BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

To close what has been a phenomenal exhibition on The Jam at the Cunard Building in Liverpool all summer, a charity concert has been arranged for 5th October at the Liverpool Echo Arena.

Nicky Weller (frontman Paul’s sister and co-curator of the exhibition) is organising the gig – “A Celebration of The Jam” – which will feature original band members, bassist Bruce Foxton and drummer Rick Buckler, who will perform alongside The Paul Weller Band and a host of very special guests.

So my question is this:

They have hired an 8k capacity arena which has just about sold out in less than 24 hours with ticket prices starting at circa £50.

How p1ssed off is everyone going to be if Paul Weller doesn't show up?

They should have done the full re-union and played the Etihad in the Summer whilst the stage was there - AC/DC and The Stone Roses both managed it.

Edited by MCMC1875

They should have done the full re-union and played the Etihad in the Summer whilst the stage was there - AC/DC and The Stone Roses both managed it.

Weller would look like the biggest hypocrite ever if they did a full gig - at best I could see them maybe doing a couple of songs, and even then I would imagine there'll be other musicians on stage as well (Noel Gallagher and Steve Craddock being the likeliest).

They have marketed this charity gig very cleverly to make it look like he is performing, but with the ability to say "we didn't say he was", should he decide not to. I think the only reason people even think he might be involved is because his sister has organised it.

So. I might be back in Lancs for my winter holiday soon.

The Rebellion festival in August (4-7th) in Blackpool seems like a good crack (loads of proper old school classic punk bands on the line-up).

Has anyone been? I bet it's a riot - chav town during tourist season + punks.

Sorry it's a bit late Husky,not been on for a while. Rebellion held their 40th anniversary gig this year hence why it was sold out. Hope that you got to go as it really was brilliant with some great bands. £135 for 4 days and over 350 bands is fantastic value for money and worth every penny. I go every year and it never fails to be anything other than amazing. If you are just visiting Lancs let me know when you are next up and i'll give you the heads up on what gigs are coming up and what bands are worth watching. This Saturday i'm in Uttoxeter, £10 for 7 bands all tickets sold out. No surprise really as it is a top quality line up, no doubt i'll end up on the stage followed by youtube again in a somewhat drunken state! :D

• Moderation Lead

A few from work are going to the 'Brighton Beach' night at The Grand on the Friday. I can't make the weekend, sadly, two 'birthday do's' on the Saturday night.

Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show ticket bought at The Grand in November though! Will finally get to try the fabled Holmes Mill (Bowland Brewery) out that night!

A few from work are going to the 'Brighton Beach' night at The Grand on the Friday. I can't make the weekend, sadly, two 'birthday do's' on the Saturday night.

Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show ticket bought at The Grand in November though! Will finally get to try the fabled Holmes Mill (Bowland Brewery) out that night!

Although the bar is open and the food is good, the beer prices are sky high and I understand the brewery has not been moved to Holmes Mill yet.

• Moderation Lead

Although the bar is open and the food is good, the beer prices are sky high and I understand the brewery has not been moved to Holmes Mill yet.

Ah, right. A few people I know have been banging on about it, so I'll try it, if only for one!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see Richard Hawley in Sheffield last weekend, he was supported by John Grant an American chap with a real story behind his music.

Very rarely have I been captivated, mesmerised and just stunned into silence by an artist at a gig, Bob Dylan a few years ago in Bpool was one such moment but aside from that never.

Have a listen to John Grant, a chap that I've since learned has had so much turmoil in his life and was most recently diagnosed with HIV, but regardless he keeps on smiling through it all, and singing like I've hardly ever heard before.

His lyrics are explicit at times and the topics he sings about are not for everyone but stunning vocals.

By the way Richard Hawley was excellent as always.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

I went to see Richard Hawley in Sheffield last weekend, he was supported by John Grant an American chap with a real story behind his music.

Very rarely have I been captivated, mesmerised and just stunned into silence by an artist at a gig, Bob Dylan a few years ago in Bpool was one such moment but aside from that never.

Have a listen to John Grant, a chap that I've since learned has had so much turmoil in his life and was most recently diagnosed with HIV, but regardless he keeps on smiling through it all, and singing like I've hardly ever heard before.

His lyrics are explicit at times and the topics he sings about are not for everyone but stunning vocals.

By the way Richard Hawley was excellent as always.

Spot on Gav - Would pay good money to see either of those two perform. Richard Hawley should be a superstar.

• 2 weeks later...

Biffy Clyro in December and just got Radiohead tickets for the 2nd night in Manchester in July! It got to about 9:40 and was about to give up but persistence is key

Can't wait :D

Edited by LewisF

Peter Hook And The Light this Friday, and Morrissey next Wednesday - both in Dallas. Been a while since I got to a gig, let alone two Manchester legends in the space of a week!

Morrissey has a massive Latino following in US, apparently the gang members put all 'beefs' aside for Mozza.

Let us know how it goes Mark.

Morrissey has a massive Latino following in US, apparently the gang members put all 'beefs' aside for Mozza.

Let us know how it goes Mark.

So Peter Hook was very good, better than I thought he'd be actually. Did a full set of New Order, had a 10 minute break then came back for a full set of Joy Division. Pretty much both Substance albums. And to top it off he was staying in the same hotel as us - we bumped into him when checking out and had a chat with him. He's what you'd expect - a friendly, slightly dour Manc!

As for Mozza - it's been cancelled due to illness, and it's not him this time! His keyboard player collapsed just before a gig in Boulder on Monday and has been told to rest for a week so that's wiped out his 3 Texas shows sadly. Gutted!

• Like 1

Went to see Billy Connolly last Thursday still funny but obviously unwell and then Cat Stevens on Monday who was very good. On Saturday I'm going to see a recreation of the Band's Last Waltz concert performed by a few tribute acts at the Echo Arena and in a couple of weeks Dr Hook at the Guild Hall. With the rate at which musicians are dying this year its getting to the stage if you don't see some acts now you might not get another chance. I also got tickets for next may when John Cale is performing the Velvet Underground's first album at the Clarence Dock in Liverpool .

Edited by Hanks

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone at leeds academy next week? airbourne.

what a brilliant venue!!!!

Best gig ive seen in many years !!

what a night ,first band on the franklys (sp) a middle aged all girl band that rocked big time (got a hug and they made me grab there bum as well haha (not kidding) and had a drink with them .)

Crobot , listened to them before but what an amazing live band and then airbourne, what can you say ,hearing lost for three days and ears still ringing but man they abousolutly brought the acadamys roof down in Leeds.All in all a proper old fashioned all dayer and old school rock venue ...

black star rides for me at Leeds sounds like a plan

15179103_742670992551937_662220608706574