BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sorry , I'm just a country boy, I get confused easily.

Just teasing Tyrone. I saw Arthur Lee play a set with Shack (a Liverpool band that emerged from the Pale Fountains) about 15 or 20 years ago. He and they were brilliant.

52 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Just teasing Tyrone. I saw Arthur Lee play a set with Shack (a Liverpool band that emerged from the Pale Fountains) about 15 or 20 years ago. He and they were brilliant.

I know you're just having a laugh. I saw Albert Lee do " Country Boy " years ago, also in Liverpool, he was brilliant. " Plays a guitar like ringing a bell " came to mind, it was effortless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It would be remiss of me not to tip my hat to Paul Weller, who by reaching number 1 in the album charts with On Sunset, has become only the third artist to have number 1 LPs containing original material in five separate decades (and the other two are Lennon and McCartney which is spurious as one of them was a remixed effort of previously released stuff). The first four Jam albums were out in the late 70s, and All Mod Cons and Setting Sons in particular could easily have topped the charts, so that almost makes it 6 decades. Incredible longevity, whether you like his stuff or not.

The Gift - The Jam - 1982

Our Favourite Shop - The Style Council - 1985

Stanley Road - Paul Weller - 1995

Illumination - Paul Weller - 2002

22 Dreams - Paul Weller - 2008

Sonik Kicks - Paul Weller - 2012

On Sunset - Paul Weller - 2020

Edited by oldjamfan1

Sorry OJF but I've never managed to get into his solo stuff, its hard to forgive him for splitting up The Jam....

He also needs to cut his hair, he looks slightly sinister with that new barnet.

But no doubt about it, a music icon, one of the greats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Sorry OJF but I've never managed to get into his solo stuff, its hard to forgive him for splitting up The Jam....

He also needs to cut his hair, he looks slightly sinister with that new barnet.

But no doubt about it, a music icon, one of the greats.

As I tell anyone who will listen, his solo stuff is a mixed bag, that’s part of the attraction of him for me these days. However if you liked The Jam there are plenty of solo songs that wouldn’t have been out of place on a Jam album, with the possible exception of his last album True Meanings, which was a bit different.  If mix tapes were still a thing I could do a belter of Jam-type songs from his solo career. 
I’m in no position to comment about anyone’s hair to be honest but I think he’s modelling his latest style on Bowie (who his wife is a fan of apparently). 
Check these solo songs out Gav:

Peacock Suit

Brushed

There’s No Drinking After You’re Dead

A Bullet For Everyone

Come On, Let’s Go

From the Floorboards Up

Savages

Push It Along

Fast Car, Slow Traffic (featuring a certain Bruce Foxton)

Wake Up the Nation

That Dangerous Age

White Sky

All Jam-like ?✊?✊?

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure about anyone else, but one positive from lock down and home working is our music platforms have been a constant companion, listened to all sort of stuff that I wouldn't normally have time for with some surprising outcomes.

I read an interview recently where Noel Gallagher, who has always slated The Beach Boys, was telling the interviewer he got the Beach Boys all wrong and is now waxing lyrical about the band and the music because of lock down.

I have had a similar epiphany, with Mark Knopfler of all people, I hated Dire Straights, mainly because of 'Money for nothing' which was played endlessly, so never had a desire to revisit his music. what a mistake.

All The Road running, a collaboration with Emmylou Harris is superb, Sailing to Philadelphia with James Tayor another quality album, Down the Road Wherever his latest offering. I Watched an interview with Mark on Sky Arts with Brian Johnson of ACDC fame, such a humble man, clearly hates the attention, never lost his root or his values.

Strange things can happen during lock down, people beware! 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I’m always hammering new music and checking stuff out. I’ve tried many new things with regards to that, but then again I always do.

Still can’t abide Coldplay though. To each their own of course!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I’m always hammering new music and checking stuff out. I’ve tried many new things with regards to that, but then again I always do.

Its a weird one Coldplay, hated them when they first appeared on the scene, Mrs loved them, now she can't stand them and I quite like some of the older stuff. 

Got fond memories of driving around Wales just after the banking crisis listening to Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Decided to got to Wales to save money, spent over £2k, it rained every day, should have gone to Greece.

I must admit that every time I hear Yellow or The Scientist it stops me in my tracks, great tracks in my opinion and everyone I know thats seen them live says they're exceptional.

53 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Nice to see Michael Kiwanuka win the Mercury Music Prize at last. 

Lovely down-to-earth young man whose first three albums are all marvellous.

Talented chap ojf.

Got an album for you both, from 90's - Proud Mary - Same old Blues - Great listen if you haven't heard it already, they should have gone on to bigger and better things.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Been on Declan McKenna’s and Everything Everything’s new albums today. Very good indeed. If unfamiliar, Declan McKenna is more typical indie stuff, Everything Everything are indie dance, sort of like Foals and Hot Chip to an extent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Or Ellie Goulding, George Ezra, Scissor Sisters, The 1975, Bastille ?

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Gav said:

@oldjamfan1

New Style Council documentary on Sky Arts - 31st October :tu:

Yeah thanks Gav. I know a couple of the guys involved in making that - Weller gave his full cooperation this time. I always thought history would be kind to the Style Council as they were ridicules towards the end of their career, so hopefully this will be the start of that.

As an aside I went to see a TSC tribute band in Glasgow last year (The Style Counsellors) - if you closed your eyes you could be back in 1984/5 - very good indeed.

• Like 1

Just given the new Springsteen album a spin - Letter To You.

Some old tracks that never made his early albums, one in particular (Song for Orphans) is very Bob Dylan (My back pages) and some Tom Petty "Influence" on a few tracks, great stuff. 

I just hope he gets to tour again, for anyone who hasn't been to a Springsteen gig, you'll probably never go to a better one, I've been to hundreds of gigs and nothing comes close to Bruce and The E Street band.

• Moderation Lead
23 minutes ago, Gav said:

Just given the new Springsteen album a spin - Letter To You.

Some old tracks that never made his early albums, one in particular (Song for Orphans) is very Bob Dylan (My back pages) and some Tom Petty "Influence" on a few tracks, great stuff. 

I just hope he gets to tour again, for anyone who hasn't been to a Springsteen gig, you'll probably never go to a better one, I've been to hundreds of gigs and nothing comes close to Bruce and The E Street band.

Mate went to see him three times on his last tour, three different venues. Said it was three completely different sets each time, proper long sets too! What a showman!