BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wilcox

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wasn't a fan. When we won the Premier League he was a prime candidate to be replaced in my opinion. Didn't do enough often enough for my liking.

Nice watch though. " Rolex " Daytona's don't come cheap.

You might not have been a fan but Alan Shearer certainly was. 

21 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wasn't a fan. When we won the Premier League he was a prime candidate to be replaced in my opinion. Didn't do enough often enough for my liking.

Nice watch though. " Rolex " Daytona's don't come cheap.

Not often I don't agree with your posts Tyrone but I thought both Wilcox and Ripley where magnificent during our premiere league win.  When the defence where under pressure, one or both of them where the outlet.  Absolutely invaluable.  IMO of course.

58 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Not often I don't agree with your posts Tyrone but I thought both Wilcox and Ripley where magnificent during our premiere league win.  When the defence where under pressure, one or both of them where the outlet.  Absolutely invaluable.  IMO of course.

ya, they were deadly 

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

I would agree with you about Stuart Ripley. I rated him from the first time I saw him playing for ' Boro at Ewood.

He had a battle royal with Alan Wright and honours ended up just about even. I remember thinking this little full back's going to be a good 'un but I wish we could sign that blond winger.

I just didn't think Wilcox contributed enough at both ends of the pitch. I thought the same about MGP. 

To paraphrase a quote I first heard from a player regarding Bobby Charlton - " You'd never win anything with a team of Jason Wilcox's because you'd never have the ball ".

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I would agree with you about Stuart Ripley. I rated him from the first time I saw him playing for ' Boro at Ewood.

He had a battle royal with Alan Wright and honours ended up just about even. I remember thinking this little full back's going to be a good 'un but I wish we could sign that blond winger.

I just didn't think Wilcox contributed enough at both ends of the pitch. I thought the same about MGP. 

To paraphrase a quote I first heard from a player regarding Bobby Charlton - " You'd never win anything with a team of Jason Wilcox's because you'd never have the ball ".

Without doubt he would have benefited from having a world class left back behind him and two centre forwards who could get on the end of everything he flung in, but I find this view of Wilcox staggering to be honest. Football is certainly a game of opinions and you are normally a decent judge of a player TS but I think you're miles out on this one I'm afraid.

Wilcox was selected by Chris Sutton at the end of his career as being in the best eleven he ever played with (and he played with some good 'uns!), and Alan Shearer was always singing his praises as being an unerring early crosser of the ball and one of the major reasons why he (Big Al) was so prolific for us. As for suggesting he didn't work hard to get the ball back - I actually saw that as a major strength of our two wingers in the title winning season and perhaps one of the small differences between us and the Mancs that gave us the edge. 

I would agree with you on MGP by the way.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah well it's all about opinions. That was mine. I've been wrong before - but not often.

I think that you are wrong here though. Wilcox was public enemy number one at Ewood for a few years, but he was a key cog in the title winning wheel. He was integral to the way Rovers played. It's no coincidence that from dipped after his season ending knee injury (March was it?). Kenna and Le Saux had to perform duties after that and the team was disjointed.

He was also one of the fittest players in the team.

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He could cross a ball I'll give you that. One of the best right foot crossers of a ball I've ever seen was wearing the no 9 shirt for us at the time.

The best crosser of a ball I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt is the club's all time leading goal scorer.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sorry, my mistake. I thought Garner was decent regarding crossing the ball but not exceptional. Mike Harrison was the one if you didn't mind getting your head on the other end of a bullet like cross.

He was just before my time

42 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The best crosser of a ball I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt is the club's all time leading goal scorer.

He was masterful at crossing the ball whilst in full flight Andy. Far too many players now simply can't do what once was a standard execution which led to many goals. Ripley could do similar from the right side.

Wilcox got a lot of goals as well compared to Ripley. They were both great and were a massive part of our title in my opinion. Wilcox did not look like a player but he was class at getting that early cross in (usually of top quality). I think alot of the negatives thrown at him are way off if you ask me.

I actually find it quite astounding that people are attacking any player that won us the Premier League.

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Wilcox got a lot of goals as well compared to Ripley. They were both great and were a massive part of our title in my opinion. Wilcox did not look like a player but he was class at getting that early cross in (usually of top quality). I think alot of the negatives thrown at him are way off if you ask me.

I actually find it quite astounding that people are attacking any player that won us the Premier League.

That was the attitude that caused us to slip down the league the next season. The minute you stand still you're actually falling behind. We should have gone out and signed a top class left winger and a top class centre half to replace Wilcox and Pearce. 

There's place for sentiment in football. How do you think Fergie kept United at the top for so long ?

Wilcox and Ripley providing the ammo for the SAS was a revelation. We  wouldn't  have won the PL without that style of play so they have my undying respect and gratitude. And  to be honest,they influence my opinions on how football should be played to this day, for better or worse.I'm very much a believer in getting in down the wings and whipping in the forwards in the box,ala Shearer / Sutton / Ripley/ Wilcox. If  Mowbray adopted a similar philosophy with Samuel/ Dack / Bennett / Chapman / proper wingers, we wouldn't be far wrong IMO.

On 10/15/2017 at 02:40, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was the attitude that caused us to slip down the league the next season. The minute you stand still you're actually falling behind. We should have gone out and signed a top class left winger and a top class centre half to replace Wilcox and Pearce. 

There's place for sentiment in football. How do you think Fergie kept United at the top for so long ?

because I rated Wilcox is why we slipped down the league? More to do with Dalglish walking and Harford taking the reigns if you ask me. I agree we should have strengthened but that falls at the managers door and not on my opinions on players.

Archived