was at the Echo arena.The stage and views were great but the running of the venue itself leaves a lot to be desired.First of all we were searched on the way in which I was not happy about.The cost of refreshments is extortionate,although we kind of guessed it would be anyway.£3.80 for a bottle of Carling and £2 for a bottle of diet Coke was ridiculous (and yes a-la Ewood style they took the tops off the diet Coke! :angry: ).

The sound and views from our seats though were excellent.

Verdict:I wish somebody would come up with similar sized venues that are better run to put these clowns out of business

The Band

As near to the Floyd as we will see these days,all in all there were 11 musicians/singers on stage who were all absolutely brilliant.We had a full laser and lights show that were incredible along with a 30 foot inflatable Kangaroo on stage as well as a 20-25 foot (ish) inflatable flying pig at the side of the stage! All the hits came thick and fast with classics such as "The Wall","comfortably Numb","Time","Us and Them" and many more.

Verdict:If you like Pink Floyd You wouldn`t be disappointed with watching these

Merchandise

Ridiculously overpriced at £20 for a T-shirt bearing in mind the fact they are a tribute band (albeit a very good one!) I can buy an original Floyd shirt for £15-16 delivered!

All in all though a cracking night out but next time I might be tempted to catch them at a different venue. 8/10

Next up for me are The Stranglers on the 24th March at the Manchester Academy and Stiff Little Fingers at the HMV Ritz Manchester on the 31st March.

Went to see Snake Davies at the Band on the wall, Manchester last month, venue and band both excellent. Its a long time since I had been to the Band on the wall and has been done up nicely and expanded.

Should have been at the Lowery M'ter three weeks ago to see the Spaghetti Western Orchestra but due a family bereavement missed out. Bu**ers would not take returns. Hope to catch them in May.

April 20th Jethro Tull at king georges, must be close to double figures the number of times i have seen the Tull, Ian Anderson did a solo gig at the mechanics back end of last year, very good.

Sierra Maestra at Band on the Wall last night were terrific. Possibly the best son band in the world and the place where Juan de Marcos learned his trade.

Band on the Wall is one of my favourite venues. Just the right size, easy to get to, sensibly priced drinks and you can park virtually outside the front door for nothing. If you go early and take their meal deal (2 courses for £10) you get offered free tickets for an upcoming gig. Last night we got freebies for Balkan Beat Box in May, a band I was planning to pay and see anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Took my youngest lad to watch the stranglers at Manchester Academy last night, great support bands, Mike Marlin and band and also the Popes. Managed to get there early, and get right to the front centre, about 6ft away from the bands. My son and I came out at the end feeling like we'd been in a tumble dryer for 3 hours, my knees, ribs and vocal chords are in tatters this morning.

It was great to see loads of dads my age with their kids. I'm gonna do this more often, £23 each for so much enjoyment!

Edited by 12milesfromewood

Took my youngest lad to watch the stranglers at Manchester Academy last night, great support bands, Mike Marlin and band and also the Popes. Managed to get there early, and get right to the front centre, about 6ft away from the bands. My son and I came out at the end feeling like we'd been in a tumble dryer for 3 hours, my knees, ribs and vocal chords are in tatters this morning.

It was great to see loads of dads my age with their kids. I'm gonna do this more often, £23 each for so much enjoyment!

Cracking gig and a great atmosphere as well,I was at the front and slightly to the left (Basically slap bang in the middle of the pit! :D ).

Just a shame Jet Black couldn`t be there,hope he gets better soon.

Cracking gig and a great atmosphere as well,I was at the front and slightly to the left (Basically slap bang in the middle of the pit! :D ).

Just a shame Jet Black couldn`t be there,hope he gets better soon.

We were very slightly right of centre, (in front of Baz). It is a pity Jet wasn't well enough to play, a chest infection and he is 73 now and JJB is 60!! Crikey, how time flies. Will certainly be going next time if the band are still doing gigs.

Anyone got any Stone Roses tickets spare?

Please....

www.gigsandtours.com has them available at face value for all three Heaton Park gigs. Seems quite legit as it links from both the official site and Facebook page.

Got two for the Sunday last night.

Also only one booking fee applied for both tickets so one up on Ticketmaster.

Saw Joan Baez at Bridgewater Hall a few weeks back. I thought she was excellent but I know another MBer felt differently.

Really pleased to get tickets to see Bellowhead at the Lowry in November. Wanted a standing gig, not really a sit down band, but all the other gigs were too far away. Check them on YouTube.

