BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC71 said:

Good to hear, am going to see them in Dallas at the beginning of May.  Been wanting to see them live for years but have never managed to align everything - weird that it took moving from Lancashire to Texas to do it!

Texas is a minority majority state now, it's really going to change in the future "probably", not a sure thing. Enjoy it. It'll get real liberal and be democratic in spots at least, like California.  Snicker.

Edited by Audax

• Moderation Lead
7 hours ago, Audax said:

Texas is a minority majority state now, it's really going to change in the future "probably", not a sure thing. Enjoy it. It'll get real liberal and be democratic in spots at least, like California.  Snicker.

I always find it interesting that in America the word 'liberal' has been re-defined (V for Vendetta anyone?) and used as a negative. It's also interesting to see 'democratic' used as a negative in the above post. Very strange.

Especially considering the following is in their own pledge of allegiance- 'with liberty and justice for all.' Think about what that means and compare that to a criticism of things getting more liberal and democratic.....

Anyhow, this is the music thread!

Edited by K-Hod

• 3 weeks later...

Having now related, I'm looking for a spare for the Stones Roses in Leeds if anyone has one going at near face value.

I think the only gig I have booked (other than t'hotpots, who don't count) is some very old school rap at my fave venue in Leeds.

Sugarhill_Gang_Leeds_Web_copy.jpg

• Moderation Lead

Sugarhill Gang are booked for Beat Herder Festival this year. I saw them last year at Kendal Calling also.

Speaking of Beat Herder, they've also managed to book Toots and the Maytals (who I saw in Manchester last year) and Lee 'Scratch' Perry amongst others. Fairly strong line up this year, a lot of medium sized bands and up and coming acts on the bill. http://beatherder.co.uk/

On 4/6/2017 at 7:58 PM, Glenn said:

Having now related, I'm looking for a spare for the Stones Roses in Leeds if anyone has one going at near face value.

I think the only gig I have booked (other than t'hotpots, who don't count) is some very old school rap at my fave venue in Leeds.

Sugarhill_Gang_Leeds_Web_copy.jpg

Glenn

Try seatwave for tickets.

Edited by MCMC1875

10 hours ago, Glenn said:

I tend to avoid the secondary market sites until I get desperate as it just feeds those who only buy to flip them for a profit. 

I'v just added Grandmaster Flash to the list of retro-rap gigs I'm doing.

Different from the Sugar Hill gig?

1 hour ago, MCMC1875 said:

Different from the Sugar Hill gig?

Yeah, Grandmaster Flash continued to have quite a career on his own, where as, SHG / Furious 5 / Melle Mel didn't. So they tour separately

I bet you both gigs feel that White Lines is theirs to play though :) 

48 minutes ago, Glenn said:

Yeah, Grandmaster Flash continued to have quite a career on his own, where as, SHG / Furious 5 / Melle Mel didn't. So they tour separately

I bet you both gigs feel that White Lines is theirs to play though :) 

Where's the Grandmaster Flash gig?

For me, Brudenell in Leeds (Leeds' best live music venue, it's an old sports / working mans club that's been repurposed as a music venue, without losing the spit and saw dust, pint of mild and a pickled egg, type charm). 

I believe it's part of a uk tour though

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/05/inspiral-carpets-drummer-craig-gill-inquest-tinnitus

Really sad that he suffered so much. Used to love the Inspirals. 'Joe' and 'Move' were big faves at the indie discoB)

Commercial Rain was another belter. Saw them above Cest la Vies in town a long time ago - slide show as well! Also at Manchester international 2. What a venue that was! The walls were leaking. I also saw Motorhead there around 91. Happy days.

RIP Mr Gill.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

Commercial Rain was another belter. Saw them above Cest la Vies in town a long time ago - slide show as well! Also at Manchester international 2. What a venue that was! The walls were leaking. I also saw Motorhead there around 91. Happy days.

RIP Mr Gill.

Coconut Grove, Toffs, a 'smoke' in the Cathedral grounds, then bouncing into C'est La Vie feeling like king of the world! Hazy, crazy, daze :DThey always seemed to be playing Sympathy for the Devil.

Think I saw the New Fads at International 2 round the same time,1990-ish.

• Like 2

I've just got back from watching Beans on Toast at the new Beehive in Bradford (a cracking old pub). I thought his set was pretty good, but a fair percentage of the crowd seem to not be that into him. 

Saw The XX on Monday night here in Dallas - first time seeing them after never quite being able to catch them before.  They were tremendous, as was the support act, Sampha, who'd I'd heard of but never heard much from.

Also saw Kings Of Leon last Thursday, who were good too although I'm not a fan of much of their stuff after their 3rd or 4th albums (the first two are crackers though).  I think because the US didn't really get them until their later stuff, their set focussed mainly round those songs - not a single track from album one!

Next up - U2 and The Joshua Tree at the AT&T Stadium (home of the Dallas Cowboys) which should be a spectacle and a half .... then it's Muse at the F1 circuit in Austin, and Depeche Mode back in Dallas in September, and Future Islands (hopefully) around the same time!

Saw AFI and Deftones at Manchester Apollo Saturday and it was tremendous. If you're into that sort of thing.

Chino, despite a broken foot, got about the stage without wincing too much. Very loud and very sweaty. Superb stuff.

Also off to see U2 in Dublin at the end of July, my brother is named after the album / forthcoming tour...

True story.

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, Blue Cabbage said:

Saw AFI and Deftones at Manchester Apollo Saturday and it was tremendous. If you're into that sort of thing.

Chino, despite a broken foot, got about the stage without wincing too much. Very loud and very sweaty. Superb stuff.

Also off to see U2 in Dublin at the end of July, my brother is named after the album / forthcoming tour...

True story.

Went to see Deftones when I was about 18/19, I'd bought some new trainers that day and had them with me, this was before the days of camera phones and I got Chino Moreno to sign the shoe box as it was the only thing I had with me.....Years later, my Dad put the shoe box in the recycling!

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 23:13, bob fleming said:

RIP Mr Gill.

Inspiral Carpets - C'est La Vie, I was there. Also saw A Guy Called Gerald there round about the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

Darwen Live today, always a good day out and the start of festival season for me.

Grandmaster Flash on at Level One Live tonight! Also some decent bands like Jeremiah Ferrari, local boys New York Tourists and '90s band Republica! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a busy half term.  Went to Slane to watch Guns N' Roses.  Absolutely outstanding.  Play with the same energy they did back in the 80s.  Followed that up with Aerosmith in Berlin (Due to Kiss getting cancelled).  Again, really good show.  Steve Tyler is 69 now and still gives everything.  Felt proud to have grown up with these bands.  Hope any of you at Download enjoy Aerosmith tonight!

The last couple of weeks I've been to see U2 do the Joshua Tree in it's entirety for the 30th anniversary at the AT&T stadium in Dallas - great gig, but the venue (as amazing as Jerry World is) was just too big.  The sound got lost and went a little echo-y at times.  On Saturday was in Austin at the F1 circuit to see Muse for the 4th time - and they never disappoint.  Bit of a stripped down show (by their standards!) but they were still superb - one of the few bands that actually sound better live than on record.

• Like 2