BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

I've been a "real ale" drinker for many years. Grew up on Thwaites Best Mild and have assiduously avoided fizzy keg.

I'll try anything from a handpump no matter where I am or what the beer is.

What on earth is the point of having a pint of (say) Carlng lager when you are in Carlisle and then having another one when you are in Bristol. That's a bit like buying Asda "smart price" cheddar.

Go and get out there and try the lot. Lovely beer.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I regularly frequent the Black Bull up Heys lane. 3 Bees Brewery doing their own beers. Always busy. Always a good pint. Always a good choice....plus the blond barmaid has a cracking rack & arse combo! :tu:;) £2.30-£2.40 a pint too!

....Feildens at end of livesey is also a regular haunt. Always a good choice, but does tend to be a bit pricey (about £3 a pint!!)

ALL HAIL REAL ALE!! :tu:

The stigma is Real Ale is still associated in younger drinkers as the bearded, pipe smoking drinkers drink. The industry is trying to appeal to younger age group, the traditional lager drinker, 20 - 30 age group.

The gout thing is weird, could it be a wheat or yeast issue?

Things like tomatoes are very bad for gout, fresh or other wise. Who does not like a full English? We are all different. I am surprised to hear about links between gout and real ale.

Probable got a point about the stigma. Strange because a lot of young drinkers like to drink strong lagers. Yet often real ale is stronger. Think in pubs carling is 4% where many ales are 4.2% or more. 5.2% in bottles.

I've been a "real ale" drinker for many years. Grew up on Thwaites Best Mild and have assiduously avoided fizzy keg.

I'll try anything from a handpump no matter where I am or what the beer is.

What on earth is the point of having a pint of (say) Carlng lager when you are in Carlisle and then having another one when you are in Bristol. That's a bit like buying Asda "smart price" cheddar.

Go and get out there and try the lot. Lovely beer.

Totally agree. Lager is just boring. They taste more or less the same. Yet throughout this country we have many brewries. I will always try the guest beer in my local. In sussex Harveys is the main brewry. Ok but I have had better.

Found a good one last week at Whalley Golf Club. It's called Flat Cap and was brewed in a micro brewery in Bury.

Had a pint of flat cap yesterday at The Sirloin in Houghton, very nice indeed, but I thought it was a Bolton ale not Bury? eiether way it was nice :tu:

Moorhouses Premier, the only decent thing to come from Burnley.

What the guy was saying about people in the younger age bracket preferring to drink lager over real ale is spot on with the odd exception, I'm 28 and I'll drink either depending on what mood I'm in. I have to say though real ale is more suited to the colder months and on hot summer days I'd tend to go for an ice cold lager.

Things like tomatoes are very bad for gout, fresh or other wise. Who does not like a full English? We are all different. I am surprised to hear about links between gout and real ale.

Probable got a point about the stigma. Strange because a lot of young drinkers like to drink strong lagers. Yet often real ale is stronger. Think in pubs carling is 4% where many ales are 4.2% or more. 5.2% in bottles.

With respect Carling isn't a strong lager by a long chalk Paf. It belongs in a sub group commonly referred to in these parts as 'maidens watter'. ^_^

For strong lagers think Carlsberg Export (and the excellent but deadly Elephant Beer abv 7.2), Stella Artois, Kronenberg etc.

For the Thwaites Mild drinkers such as PB and Philipl, as someone else commented the best thing to come out of Burnley is pretty good (Moorhouses). They do an excellent mild called Black Cat, quite often on in the Postal Order. Definitely worth tracking down.

Called in there after the game on Saturday, tried this one Naylor's Velvet which was very good too. From the look of the url, it might make it into quite a few Wetherspoons.

Off the theme of dark milds, a couple of ales local to where I live I'm rather partial to - Mary Jane from Ilkley Brewery and Golden Pippin from Copper Dragon (Skipton), both not particularly strong but very drinkable.

Ruddles bitter (not sure if it's County) can be found in the Railway at Pleasington. Personally I think it's bloody awful.