......... and then the small matter of Mr Springsteen in Manchester this June. Can't wait for that one. We're thinking about flying to Barcelona for the gig there, not sure about that yet.

if you want to try something new Cineworld in Bolton now shows live streams of opera from around the world. Good night but take a picnic ..... usually long and the food is the usual very expensive junk!

Edited by Paul

www.gigsandtours.com has them available at face value for all three Heaton Park gigs. Seems quite legit as it links from both the official site and Facebook page.

Got two for the Sunday last night.

Also only one booking fee applied for both tickets so one up on Ticketmaster.

Saw Joan Baez at Bridgewater Hall a few weeks back. I thought she was excellent but I know another MBer felt differently.

Really pleased to get tickets to see Bellowhead at the Lowry in November. Wanted a standing gig, not really a sit down band, but all the other gigs were too far away. Check them on YouTube.

......... and then the small matter of Mr Springsteen in Manchester this June. Can't wait for that one. We're thinking about flying to Barcelona for the gig there, not sure about that yet.

if you want to try something new Cineworld in Bolton now shows live streams of opera from around the world. Good night but take a picnic ..... usually long and the food is the usual very expensive junk!

I must admit I never understood the appeal with Bruce,he sounds like a cross between Sylvester Stallone and somebody who`s been on a 5 hour bender drinking nothing but whisky.. :blink:

My mate says he`s brilliant live though.

Edited by bacup blue

I must admit I never understood the appeal with Bruce,he sounds like a cross between Sylvester Stallone and somebody who`s been on a 5 hour bender drinking nothing but whisky..

My mate says he`s brilliant live though.

I always enjoyed Springsteen albums but I wasn't a great fan till I first saw him live about 15 years ago. For me the E Street band is simply the greatest live rock and roll band I've seen in more than forty years. Plus I'm a huge Nils Lofgren fan.

I think I saw every major band plus a lot of smaller ones that came out of the sixties, early seventies and I can't think of any that were better. Seen some fantastic bands but for sheer good time rock and roll he is The Boss.

The one I always regret missing was Cream.

Edited by Paul

Really enjoying the snipets I've heard of Jack White's 1st solo album (Blunderbuss).

White's music often seems 'other worldly' to me, or like it belongs in another era.

His cover of U2's 'Love is Blindness' is blistering!

Loving 'Love Interuption', (since JANUARY). It is simplistic but glourious.

His performance of it on Saturday Night Live reminded me of Bob Dylan's Desire period. :tu:

www.vevo.com/jack-white/love-interruption...snl/USQX91200367"]

He played, 'Love Interruption' (With a Female Band) - and 'Sixteen Saltines' (With a Male Band).

His female band included Carla Azar, of Autolux, on drums! :wub:

Edited by A cup of beans

• 3 weeks later...

Going to see Bruce Springsteen in June and the Kendall calling festival in July.

As for music at the moment, nothing much of interest really is there?

Edited by GAV

Just got tickets to see Orbital - seen them before and they're great live - at 53 Degrees in Preston. Cracking venue, shame they seem to struggle to attract bands. Guess its because Manchester gets first pick.

Totally agree with that.I saw The Stranglers there last year,there were about 10 of us went and everyone of us said what a great place it was.Pub priced beer,plenty of bar staff and because the floor is tiered,it`s also a superb view as well.

There is also a good pub across the road that had a disco playing loads of punk stuff,obviously playing for the punters that were going to the gig.They also had reasonably priced beer and food as well.

All in all it`s the best venue i`ve been to in the north west and would be our first choice every time despite us having further to travel.

Off to Manchester today. Going to see a band called " Dave Alvin and the Guilty Ones" at the Night and Day cafe on Oldham Street. He used to be in a band called "The Blasters". Check out " Harlan County Line" and "Johnny Ace is Dead" on youtube. He's got some great backing musicians, the woman drummer can really play. Should take my mind off today's game.

• Like 1

Well what a great gig. Superb band on top form and a brilliant little venue. Add that to a Rovers win and I've got a thick head this morning. The only drawback was I went with a pal who had to catch the Leeds train home. Manchester, International class city, and on Saturday night the last train to Leeds is 22.54 ! During the week it's something like 23.20. Why is the last train later midweek that on Saturday night ? It meant we missed the last couple of numbers but it was still a great gig. I've seen plenty of the top guitarists over the years but this guy is as good as any of them.