BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] First Rovers Game

With all the crap happening at the club at the minute, I keep finding myself drifting back to better times. So after a few beers with my dad last night, we got to talking about the first game I went to. It was Brighton at home, last game of the season 1989/90. I'd be nine at the time, met my dad at the bottom of the road when he finished work at 12, got the bus from Rochdale to Blackburn (said bus route doesn't exist now) walked up Bolton Road to the majesty of Ewood. Got myself a Rovers pen from the club shop and waited outside the ground and got all the autographs I could. Then into the Blackburn End, and that was that! The game was ######, but I was hooked!

So Id like to hear some more tales of your first Rovers experiences....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackburn vs the crazy gang. I can't remember how old I was but my auntie and uncle took me and my bro, it was an evening kick off and pouring down with rain. Both teams where out warming up, the pitch was so water logged that big john fashanu was doing the klinnsman belly slide from the edge of the 18yr box to the centre circle! Needless to say it got called off so we walked back home like drowned rats.

My Mum took me to Ewood for what I think was the last game of the season in 1966, Rovers played Blackpool and I think Rovers got beat 1-3. I seem to remember Rovers having an Australian goalkeeper although I cant remember his name. It was to be Rovers last game in the old First Division, I think my Mum must have realised that a period of decline was going to occur and wanted to give me the memory of seeing them in the top Division. A sad parallel to the current situation. Its funny the games you cant remember a thing about but certain games stick in the mind forever. As an aside the team that played a while later I can still recite the back six namely, Jones, Goodwin, Wilson, Hunter, Mulveney, Knighton. Which seemed to go unchanged for what seemed a long time. I couldnt name much more recent line ups.

1976 - I went twice over a bank holiday weekend - I think it was Easter but I'm not sure.

It was the old 3rd Division.

Both matches were at home and both wins for Rovers.

Rovers 1-0 Carlise Utd

Rovers 4-1 York City

Can't remember which match was first now - it's a bit hazy!

Being a kid and living far away I had to follow Blackburn from afar, but managed to land one of the all time classic Rovers games in the Norwich Blackburn game at ewood back in '92 as my first live match.

I don't think anything could have turned out better for me on that fine day at Ewood, I was living in Norwich though born Blackburn, in with the Norwich fans which made things humerous (not many fans will applaud the opposition even after loosing), we won 7-1, was taken by suprise as did not know my family had bought tickets and was conned into believing it was a sell out.. Norwich happened to be top of the league and us second (A thing no one will see again from any so called small sides like ours).. seeing the beginnings of the title winning side... a near enough perfect start to my live games.

My Mum took me to Ewood for what I think was the last game of the season in 1966, Rovers played Blackpool and I think Rovers got beat 1-3. I seem to remember Rovers having an Australian goalkeeper although I cant remember his name. It was to be Rovers last game in the old First Division, I think my Mum must have realised that a period of decline was going to occur and wanted to give me the memory of seeing them in the top Division. A sad parallel to the current situation. Its funny the games you cant remember a thing about but certain games stick in the mind forever. As an aside the team that played a while later I can still recite the back six namely, Jones, Goodwin, Wilson, Hunter, Mulveney, Knighton. Which seemed to go unchanged for what seemed a long time. I couldnt name much more recent line ups.

The Australian Goalkeeper would have been John Roberts, it was not quite the last match of the season that was against spurs.

My first game was against stoke 64/65, probably taken on the off chance that Matthews was playing- which he didn't.

• Backroom

The first game I remember was a home draw to tranmere and then an away game at tranmere the same season in 1990 or so

Rovers 7 v Spurs 2 on Saturday 7th September 1963.

Yes this was the first time I saw Rovers although I knew the team backwards from the newpapers and magazines of the day and I am one of those fortunate enough to have been at Ewood that day and see one of Rovers greatest ever performances against a great Spurs side.

Those memories don't fade and can't be taken away.

My first game was Blackburn vs. derby 1987 won 3-1 garner x2, curry.

Started going with my dad and grandpa, and think he may have gone with his dad as well. So potentially family members watching Rovers in 3 different centuries. Now until this mob none of us going after Wigan (well last two are dead so they are defo not going, I hope, but sure they wouldn’t go anyway!!)

Been some great games in my life time Charlton (Wembley) 1987, Anfield in 1995, Spurs (Cardiff) 2001, Leicester (Wembley) 1992, plus big big home wins but my person fav was beating Derby at home in 1992 play offs reason being we lost in play offs in 1988 vs. chelski, lost in 1989 vs. palace, lost in 1990 vs. Swindon, then went 2-0 in 10 mins vs. derby and thought here we illegitimate go again only to come back and win 4-2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYfcT_hOGnw.

Nearly all the love for them is gone now. C’est la vie

Kean out!

Venkys out!

1966 against Man Utd. Lost 4-1 I think. The scum were singing 'Bye Bye Blackburn' to the tune of 'Bye Bye Blackbird'. Not sure if we actually were relegated that day.

My first game was Blackburn vs. derby 1987 won 3-1 garner x2, curry.

Started going with my dad and grandpa, and think he may have gone with his dad as well. So potentially family members watching Rovers in 3 different centuries. Now until this mob none of us going after Wigan (well last two are dead so they are defo not going, I hope, but sure they wouldn’t go anyway!!)

Been some great games in my life time Charlton (Wembley) 1987, Anfield in 1995, Spurs (Cardiff) 2001, Leicester (Wembley) 1992, plus big big home wins but my person fav was beating Derby at home in 1992 play offs reason being we lost in play offs in 1988 vs. chelski, lost in 1989 vs. palace, lost in 1990 vs. Swindon, then went 2-0 in 10 mins vs. derby and thought here we illegitimate go again only to come back and win 4-2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYfcT_hOGnw.

Nearly all the love for them is gone now. C’est la vie

Kean out!

Venkys out!

Marco Gabiadiinni, blast from the past!

Dec 92 - Watford at home in cup 6-1 is the 1st game I can remember... I was 8

I had started to support the team the previous year and once id got into footy , my grandad then started to take me to games when the school started getting match tickets.

I always wanted to support Man Utd, because most of the kids in Helmshore did. But my dad, a miserable cheap git, wouldn't to take me to Old Trafford so we went to Blackburn instead.

I was struck by how boring live football was and Ewood Park was a half-empty dump. I had no idea what was going on but I liked watching Howard Kendall, who was player manager at the time, because his bald head made him easy to identify.

Most memorable game was an away trip to QPR, same era. Don't know what made my dad decide to stump up for that, but I was impressed by their ground - they had a scoreboard that actually displayed words rather than just numbers, and it kept flashing up GOAL! SUPER HOOPS! GOAL! every time they scored. Which was often.

August 1979 - Howard Kendal had just taken the reigns following our relegation to Div 3. We were playing Notts Forest, the then european champions (equivalent to todays Barcelona, LOL) in the league cup. Forest were managed by Brian Clough and had players such as John Robertson and Martin O'Neil.

There were 20,000 on that night. I was 10 years old and sat on one of the iron bars on the terracing on the old Riverside so that I could see, being held there by my dad's mate. We gave Forest a good game but were 1-0 down going into the last minute, so I decided to get off the bar as my ass was numb!

Of course, Tony Parkes then popped up with a last minute equaliser which I missed...but I had been baptised and was already hooked.

The equivalent today I suppose would be watching someone like Huddersfield holding Man U or Chelsea at home.

Rovers 4 vs 2 West Ham, Jan 1994 or 1995.

Dicks with two for them, Le Saux free-kick and a Shearer hat trick for us.

Great first game :)

My dad assures me it was against Sheffield Wednesday in the 1982/1983 season. He still has the programme.

I was 3! Sat in the nuttall street upper!

Also went to both burnley games that season.. unfortunately cant remember that.

Archived