BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] General Golf Thread

For me this is the most compelling event in the sporting calendar, along with the final 18 holes of the Open Golf.

Ultimately a very disappointing morning for Europe imo, USA played so badly early on that Europe had the opportunity to put all 4 matches to bed and take a 4-0 lead. But didn't take it.

Looking at the line ups for the afternoon fourballs this afternoon, as well I would fancy USA to win all four of them. Hope I'm wrong!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointing performance so far from the European team.

Only Colsaerts has played well throughout from tee to green. Poulter has putted like a demon and has shown the heart of a lion but he seems to be the only European who is either really pumped up for it or who can get the ball in the hole on the greens. Donald finally found some form yesterday afternoon but a lot of our other marquis players like Rory, McDowell, Westwood and Rose haven't come to the party at all.

10 - 6 is a lot better than it might have been, it looked like it could have been 12-4 for much of last night but it will still need one of the comebacks of all time to make it vaguely interesting today. Obviously we'll need to win the first three or four matches out so Olazabal will have to pack the top order with our big guns and hope for a big improvement throughout the team.

I hope we can do it, but I can't see anything other than a crushing US win unfortunately.

The yanks have had the rub of the (putting) green overall. A few putts dropping instead of looping the hole might have made a massive difference to the scorecard. They are obvious favourites but it will be interesting to see how the US will respond to the pressure of expectation that is now on them.

Olympics and now this doesn't reflect football in the best light does it?

Absolutely unbefookin' lieveable!

The Ryder Cup never fails to disappoint but I don't think I'll ever be privileged enough to witness anything like that again as long as I live.

The US had a day like we had the first day and a half and could do little right but we were superb.

The last 3 holes from Rose and the long putt on 17 after Mickelson almost holed an impossible chip was probably the best golf under pressure I've ever seen.

And even after all that unbelieveable effort thought Kaymer had blown it on 18. I was screaming "Just get it down by the hole side" and he races it seven feet past!

Him making the return makes up for Bernhard Langer missing from 4 feet to lose at Kiawah Island all those years ago.

Poulter again - what a star. Not the best ball striker in the world but the heart of a lion when it comes to matchplay.

Magical stuff.

Edit: The faces of the American players at the closing ceremony are absolutely priceless. Talk about not wanting to be there. And they're having to sit through some Gaelic/Scottish folk music sheeite! :lol:

For sheer drama and nerve-jangling excitement that was the best day's sport I've witnessed since we won the Ashes back in 2005 and probably one of the best Ryder Cups ever - if you are European of course.

Rose's match with Mickelson and probably the pick of a host of wonderful matches played in a great spirit by all the players. As the US crowds the least said the better.

Fantastic stuff! As I predicted it might the weight of expectation and an 'only needing 4 points to win' attitude screwed them over. Golf can do that to people.

All this throws another major spanner in the works for sportsman / team etc of the year awards. I'd be amazed if 'Team Chelsea' even get a mention.

As for Obama I was at St Andrews on Friday and got talking to two 'good ol boys' in the form of two Texican brothers. They were just like JR and Bobby and insular as hell. They concede that Obama will win but hate him with unbelievable intensity. He may as well be the ant-christ. My observation that I thought Romney was flakey as hell rather fell on stony ground. I certainly wouldn't put a trip to Dallas on my agenda if I was Obama.

btw Jim I didn't go into minute detail but they pay just 18% in income tax and were at the home of golf as part of an incentivised reward package for their staff of 90. Money is made round to go round, I imagine if they'd been taxed at 50% their staff would have had an office party complete with cheap wine and a few crisps and nuts and the good people of Scotland would be missing out on countless thousands of greenbacks.

For sheer drama and nerve-jangling excitement that was the best day's sport I've witnessed since we won the Ashes back in 2005 and probably one of the best Ryder Cups ever - if you are European of course.

Rose's match with Mickelson and probably the pick of a host of wonderful matches played in a great spirit by all the players. As the US crowds the least said the better.

You hate Aussies now Americans and you call someone else racist .

What a weekend , kean goes , Ryder cup and broncos batter the raiders .

Hangover easing

You hate Aussies now Americans and you call someone else racist .

I don't hate Americans, in fact I love 'em (at least the Democratic variety) because mostly they are Anglophiles. My comment was aimed at US golf fans which obviously went right over your head. You're also confusing racism with nationalism.

As for Obama I was at St Andrews on Friday and got talking to two 'good ol boys' in the form of two Texican brothers. They were just like JR and Bobby and insular as hell. They concede that Obama will win but hate him with unbelievable intensity. He may as well be the ant-christ. My observation that I thought Romney was flakey as hell rather fell on stony ground. I certainly wouldn't put a trip to Dallas on my agenda if I was Obama.

btw Jim I didn't go into minute detail but they pay just 18% in income tax and were at the home of golf as part of an incentivised reward package for their staff of 90. Money is made round to go round, I imagine if they'd been taxed at 50% their staff would have had an office party complete with cheap wine and a few crisps and nuts and the good people of Scotland would be missing out on countless thousands of greenbacks.

Good ol' USA... low tax rates while people die in hospital car parks because they can't afford to pay for medical care. Depends what sort of country you want to live in; I'd rather be in a fair and relative prosperous one thank you. When are you leaving ?

This is a golf Ryder Cup thread by the way.

Anyone who can post web links to sour US golf fans or online newspaper comment would be much appreciated.

• Backroom

The British summer of sport just got even better. WOW that was some amazing golf. Poulter might be a bit ######, but my God he knows how to motivate. When he's captain (he will be at some point, surely) he'll be unbearable haha.

The Premier League had a different winner (Man Citeh).

Chelsea beat the Germans on penalties to win the Champions League.

Rory McIlroy won the PGA Championship.

Bradley Wiggins became the first British winner of the Tour De France.

The greatest British Olympic team in AGES, won too many medals.

The greatest British Paralympic team won too many medals.

Andy Murray won a Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows.

Europe won the Ryder Cup.

The only let down? The England football team (I'll include Team GB football, who were equally inept).

Congratulations to Europe for winning the Ryder Cup.

I'm sorry our golf fans were rude.

As to Obama winning, not likely if you look closely at the polls. Independents are breaking for Romney and Democrats are [currently] being oversampled. The press always does this a month or so before the election, then the Republican makes up a surprise 6 points or so.

Congratulations to Europe for winning the Ryder Cup.

I'm sorry our golf fans were rude.

As to Obama winning, not likely if you look closely at the polls. Independents are breaking for Romney and Democrats are [currently] being oversampled. The press always does this a month or so before the election, then the Republican makes up a surprise 6 points or so.

I bet you as much as you want that obama will remain president .

I bet you as much as you want that obama will remain president .

:rolleyes:

Speaking of wagers, apparently the Ryder Cup result cost the English bookies a lot of money. So despite the behavior of my fellow Americans, we kind of did you a favor.

• 8 months later...
  • Backroom

Any chance of making this a general golf thread? Great win in the US Open for Justin Rose. Been a long time coming for one of (imo) the best and cleanest swings on tour.

First English Major winner since Faldo in 1996 and first English winner of the US Open since Jacklin in 1970!

Congratulations to Justin Rose - one of the so-called "golden generation" of English golfers who has finally delivered.

Now we need the likes of Donald, Fisher, Poulter and especially Westwood to do the same.

Archived