BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Dickson Etuhu

We definitely need to add a player or two up front. Strangely enough I think our backline might not be too bad now we have addressed the problems in midfield. It couldn't have been easy for anyone playing in our back 4 last year, our midfield was non existent.

Good signing, happy with this one.

good, honest pro, could be our new savage

More of a Mokoena from what ive seen(not necessarily a bad thing), goes without saying 4 year deal for a 30 year old being paid most likely higher than hes worth wages is again just dum(or plane careless!), says to me they arnt planning on sticking around that long, they want a quick promotion and another years prem tv money to at leastcover any losses, then Sayonara!

We definitely need to add a player or two up front.

Agreed Ricky. Whilst we should be solid enough in midfield if Murphy and Etuhu stay fit, I can't see there's anyone currently at the Club in the absence of Best who will find the net on a consistent basis. That said, if we could land Rhodes it would be a coup of monumental proportions.

Left back was also our problem position last season fior me. It will be interesting to see if we can solve that as well.

A proper left back and then have one of the youngsters to cover... Let olsson move higher up the pitch and there is the pace we need from the left... How fast is vukcevic for the right?

Edited by Buckshaw Rover

Half the year??? Really!!

I'm pretty sure we'll be looking at him missing for around 4-5 games.

OK sorry, exaggerated a bit.

Still though, if we lose him for those games and sell Petrovic, N'Zonzi goes out on loan, Gattuso isn't ready to step up, Lowe is inconsistent, Dunn will be injured, Pedersen will be off, our midfield still looks a bit bare.

I think Etuhu will be decent at Championship level but I do think we need another.

This particular one is down to Danny Murphy putting pressure on Kean and Shebby. After a couple of friendlies, he's convinced that Etuhu would be a perfect fit.

Thanks for that. Hopefully Murphy will be able to do the managers job a bit more often. It's frightening though just how incompetent Kean is if he is relying on advice from his players on who to sign.

Just seen Kean quote on Etuhu "Dickson is a player I have admired for a long time and he will be a fantastic addition to the squad" He admired him for so long that Murphy had to tell Kean to sign him. Kean tells lies shocker.

Edited by blueboy3333

I think Etuhu will be decent at Championship level but I do think we need another.

Valid point. I'm not sure if Petrovic is actually desperate to leave but if not I would say midfield options of Murphy Etuhu and Petrovic with Dunn available for cameo 30 minute bursts nd cover etc would look very strong at this level.

That said, the wage bill won't stretch forever. I would imagine we're also hoping Jason Lowe can step up. Although he did better at full back than his alleged natural position in midfield last season imo.

Edit: Oops - edited.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

As I said yesterday very pleased with this signing. BUT a 4 year deal really is ridiculous. I know we have to pull out the stops to bring Premiership players down a league but if we don't go up this season it will be frightening.

I think the parachute money goes 16m/16m/8m/8m.

So hopefully failure to go up this season would not prove terminal financially. Difficult to see how it wouldn't be if we didn't go up inside two seasons though. Maybe the thinking is we would still be able to sell him with two years cleft on his contract if we haven't been promoted by then.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Some quotes from Fulham fans -

Etuhu is good if you give him a simple job like Hodgson did. However, when we play football under Jol, it requires players to be more well rounded so it isn't suited to Etuhu. Etuhu can be good if he is used correctly.

all i can picture is that 15 min cameo against norwich in which he took out about 5 of their players and stopped their attacks wave after wave.....to the chorus of "dickson your a c**t etc etc".....classic Etuhu

He was integral to the Hodgson era and played exceptionally well within the required role.

Block the centre, force the opposition wide, give the ball to the nearest colleague and act as a third centre back. Never appreciated by some supporters who wanted him to do more but that wasn't part of his instructions.

He gets a lot of very unfair stick.

I like having a player who other teams know not to mess with.

Tottenham away at White Hart Lane in the 7th place season - Huddlestone and Etuhu are both running full speed towards a loose ball, both collide and Huddlestone must've been forced back 2 or 3 metres.

A few minutes later, same 2 players are running for the ball, Huddlestone stops running and lets Etuhu get there first.

I hope he stays, he is the only player in the squad with real muscle and can dig in against physical opposition. With so many lighter and skilful players we need someone like him who does the dirty work.

I agree. There will be times when we need exactly this and we will miss the fact we don't have him in the side. I think we are a tad harsh on him. He has dominated games before for us and if he wants to stay, I would keep him as a tactical substitute and an occasional starter against some sides.

It's actually a really sad day, I liked Dickson, they don't come much more hard working or honest on the pitch than he is.

Maybe not the classiest of players, but thought he always did well at breaking up play (And sometimes, players) and distributing the ball to more creative influences, unless they were over 10 yards away!

In the right system and against the right team he is very effective, particularly when we are defending deep. His passing isn't top drawer but that's why he was always paired with Murphy, but last season he wasn't playing much and wasn't very sharp when he came on. Most successful teams have a player of his type.

Last stats I checked Etuhu had the 3rd highest pass complete percentage of all Fulham players last season (that was mid season but still a stat to note). He doesn't create, that's not revolutionary, but he doesn't give the ball away either.

He was a bit of an enforcer, strong in the tackle and good in the air, also had lots of pace. Passing and creativity was not his strength but surely everybody knew that. Scored some good goals, who remembers that one against Man City. Hope this is just a rumour.

Murphy for manager !

at least Danny Murphy shall know what it takes to be an effective footballer at professional level unlike the scottish imposter.

Sadly, if he's already making suggestions about signings and knowing his penchant for speaking his mind, i suspect Murphy is more concerned about the mess he's got himself into than getting eyes for the top job. I mean honestly, alarms bells must be ringing if Kean has approached him and said, "Danny me old fruit, can you think of anyone you'd like to play alongside this season? I'd really love it if they could be young with bags of potential and enthusiasm coupled with the experience and wisdom of age. I've been wracking my brains for somebody i might have coached, but to be honest Coventry didn't have anyone other than Dann or Best worth taking and the lads at Sociedad thought i was Mickey Thomas so thats a no go. I know it's a lot to ask, but i'm stumped."

Sadly, if he's already making suggestions about signings and knowing his penchant for speaking his mind, i suspect Murphy is more concerned about the mess he's got himself into than getting eyes for the top job. I mean honestly, alarms bells must be ringing if Kean has approached him and said, "Danny me old fruit, can you think of anyone you'd like to play alongside this season? I'd really love it if they could be young with bags of potential and enthusiasm coupled with the experience and wisdom of age. I've been wracking my brains for somebody i might have coached, but to be honest Coventry didn't have anyone other than Dann or Best worth taking and the lads at Sociedad thought i was Mickey Thomas so thats a no go. I know it's a lot to ask, but i'm stumped."

Could look at it in different ways.....maybe Murphy thinks it would be a great place to start his managerial career......relatively decent squad, good youngsters......the fans will love him instantly because his name isn't Steve Kean.....and the owners won't sack him no matter how bad he does providing he's a good thinker.

And I suspect it was Murphy just recommending Etuhu rather than Kean going round asking players.....although I imagine it's quite common for a manager or whoever to ask new signings about potential ones from their old clubs....well, I know I would do it.

Edited by Salgado Is A Hero