BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loads of empty seats at Man City tonight. I thought they were supposed to be the club that 'real' Mancs supported, but they're two games away from the title and they can't fill their ground.

I think you have to admire his ability to do what he did, so late on in the game. It's wasn't exactly spectacular but just confirmed what a phenomenal player he is. His physique combined with an ability to move on the ball and finish so clinically is incredible. I'm not sure anyone else could have done it; for me that makes it outstanding!

And then we know who will be joining us in the Chamionship next season: Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff. Norwich could still by some unreal corrupt miracle stay in the PL, but a negative 32 goaldifference versus West Broms 15 is a big ask. See now that Norwich has only scored 28 goals this season - really really bad. I know some on here think they will be a real contender next season, but I have a hard time seeing. Losing mentality etc and none of these teams will get it easy in the Championship.

On to the title - as much as I would like for some of my Liverpool-supporting friends to get the experience of winning the PL, I can't help but snigger to myself. Something about how they gave themselves the title before it was over while Man C kept quiet. Almost as nice as seeing Moyes at Man U. It really has been a fun season hasn't it?

Loads of empty seats at Man City tonight. I thought they were supposed to be the club that 'real' Mancs supported, but they're two games away from the title and they can't fill their ground.

And they want to expand the stadium. Maybe those fans were watching the tv's in the tunnels as it was raining lol

And then we know who will be joining us in the Chamionship next season: Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff. Norwich could still by some unreal corrupt miracle stay in the PL, but a negative 32 goaldifference versus West Broms 15 is a big ask. See now that Norwich has only scored 28 goals this season - really really bad. I know some on here think they will be a real contender next season, but I have a hard time seeing. Losing mentality etc and none of these teams will get it easy in the Championship.

On to the title - as much as I would like for some of my Liverpool-supporting friends to get the experience of winning the PL, I can't help but snigger to myself. Something about how they gave themselves the title before it was over while Man C kept quiet. Almost as nice as seeing Moyes at Man U. It really has been a fun season hasn't it?

Newcaslte had an even bigger losing mentality and they bounced straight back.

Its what you do when the season starts and not how you end the last. Ask Bolton

At least the majority of their fans come from Manchester though. United and Liverpool only fill their ground because they have plastic glory fans from all over the country.

At least the majority of their fans come from Manchester though. United and Liverpool only fill their ground because they have plastic glory fans from all over the country.

Exactly, and in 5 years time after many more trophies, people will commend them on filling it which is ridiculous when you really think about it.

Their stadium is much bigger than Liverpool's anyway.

I agree. Biggest threat could be Cardiff as they have only been in the prem for a year. There's nothing scary about Norwich and I think Fulham could struggle. A foreign manager and a squad of foreigners with no experience of the championship. Granted many will be offloaded by necessity but does magath know who to replace them with?

All over bar the shouting - congratulations to City and boo sucks to Liverpool and their arrogant bloody awful supporters.

you could have posted that same opinion whatever the outcome. City fans are hardly the best are they? In fact we've had more problems with that lot than enough.

• Backroom

I've always thought Liverpool and city fans can be intolerable but both have extremely loyal and committed fanbases

Really? I'd bet there are a lot more Man Utd fans in Manchester (and Liverpool fans in Liverpool) than there are City fans.

Anyway, 2.5 million people in Greater Manchester, half a million in the city itself, and they can't get 60,000 to watch them all but clinch the title.

Edit: Here's an article about the 'blue Manchester' myth: http://therepublikofmancunia.com/attendances-manchester-united-vs-manchester-city-the-city-is-ours/

If you don't fancy reading that site (it's pretty red) then the summary is that United have had bigger attendances than City since before glory supporters existed - every year since 1947, including years when City won the league and when United were in the second division, and throughout the 1970s when City was the more successful club.

Cardiff are unlikely to lose many players to Premier League clubs in the summer and could do well as long as the owners let the manager do his job. Norwich have a decent side too but have been badly managed and I can see one or two of their key players leaving. Fulham looks like a rebuilding job to me with the club in turmoil on and off the pitch. All in all I don't think we have a,lot to fear from them - assuming of course that we are stronger next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cardiff do the double and end up in League 1.

There is the 'Tan' factor of course and the fact that OGS knows little of the Championship but there must be lots of backroom staff that know their way around this Div. There are lots of imponderables though koi and I do accept that they could go either way. As Jim says there is little to fear.... just as long as we remain on the current track.

If you don't fancy reading that site (it's pretty red) then the summary is that United have had bigger attendances than City since before glory supporters existed - every year since 1947, including years when City won the league and when United were in the second division, and throughout the 1970s when City was the more successful club.

Plastics are reduced to debating the size of the crowd are they! Magic! ^_^

Has it occurred to any of them that if City's plane had gone down and City had signed 'El Beatle' and become the darlings of the press that it'd be the other way around?

• Backroom

If Cardiff had Mackay I would back them to go back up (although they possibly wouldn't have gone down) as it stands I expect them to do what we did and make silly signings for this league and struggle.

Norwich have a team of decent championship players though and Fulham are a pretty poor side but the likes of Rodellega will score goals if kept around.

Plastics are reduced to debating the size of the crowd are they! Magic! ^_^

Has it occurred to any of them that if City's plane had gone down and City had signed 'El Beatle' and become the darlings of the press that it'd be the other way around?

Whatever the reason, that's the way it is. And they were getting bigger crowds long before Munich and Best, and continued to get bigger crowds when they were relegated.

The article is a couple of years old, I think it was a response to things like the 'welcome to Manchester' poster for Tevez, as well as the commonly held assumption that City are the local club while United's fans all travel up from Essex.

Whatever the reason, that's the way it is. And they were getting bigger crowds long before Munich and Best, and continued to get bigger crowds when they were relegated.

The article is a couple of years old, I think it was a response to things like the 'welcome to Manchester' poster for Tevez, as well as the commonly held assumption that City are the local club while United's fans all travel up from Essex.

That says more about the southern softies football clubs than northern grit and tenacity

That says more about the southern softies football clubs than northern grit and tenacity

When I think 'northern' I don't think 'grit and tenacity' - I think 'I could buy an entire street in your town for the price of my garage'

Oh, just in case:

:P

Today being VE Day, I couldn't help thinking back to the 50th Anniversary night when Flowers played out of his skin to deny Newcastle. We effectively won the title that night to be assisted on the way the following weekend by Miklosko. Keepers make all the difference!

Happy days!

Edit: Cheers Gav!

Archived