I can't really claim to be a fan of real ale since next doors whippet ate all my ferrets and pigeons but I do think Thwaites have done a couple of gud uns. Don't know if it's still available on draft but I found Double Century excellent (but maybe a bit strong for many) whilst Wainwrights is excellent too. I do think the pub landlord has a big hand in keeping ale and there are too many about who don't appear to have the knack, or maybe the inclination? Other notable bitter in the past which I have imbibed is what must be the best session ale ever, the excellent Bellhaven Best.

btw am I the only one to find it funny how so many real ale types tend to profess intense dislike for Wainwrights? Inverted beer snobbery I put it down to. Not only that but all the same blokes who wax lyrical about various foaming pints of sour brown liquid at every opportunity and who frequently scoff at me for my liking of various continental 'amber nectars' don't appear to have any objections whatsoever to lager as served in various overseas all inclusive holiday venues around the continent. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your efforts Gordon but Ruddles Bitter is just not a patch on Ruddles County. I am not a beer snob I just like what I like and that includes Wainwrights, however you can stick your Eurofizz in this country. Lager is best drunk in hot countries like Spain where it seems right not here though where ale suits the climate. You stick to your "Amber Crapter" and leave the real ales to us.

:o You'll drown before that has any effect!

Depends on your reason for drinking. I drink ale for enjoyment. Getting drunk is an unfortunate side effect.

Moorhouses Premier, the only decent thing to come from Burnley.

What the guy was saying about people in the younger age bracket preferring to drink lager over real ale is spot on with the odd exception, I'm 28 and I'll drink either depending on what mood I'm in. I have to say though real ale is more suited to the colder months and on hot summer days I'd tend to go for an ice cold lager.

Went on a tour of their brewery recently and have to agree, the beers were very tasty and deceptively strong!

I tend to go into The Dog Inn in Whalley on Friday nights and they always have a decent selection of beers available, from light to dark and weak to strong.

With respect Carling isn't a strong lager by a long chalk Paf. It belongs in a sub group commonly referred to in these parts as 'maidens watter'. ^_^

For strong lagers think Carlsberg Export (and the excellent but deadly Elephant Beer abv 7.2), Stella Artois, Kronenberg etc.

I should have used the words about carling, ONLY 4%. I agree it is a weak drink.

I tried wainwrights a few weeks back. Not a bad to drink to be honest. I like real ale, light or dark. I wouldn't mock someone elses preference. With so many real ales about, therefore a wide choice. Everybody will find some they like and others they don't, with each person having different tastes. If an ale comes along I haven't tried I give it ago. It has become like a hobby for me is some respects.

Depends on your reason for drinking. I drink ale for enjoyment. Getting drunk is an unfortunate side effect.

I agree with that. Sometimes you can get ales that are only 3%, but taste very good, therefore enjoyable.

Thank you for your efforts Gordon but Ruddles Bitter is just not a patch on Ruddles County. I am not a beer snob I just like what I like and that includes Wainwrights, however you can stick your Eurofizz in this country. Lager is best drunk in hot countries like Spain where it seems right not here though where ale suits the climate. You stick to your "Amber Crapter" and leave the real ales to us.

You are right on the first bit. My research conducted just last neet told me that Ruddles County is a stronger ale than plain old Ruddles bitter.

You are way wrong in your last point. The hops to produce pilsner lager originated years ago in Czechoslovakia. The Germans swill lager for fun, in fact lager is a german word. The Germans also brought in their Purity Laws in medieval times whilst we were brewing beer simply because our water was unsafe to drink. The homes of market leaders Carslberg, Kronenberg, Becks, Grolsch, Staropramen, Budwar, Stella etc etc are all way way north of the Med.

In conclusion English beer has it's place... in dingy English pubs which smell of damp carpets and wet dogs, on the other hand Lager is a truly worldwide product. ;)

You must be a proper barrell of laughs Al. I can just picture you now sat in the snug bar in your local resplendent in hush puppies, beige cardy and making a pint of sour brown liquid last all night. :P

The only side effect that I ever find unfortunate from drinking is having to get up for a pee. ^_^

You can add Veltins to that list as well Gordon,absolutely lethal and only been drunk once! It`s not so much the strength (only 4.8%) it`s more the aftermath :wacko:

You are right on the first bit. My research conducted just last neet told me that Ruddles County is a stronger ale than plain old Ruddles bitter.

