BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the last case of a player we sold going on to be an overwhelmeing success at their next club(s)? Off the top of my head, Bellamy?

Can certainly think of many more disappointments than successes.

Was Bellamy that good for Liverpool? I'd say he was at Man City but he was at West Ham in between......Duff was good at the start of his Chelsea career.....Shearer and Friedel were as good or almost as good.

Did anyone watch the BBC program on Hillsborough tonight?

The independant review is due to deliver a verdict on Wednesday. It won't be the end of things, as the HJC are still looking into other aspects, but should offer a fuller understanding of the disaster.

I can only hope that it helps the families and friends of the 96 come to a better understanding of the day, and the ends they seek from this.

For Rovers fans, that day in April 89 represents Simon Garner becoming our record all time goalscorer 4-0 vs City I think, then getting home to find out the horrific news from Sheffield.

I cannot see any other outcome than a major error by the police, but it will be interesting to see if there is any evidence of cover up by anyone else.

What a ridiculous comment Jim, go to any rough area and make comments that are controversial whether accurate or not and see what happens....

An accident that happended because it happended, the reason no one has ever been held "accountable" is that there were so many factors that if had slightly changed or differed things could have ended up so much differently.

There has to be a time though that people move forward from grief.

What a ridiculous comment Jim, go to any rough area and make comments that are controversial whether accurate or not and see what happens....

An accident that happended because it happended, the reason no one has ever been held "accountable" is that there were so many factors that if had slightly changed or differed things could have ended up so much differently.

There has to be a time though that people move forward from grief.

No civilised society could accept that Neekoy.

Liverpool fans were crushed by Liverpool fans many of whom had no tickets. The police made mistakes for sure but imo they weren't solely to blame

Would you care to repeat that statement in pub in a rough area of Liverpool ?

Typically immature comment in the extreme. Silly even.

So lets see then, there were 3 possible groups that crushed the poor beggars at the front to death.

a. Nottm Forest fans? Nope. They were at the other end.

b. The Police? Nope.

c. Many more Lpool fans in and around the Leppings Lane stand than tickets allocated. Arriving late with many according to reports bevvied up.

Go on now Sherlock, your turn. Who do you think did the pushing from the back?

They might not accept an accident but they couldn't prevent one.

http://dictionary.ca...dent?q=accident

I didn't use the word accident Gord, Neekoy did. But you can't just write off Hillsbrough without a full inquiry - and that's the nub of the matter - the families of those who died don't believe they got one. Taking the view that it should just be forgotten because someone thinks it was an just an accident and thus, I guess it's being argued - unaviodable, is not how a civilised society should work.

So lets see then, there were 3 possible groups that crushed the poor beggars at the front to death.

b. The Police? Nope.

c. Many more Lpool fans in and around the Leppings Lane stand than tickets allocated. Arriving late with many according to reports bevvied up.

D) the authorities who treated fans like animals and put them in "pens" (police term).

E) the senior police who didn't have the usual stewards in the area to direct fans to other less cramped areas of the ground

F) the senior police who decided not to delay kick off when there was an obvious crush outside the turnstiles

G) the senior police who decided to open the gates and allow fans to storm through and into the one tunnel through to the pens.

H) the football league who didn't make sure Hillsborough had a valid safety certificate before the game.

There is video evidence of other crushes involving spurs fans in the same area of the ground 2 years before the disaster.

The reason for the late arrival of Liverpool fans was roadworks on the m62, meaning the rumours of the fans being "bevvied up" are basically untrue, and come from the same senior policeman that claimed fans had stormed the gate, when actually its proven he ordered it to be opened. The same guy who lost the security tape of the incident.

It will be very interesting to see if the government of the day, who treated every fan as a hooligan, where involved in a cover up of evidence at the time.

b. The Police? Nope.

You may wish to have a read of http://www.mirror.co...n-reade-1318730 . I defy you to not burst into tears before the end.

b. The Police? Nope.

23 years ago on the Monday following Hillsborough I went to Anfield. Every time Rovers visit Anfield I take my kids to the memorial. I shall go again tomorrow.

Perhaps you should do the same?

You may wish to have a read of http://www.mirror.co...n-reade-1318730 . I defy you to not burst into tears before the end.

I've just read it, Ozz, along with other articles and the TV news stories and my stomach's churning. I think those families who somehow found the strength to keep fighting for so long are incredible. If I was in their shoes and my husband/dad/kids never came home from a football game... and then seemingly 'untouchable' authorities told the world that they were drunks/criminals... it's just too horrendous to contemplate. And how heinous is it that so many of those fans might have survived? I feel so much for those families now discovering that their relatives could have lived. How can this ever be put right for them? And I find Kelvin Mackenzie's apology totally repulsive.

Liverpool fans were crushed by Liverpool fans many of whom had no tickets. The police made mistakes for sure but imo they weren't solely to blame

Erm, wrong.

Great day for Liverpool fans, they won't have to listen to this sort of baseless tosh from know nowt people who simply don't have a bloody clue. How awful to be accused of the things that they had. Not only have they had to put up with the grief, the loss and the memories of what happened that day, they have been purposefully hung, drawn and quartered in public by people covering their own backsides...shame on anyone to blame and anyone to repeat such ######.

b. The Police? Nope.

Wow, really cemented your application for the knob of the decade award there Gordon.

23 years ago on the Monday following Hillsborough I went to Anfield. Every time Rovers visit Anfield I take my kids to the memorial. I shall go again tomorrow.

Paul 4 years ago I went to Etaples Military Cemetary.

Paul no one can defend the indefensible. There were mistakes made but we knew that already. What we didn't know was the cover up and the extent of it. We do now and we can only hope lessons are learned and justice is done. Personally I hope that revenge and compensation will not now take the place of justice. No amount of any of those will bring the victims back.

Im surprised there is no separate thread on this topic. The (not exactly unsurprising) revelations of today have really bothered me, I don't mind admitting a few tears have been shed by me. For those of us who went to football matches pre 1992 and all seater grounds, this disaster could have happened to one of us. Some of the images and stories I have read compare with the stuff from Helmand, Ypres, etc.

Thanks Pedro. I must say I'm confused now. Can you tell me who crushed the victims then..... before you hand your trophy over?

Gordon. You may feel you are right - or you may simply be trying to save face. But you are on to a loser with this line.

Put the shovel down. Please.

Archived