BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Real Ale

What I'm disgusted at is a "Real Ale" thread turning into a discussion about Peroni!!!

Anyway, I tried the Chris Moyles / Dominc Byrne brewed "Radio X Amplified" (by Greene King) beer in Nottingham last weekend and it was surprisingly nice. So nice that we had to get a 2nd round in.  That might have been the weather or the location (Ye old trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham).

We then moved on to Ye Old Salutation Inn which had Trooper on tap.  First time I've not had it in a bottle from the Supermarket and I've got to say, I prefer from the bottle.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Biddy said:

What I'm disgusted at is a "Real Ale" thread turning into a discussion about Peroni!!!

Anyway, I tried the Chris Moyles / Dominc Byrne brewed "Radio X Amplified" (by Greene King) beer in Nottingham last weekend and it was surprisingly nice. So nice that we had to get a 2nd round in.  That might have been the weather or the location (Ye old trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham).

We then moved on to Ye Old Salutation Inn which had Trooper on tap.  First time I've not had it in a bottle from the Supermarket and I've got to say, I prefer from the bottle.

There's nothing wrong with a nice bottle of " Peroni " , especially in summer time.

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The price of drinking in pubs has done more damage. When you can get four pint cans of Stella in the supermarket for the price of a poured pint in some pubs people are going to vote with their feet.

Cheap supermarket booze is the problem, not the price in the pub. Cheap supermarket booze causes social problems and health problems. There is a solution of course which a bold govt would take ....... tax it,.

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/06/2017 at 19:15, jim mk2 said:

Cheap supermarket booze is the problem, not the price in the pub. Cheap supermarket booze causes social problems and health problems. There is a solution of course which a bold govt would take ....... tax it,.

Think they already do, taking into consideration what it actually costs to make a pint. Taxing the supermarket stuff more would punish lots of responsible drinkers like myself so can't agree on that. If they did tax it more I'd just brew my own I've done it before all you need essentially is a fermentation bin, syphon tube, funnel, pressure barrel, hydrometer, sugar, paddle, steriliser powder, kit which contains the yeast. Alot cheaper than supermarket but some hassle setting up, room needed, time to ferment.

On 30/06/2017 at 18:15, jim mk2 said:

Disagree entirely. As things stand 90% of my 'nights out' start at a house and supermarket bought beer because otherwise we're paying £5 a pint all night. You need £75 to have a 'normal' night out nowadays if you go straight out.

When it was £3 a pint we where all meeting in the pub because being in that environment is worth the additional money.

On 7/17/2017 at 09:59, J*B said:

Disagree entirely. As things stand 90% of my 'nights out' start at a house and supermarket bought beer because otherwise we're paying £5 a pint all night. You need £75 to have a 'normal' night out nowadays if you go straight out.

When it was £3 a pint we where all meeting in the pub because being in that environment is worth the additional money.

All depends where you choose to drink. I can buy a pint of Moretti, Kronenbourg or Guinness for £2.60 and cask beer or Fosters for £2.20.

33 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

All depends where you choose to drink. I can buy a pint of Moretti, Kronenbourg or Guinness for £2.60 and cask beer or Fosters for £2.20.

You've obviously never drank in Whalley before!

48 minutes ago, J*B said:

You've obviously never drank in Whalley before!

Whalley is expensive I'd jump on a bus to clitheroe. I think he must be referring to a witherspoons or suchlike. Think it's expensive everywhere even WMC compared to what I believe the prices should be. The pubs blame the breweries the breweries blame the government. It's all tax.

7 minutes ago, MCMC1875 said:

Ha J*B, I often drink in the Dog, De Lacy and Swan and never paid £5 for a pint. £2.70 for cask in the Dog?

Cask Ale? I'm not ready for retirement drinks yet!

Stella is £4.70 a pint in the De Lacy, San Miguel is £4.85, Guinness is £4.80. Its a fiver of anyones money!

3 hours ago, J*B said:

Stella is £4.70 a pint in the De Lacy, San Miguel is £4.85, Guinness is £4.80. Its a fiver of anyones money!

Extortionate prices I agree J*B, but its common knowledge that overpricing has been going on in most Ribble Valley watering holes for years.

Bettys Taxis charge £6 Whalley to Rishton, that's just over the cost of one of your pints and then you've got a pint of Moretti, Kronenbourg or Guinness for £2.60 and cask beer or Fosters for £2.20. Back to Whalley for £6 when you've loaded up.

40 years ago, when my grandparents moved to Billington, Whalley prices were no different to anywhere else. The main employer then was Calderstones Hospital and many of the locals who worked there were on low wages. The prices started getting expensive as the village became more prosperous due to wealthy newcomers over the last 20 years.

• Moderation Lead

I'd suggest it's no different to Grants in Accy, for example. It's quite expensive there, IMO, that's done to get a 'better clientele' and that's always busy.....

In any case, if the pubs in Whalley are always busy (and there seems to be no shortage of places to have a drink there right now, for such a small place), then it could even be argued that they're justified in their pricing, if people are paying it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived