BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool and Man City looked good today, but Arsenal were very average. If this is a sign of things to come, then Arsenal are going to struggle to get a Champions League place. Liverpool are looking better than last season already.

It looks like the fans are with him so far. Woy was practically hounded as soon as he signed up, and especially when Kenny started stirring the pot and letting it be known he would take over.

Rogers could do great things at Liverpool, but he needs a few years to really turn the club into title challengers again.

Dave Whelan?

Yea, I'm not sure where I heard it or even if it was Swansea.....I was gonna say maybe it's the owner but Whelan obviously played for us.....anyway I think I read that someone high up is an ex-player and has been very successful in their decision making.....my ex-housemate at Uni was from Swansea and he said they won on the last game of the season against Hull about 8/9 years ago to prevent them dropping out of the football league.....fair play for getting, and staying, in the Premier League.

As for Liverpool, they have made some decent signings with Sahin another one....unlike Hodgson who bought players like Konchesky.....not top 6 standard......Allen should have been giving most of the plaudits for Swansea's passing, not Leon Britton and Borini was really good at Swansea, albeit in the C'ship......they desperately need a goalscorer though......although that would mean playing Suarez off him and a 4-4-2 meaning they would have to leave out one of Allen, Gerrard or Lucas.....unless they went 3-5-2/5-3-2 with Johnson and Enrique as full backs....with Lucas and 2 of Gerrard, Allen and Sahin......a good enough goalscorer and they might even get top 4.....I would have genuinely bought Yakubu if I was Rodgers.......I'm sure Arsenal will get better once their new signings gel.....they will probably strengthen also.

I don't see any reason to change formation, the 4-3-3 is very fluid and works very well. They will need a squad to cope with the European games.

That way I would have Lucas sitting with 2 from Allen, Gerrard and Sahin alongside, with Henderson and Shelvey as back-up.

Borini and Suarez are both capable of playing in any 3 of the forward places; it was their and Sterling's interchanging and movement that looked dangerous today.

Dempsey would be a good signing as he is technically good, is good in the air to give them that option, he scores plenty and would give them something different.

They also have Sterling as mentioned and also Joe Cole, Carroll, the Moroccan winger(Aissadi?) and Downing to compete for the forward positions.

Players like Lucas(if fit), Suarez, Reina, Enrique, Johnson and Gerrard all have qualities to suit Rodgers' style of play.

I suppose actually, I didn't really consider that.....I'd play 4-3-3 then but would still buy a goalscorer......expensive though, look how much Bent cost......you could sell Carroll to Newcastle I suppose.......no Champions League so probably couldn't attract the bigger names.....Dempsey can play up front though......was impressed with them quite a bit today....Sterling looks a really good prospect, it's been a while before their academy has produced one of their first team players, Gerrard and Carragher might have been the latest.

im not so sure, i think he is one of those managers who can manage smaller clubs well like hodgson but would struggle at the bigger clubs, the liverpool job is an impossible one, the one thing they crave more than anything is the one thing they are a million miles away from getting and any manager who doesn't achieve it, is quickly binned.

• Backroom

Rodgers went there and said a lot of things about the Liverpool way and all that guff to get himself in the fans good books

Seems to have worked and will buy him more time even if it goes wrong

A lot happening today:

QPR reached an agreement with Real Madrid for Esteban Granero €8m. Good player. Looking forward to see how he will cope in EPL. He has to undergo a medical and agree personal terms.

Dimitar Berbatov having a medical at Fulham.

West Ham squad does not seem that strong - big money buy on Jarvis, not seen much of him but perhaps Sam, like when buying Kalinic, has panicked a little?

QPR going for it, owners backing Hughes big time.

I watched West Ham against Aston Villa and they looked really good, playing good passing football and really controlling the match. They were unlucky to come away with a 1-0 as they had heaps of chances.

The next week I watched them play Swansea and it was like watching Rovers under Sam again. Solid defending, but not much of an attacking threat. They got undone by 2 individual mistakes because prior to that they were keeping Swansea at bay and not allowing them to control the play.

The way Sam set up the team was inviting pressure onto them and he needs to learn when to play long ball and when to retain possession against teams like Swansea.

I watched both Swansea games as well and they were incredible both times. I expect them to finish top 10 this season.

West Ham squad does not seem that strong - big money buy on Jarvis, not seen much of him but perhaps Sam, like when buying Kalinic, has panicked a little?

QPR going for it, owners backing Hughes big time.

Jarvis was Wolves' standout player in recent seasons.....a really good signing......I half-expected Liverpool to sell Downing and buy him......and West Ham have bought Diame off Wigan who is usually one of their best players......and Jaaskaleinen who is a very solid keeper....their squad isn't the greatest but Tomkins a good CB, and they have some decent youngsters like Jack Collison who I'm a fan of.

West Ham should finish roughly 15th if they keep Allardyce....if QPR sort out their defence they could come around 10/11th.

I hope Rogers gets the same amount of time afforded to Kean - especially from the press.

Already he and AVB seem under pressure. Crazy.

I'm not really sure what is so great about the PL, the only differences seem to be the amount of money agents can earn and the amount of self-serving bs from the paymaster TV company. I guess it's the potential to play some top sides twice a season - at least it was back when we were competitive - now it doesn't have the same appeal. Even if, by some miracle, we are promoted next year, we can no longer compete.

Archived