BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

Saw the half-original line up G'n'R last night at the London Stadium.

Axls vocals held up a lot better than they sound on YouTube, Slash was awesome as ever and the setlist lends itself perfectly to large stadium gigs.

Good night.

• Like 1

Would mean a lot if anyone could give this a listen, band that I'm in with my mate. Only 15 years old so lyrics, vocals etc ain't gonna be the best.

Many thanks in advance if anyone checks it out'

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

@LewisF Good effort that mate, I was tapping my foot by the end and my foot rarely taps! I detected a slight hint of the Libertines in the midst of it all.

Not sure how far down memory lane your going to get at 15 though, could be a short walk:)

Many thanks indeed! And Libertines are a big influence to us (got tickets to see them in Blackpool too :) )

• Moderation Lead

Beat Herder and Kendal Calling coming up next month for me. Very much looking forward to Beat Herder again, after a year off last year and Kendal Calling for the second time now.

Some solid names at both festivals really: http://beatherder.co.uk/line-up- looking forward to Dub Pistols, Toots and The Maytals, David Rodigan, Lee Scratch Perry, Shadow Child, Solardo, Skream, Richy Ahmed, OC & Verde, Sugarhill Gang, High Contrast there.

http://www.kendalcalling.co.uk/lineup- Stereophonics, Manics, Circa Waves, The Coral, Loyle Carner and Shadow Child again there....

Edited by K-Hod

Another wonderful week at Glastonbury. The undoubted highlight was The National, but First Aid Kit, Father John Misty, London Grammar and Hacienda Classical all excellent as well. I lasted for two songs from Barry Gibb before decamping to see Justin Townes Earle instead.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderation Lead

In July, I've been to Beat Herder and Kendal Calling festivals and had a great time at both, even if Kendal Calling was a bit too muddy. I reckon I'll turn my phone off until the end of August now...

I've got a few minor complaints about Kendal Calling as a festival in that the headliners are too big and there aren't that many medium sized bands. Also, The Glow Tent (Dance area) is always too full later on and I went to the bar from there when watching one act, returned to it and couldn't get back in! Though, I did meet Thomas Turgoose (Shaun from This is England) at the latter, which was quite funny. Nice guy. (There is photographic evidence of this, I'm just not au fait with uploading photos on here).

Next month, I've got Mr. Jukes (ex-singer of Bombay Bicycle Club's solo project), then the newly Mercury Prize nominated Loyle Carner and Little Dragon in October.

Edited by K-Hod

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, LewisF said:

It's that time again - this is my band's new song 'Way Back'

As ever, it would mean the world to hear some feedback - hope all who have a listen enjoy it :) 

The first part has got an early Buzzcocks feel to it, which is never a bad thing , really liked the first 2.40 or so minutes, a bit of constructive criticism hope you don't mind

Intro too long,  drums etc should kick in at around 14 seconds , and song would be more powerful/ effective if it ended at 2.40, Personally think everything after that does not add anything to the song, sometimes short and sweet is the way to go. If you really like the stuff after 2.40 maybe move a shortened version into the middle somewhere

Look forward to hearing more

Edit: (just bookmarked your youtube channel for further listening)

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

The first part has got an early Buzzcocks feel to it, which is never a bad thing , really liked the first 2.40 or so minutes, a bit of constructive criticism hope you don't mind

Intro too long,  drums etc should kick in at around 14 seconds , and song would be more powerful/ effective if it ended at 2.40, Personally think everything after that does not add anything to the song, sometimes short and sweet is the way to go. If you really like the stuff after 2.40 maybe move a shortened version into the middle somewhere

Look forward to hearing more

Edit: (just bookmarked your youtube channel for further listening)

Thanks a lot for the response! Looking back, maybe a shorter intro should have been used with, as you say, the drums kicking in earlier (and without the 2nd time repetition of the riff).

On the other suggestion, tthe part from 2:41 - 3:03 we just felt added some extra heaviness to the song. Although to be fair, the ascending/descending octave part from 3:03 - 3:25 is pretty lacking in ingenuity (but we all just loved playing that bit).

Many thanks, will keep you updated :)

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Depeche Mode supported by Warpaint in Dallas last Friday - never seen either before.  Liked DM in the 80's, and dipped in and out of their stuff from Violator onwards but have never seen them live.  Have to say they were excellent, Dave Gahan is a way better frontman than I ever thought he would be.  Warpaint were also very good.

Off to Cal Jam a week on Saturday - basically Foo Fighters have set up their own one-day festival in San Bernadino, California.  Pretty decent line-up with the Foos, QOTSA, Liam Gallagher, Royal Blood, The Kills and a few others.

Also just booked tickets for Noel Gallagher's HFBs in Houston next March - they're playing the House Of Blues so it's a small venue (no more than 1000 capacity) - no way I'd ever get to see him in anything smaller than the MEN in the UK so it should be a good one!

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

I went to watch Mr Jukes (ex singer of Bombay Bicycle Club's solo soul project) last Sunday, got to say it was excellent and can highly recommend his stuff.

Still toying with the idea of going to watch Loyle Carner in a couple of weeks again. Saw him at Kendal Calling and he really was excellent. It's only £20 and in Manchester.....

Its official, the worlds a worse place without REM, but what they've left us with is a treasure trove of fantastic music.

The reason for this completely off the cuff statement is I've just dug out loads of my old music in various formats and REM's 'Reckoning' - 'Lifes rich pageant' - 'Murmur' haven't been off since i repatriated them. 

Plenty more stuff to go at, including a copy of Richard Harris MacArthur Park signed by members of Dollar! Must be worth a fortune!

Exciting stuff eh :tu::D

• 4 weeks later...