BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

To be honest, it's more his temperament that is the problem. He has several decent attributes and can be a more than useful player. Never diminish the sideways pass, especially if you have other players in the team who can contribute with more direct attacking play.

Its okay to pass a ball sideways, when it will actually benefit the team, when you have people running the line.But, you cant constantly do that whenever you get the ball, as if you are unsure of yourself. Passing a ball sideway and backwards under no pressure, just doesnt make sense, especially if you have players who are running through the middle. I just dont get him to be quite honest, and again that is just my personal opinion.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its okay to pass a ball sideways, when it will actually benefit the team, when you have people running the line.But, you cant constantly do that whenever you get the ball, as if you are unsure of yourself. Passing a ball sideway and backwards under no pressure, just doesnt make sense, especially if you have players who are running through the middle. I just dont get him to be quite honest, and again that is just my personal opinion.

This may also have been instruction, though. I'm inclined to believe that as he was capable of a really good long forward ball to the wing from time to time.

uhm, football is simple, you let the ball do the work. Im by no means deluded, ive played the game, still do. You can play the game like Barcelona, not necessarily as brilliant as what they do it, but you can. However, if the ball is constantly being passed backwards, then you allowing the opposition to re group, instead of getting the ball, looking up and see what is in front of you. You can say what you want, along with Den, i will stick to my guns on Nzonzi. If he proves me wrong, then ill admit to making a mistake. Nzonzi gets the ball, passes it sideways, gets the ball passes it backwards. In your opinion, what exactly does that do, besides slowing the game down, and not moving forward?

Watch the Champions League tonight - watch Barcelona at any time. They pass it backwards and sideways all the time simply to retain possession. And yes, I've played football too - to a high standard, and I can tell you no one is capable of playing like Barcelona because they are unique. They're boring to watch, but they are unique.

You can have 80% possession, but its what you do with that which matters. Its easy to hold onto the ball, but if you have players making runs, and you pass a ball sideways, or you push the ball back, then you halt a potential opportunity. There were many times, where we had players in a position, but Nzonzi just didnt know what to do with it. If you are on a quick counter, then possession doesnt really matter, because you need to work the ball much quicker, and not allow the opposition to re organise themselves.

It's called a game-plan and it's the manager's job to come up with one.

Sadly, our previous manager had never heard of the concept so Nzonzi never had any options in front of him, and was therefore forced to go sideways or backwards to retain possession. He was easily the best player we had at keeping the ball.....games he didn't play were ones we struggled to play three passes in a row....like City and Spurs away.

He was a really good player and will go on to play in the Champions League imo.

Murphy and Formica are two other midfielders who now play better because there are options for them to pass to......if Nzonzi was still here, he would be bossing the Championship....but I don't blame him one bit for leaving because he's far too good for this league and who would want to stay at a club with Kean as manager.

Football is a simple game and here's the simplest adage of all "if you haven't got the ball you can't score".

And that's where N'Zonzi came in. Rarely gave the ball away.

And "yes" I am aware of the remote possibility of an own goal!

It's ultimately better retaining possession by passing it sideways or backwards rather than trying to force the play and lose the ball.

Unless its the last 10 minutes and you're losing.

Note- its always easier to spot a forward pass sat in the stands than it is from the pitch.

I've shied away from posting it twice but this attack on Tottenham fans is horrid that occurred in Rome. One is in very serious condition.

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2012/November/22/tottenham-fans-attacked-in-rome/

http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Squadre/Lazio/22-11-2012/roma-ultra-laziali-scatenati-tifoso-inglese-grave--913290440574.shtml

From Gazzetta, Italy, there is even some suspecting this is a "racist" attack instead of just an Ultra attack? Why? because of the Spurs association?

Middlesbrough fans were attacked at this same "Drunken Ship" bar and there's a history of these attacks in Italy, unfortunately.

DiCanio's old club Lazio is who Tottenham plays.

It's called a game-plan and it's the manager's job to come up with one.

Sadly, our previous manager had never heard of the concept so Nzonzi never had any options in front of him, and was therefore forced to go sideways or backwards to retain possession. He was easily the best player we had at keeping the ball.....games he didn't play were ones we struggled to play three passes in a row....like City and Spurs away.

He was a really good player and will go on to play in the Champions League imo.

Murphy and Formica are two other midfielders who now play better because there are options for them to pass to......if Nzonzi was still here, he would be bossing the Championship....but I don't blame him one bit for leaving because he's far too good for this league and who would want to stay at a club with Kean as manager.

Our previous manager was SA, not that excuse for an oxegen wasting amoeba

Are Villa this years Rovers? All their decent players seem to have been replaced by untried youngsters, and rumours that Darren Bent can't play for contractual reasons. This is the team they've put out against Reading tonight:

Brad Guzan, Matthew Lowton, Nathan Baker, Ciaran Clark, Enda Stevens, Brett Holman, Ashley Westwood, Barry Bannan, Andreas Weimann, Gabby Agbonlahor, Christian Benteke

I'm off to put money on Villa to be relegated!

Archived