BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

When 53 Degrees in Preston opened several years ago I was hoping that it would become a major gig venue - but have been disappointed. Seems to have become more of a covers band type place these days.

Might go to the Slam Dunk Punk Festival in Leeds on the May Bank Holiday weekend.

When 53 Degrees in Preston opened several years ago I was hoping that it would become a major gig venue - but have been disappointed. Seems to have become more of a covers band type place these days.

Might go to the Slam Dunk Punk Festival in Leeds on the May Bank Holiday weekend.

I wish they wouldn't call themselves punk,they are anything but ! :(

Anybody going to North west calling in Manchester next Saturday? Absolutely corking line up to celebrate the Punk-Father himself Charlie Harper's 70th birthday.It's going to be one messy do!

I wish they wouldn't call themselves punk,they are anything but ! :(

Anybody going to North west calling in Manchester next Saturday? Absolutely corking line up to celebrate the Punk-Father himself Charlie Harper's 70th birthday.It's going to be one messy do!

C'mon Bacup Blue, one of the bands on at Slam Dunk have an A in the O of their name to make an Anarchy sign!

Got tickets to see PRINCE on Friday night at Manchester Arena. Trouble is last train leaves Victoria at 23.23, which may be too soon to see the full gig etc(He has a track record of playing long sets)

Anyone else going who could offer two people a lift back to Chorley after the gig at all? Happy to share fuel costs.

PM if so.

I'm off to see Embrace tomorrow night at Manchester Academy.. Can't wait .. It's been 8 years since they last toured .. Their new album is brilliant.. Heard lots of good things about the tour.. And it's my birthday weekend as well.. Happy days

We're currently in the states and was talking to a massive Beatles fan from Lubbock Texas (where Buddy Holly was born) and he was telling us that Paul McCartneys playing in Lubbock in the next few weeks and tickets are priced at $680 each, that's about £425! And it sold out in 23 minutes all 12k seats.

Now I can appreciate the Beatles and what they did for music, but over £400 to watch a man that can't sing anymore......supply on demand I guess but I stopped short of telling this guy he was being robbed.

Talk about ripping your fans off and cashing in, I've even less respect for him than I had before.

Edited by GAV
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I knew gigs were getting more expensive, but that must be the worst I've heard!! Shocking! I remember my mate paying £150 to watch the Rolling Stones at the Albert Hall a few years ago and told him he was mad, but £425 for a gig, that beggars belief!!!

I'm not a fan but " Purple Rain " was good. He did a couple more that I thought were good but I can't remember so early in the day, " 1999 "was one, can't think of the other.

Little Red Corvette?

If he ends with Purple Rain and lets rip with his guitar solo's, it can last 20 minutes, brilliant.

I've no gigs lined up until December

If anyone's got the chance to see Prince I would strongly recommend it. An unbelievable show, two and a half hours of perfect pop and rock. The guys a star, plus his band are very easy on the eye also. We got in early and stood right at the front.

Little Red Corvette?

If he ends with Purple Rain and lets rip with his guitar solo's, it can last 20 minutes, brilliant.

I've no gigs lined up until December

Yeah " Little Red Corvette " . That's the one, great record. I always look through your recently played list matey You've got good taste. A couple I'm playing at the moment - Evie Sands - " Picture Me Gone " and The Lafayettes " Life's Too Short ".

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

• 9 months later...

Anybody else on here see The Smiths in Blackburn for 50p? Upstairs in the Elizabethan Suite above DJ's (previously Fernando's Wine bar. above what became C'est La Vie) at the movable feast that was the weekly Gum Club night...great gig, up there with the Jam, Clash, Motorhead, Killing Joke and Pogues - all fantastic KGH gigs.

Colne Francs use to have some decent bands on too, Southern Death Cult, King Kurt etc.

Good grief even the best sounds of today are drab and uniform compared to those days

Anybody else on here see The Smiths in Blackburn for 50p? Upstairs in the Elizabethan Suite above DJ's (previously Fernando's Wine bar. above what became C'est La Vie) at the movable feast that was the weekly Gum Club night...great gig, up there with the Jam, Clash, Motorhead, Killing Joke and Pogues - all fantastic KGH gigs.

Colne Francs use to have some decent bands on too, Southern Death Cult, King Kurt etc.

Good grief even the best sounds of today are drab and uniform compared to those days

Don't remember the gig at the Elizabethan suite but do remember the one at St Mary's college the night they released their first single standard english (always thought DC rip one of the tracks on B-side was better ). Think Inside Out was their defining glory though.

Did you ever see IQ Zero knocking about Blackburn same time as the Stiffs, quirky punk new wave sort of a mix of Devo and Xtc as I recall

Ah Francs , remember well a mad mad night there when the Meteors played

EDIT: oops ignore the above for some reason at the time read it as The Stiffs , not the Smiths. Did see that Smiths gig and also Manic St Preachers at the same place, also Three Johns, Ghost Dance and a couple of others who at present can't recall

Edited by perthblue02

Just that bit to young sadly, great bands when KGH/Blackburn was on the circuit, didn;t Bowie play here also?

To their credit KGH is doing a great job in attracting artists/bands back to the town, Paul Weller being the latest and long may it continue.