You are way wrong in your last point. The hops to produce pilsner lager originated years ago in Czechoslovakia. The Germans swill lager for fun, in fact lager is a german word. The Germans also brought in their Purity Laws in medieval times whilst we were brewing beer simply because our water was unsafe to drink. The homes of market leaders Carslberg, Kronenberg, Becks, Grolsch, Staropramen, Budwar, Stella etc etc are all way way north of the Med.

In conclusion English beer has it's place... in dingy English pubs which smell of damp carpets and wet dogs, on the other hand Lager is a truly worldwide product. ;)

Hi Gordon,

I'll agree with you up to a point. Lager means to "lay down" and let mature. The German brewing laws specify that only a few essential ingedians can be used it their beers, some of the brewers you mentioned are not German so I cannot comment on them. It maybe that those brewers export to the UK without needing to heed their own brewing laws. Also a lot of "foreign" lagers are brewed here in the UK where the laws are not in place so we can be sold cold & gassy lager masquarding as foreign beers. However I'd just like to take issue with your comment that the only place to enjoy real ale is

in dingy English pubs which smell of damp carpets and wet dogs
You know that that is not correct. There are many pubs that pride themselves on serving decent real ale in decent settings. Not quite sure why you insist on being so provacative, but that's you perogative

(tin hat on)

At the risk of a backlash, US microbreweries are producing ales the equal of anything in the UK and even the 'ale holy land' of Belgium (I find Belgian beers to be quite dark and malty, whereas I prefer lighter, hoppier beers. Maybe I've just been unlucky).

As for domestic pints, I find Leeds pale to be a very drinkable lager, and most of the York brewery pints are also a good drop, especially the Guzzler. On the other hand, it's impossible to find a pint of Thwaites over here :angry2:

You must be a proper barrell of laughs Al. I can just picture you now sat in the snug bar in your local resplendent in hush puppies, beige cardy and making a pint of sour brown liquid last all night. :P

The only side effect that I ever find unfortunate from drinking is having to get up for a pee. ^_^

I have read your postings for a long time Gordon. My first impressions were that you were a pillock. Then I read more and thought that perhaps you were a bit more intelligent. Now I realise that you are a ###### head and my first impressions were correct.

As for domestic pints, I find Leeds pale to be a very drinkable lager, and most of the York brewery pints are also a good drop, especially the Guzzler. On the other hand, it's impossible to find a pint of Thwaites over here :angry2:

Couple of points of order Dreski. Leeds Pale isn't a lager and whilst there's not that many, there are a few Thwaites pubs over here (wrong side of the hills). Nearest pub to me here in Otley is a Thwaites and apparently (according to this site) there are a few in York.

Couple of points of order Dreski. Leeds Pale isn't a lager and whilst there's not that many, there are a few Thwaites pubs over here (wrong side of the hills). Nearest pub to me here in Otley is a Thwaites and apparently (according to this site) there are a few in York.

haha, don't know what I was thinking of there about Leeds pale, lesson is to never be your own proofreader!

On the second point, never been to the White Horse and the Lighthorseman is too far out of town, though I was in the Stone Roses bar a few weeks ago and don't recall seeing Thwaites then...

I have read your postings for a long time Gordon. My first impressions were that you were a pillock. Then I read more and thought that perhaps you were a bit more intelligent. Now I realise that you are a ###### head and my first impressions were correct.

Don't be so rude .... anyway get yerself in the Alma for your usual couple of gills I think it's dominoes night. I'm sure you'll not want to miss that. :P

(tin hat on)

At the risk of a backlash, US microbreweries are producing ales the equal of anything in the UK and even the 'ale holy land' of Belgium (I find Belgian beers to be quite dark and malty, whereas I prefer lighter, hoppier beers. Maybe I've just been unlucky).

Leffe is one of those. Strong as hell but not a nice taste and neither is the blackcurrent version. Maybe they have to make it taste like bulldog p1ss for safety reasons?

Don't be so rude .... anyway get yerself in the Alma for your usual couple of gills I think it's dominoes night. I'm sure you'll not want to miss that. :P

Will you be there? I'll recognise you lying in a corner with the remains of a pint of Eurofizz balanced on your belly, a NY baseball cap on your ginger head, still with the size sticker on the neb and turned up jeans because they don't make them short enough for your little legs. :P

In terms of being rude I think you are the wrong one to complain about that.

Archived