BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Thanks for that AS.

Absolutely brilliant, what an opening round! what a fight, how did they take those punches in the first round?

As for best fight, Benn V McClellan was brutal, watched it in a The Cellar bar in Blackburn, fantastic night packed to the rafters.

Also the Barrera v Morales fights take some beating.

Arturo Gatti V Micky Ward.

Edited by GAV
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lewis vs Tyson was some fight too. Even if Tyson was on his way out.

It would have been if they'd got together a few years earlier. Pretty one sided after the first. Tyson was photographed smoking dope on the beach a couple of weeks before the fight. He was mentally and Physically shot.

The nearer this fight gets the more I'm actually leaning towards Pacman. I rate Floyd and can't understand the stick he get's stateside. He's technically brilliant at what he does but Manny has a real chance of outpointing him if he doesn't get reckless. Everyone says speed is the way to beat Mayweather yet the same people predict him winning on points. Manny has the speed and punch count to out point him for sure if he can keep it up for 12.

• Like 1

Mayweather was outstanding, Manny was poor, and I'm not sure it was just down to Floyds tactics either.

I can't help but think for Manny it was 1 fight to many, he didn't have the tempo or fitness to sustain his attacks.

Mayweather on the otherhand looked like he could have carried on another 12 rounds.

I hope this is the end of it and they don't try to put on another fight, but money talks, watch this space.

Miost people I know thought it was overhyped rubbish ! Manny chasing after him :rock:

It wasn't the best AS, but then again these type of events very rarely are.

Freddie Roach and Bob Arum have both claimed Manny suffered a shoulder injury in training.

If so it looks like a rematch could have some legs, but I doubt they'd be able to make this fight again after all the trouble this time around.

It was snooze inducing.

Maybe there is something there in the right shoulder injury, I was wondering why Manny wasn't trying to set up the right hand as Floyd was circling away that way every time (he's obviously not going to circle into his power hand I know). Easier said than done trying to set a shot up like that on Mayweather but I would have expected some sort of setup for it in 12 rounds.

The reach disadvantage obviously wouldn't help too of course.

Edited by donnermeat

The main thing for me was the size and reach difference. Manny has to get inside and let a few go but he got tagged trying that early on so he's no way of landing scoring punches unless he kept going in and letting them go but with Floyds reach he was tagging him easily. It was like watching a catchweight contest at times with the size difference, Manny just couldn't hurt Mayweather unless he landed on the button.

He ran out of ideas then ran out of steam a bit, don't know about his shoulder but he wasn't on his toes like he has been for the last few fights. Over trained maybe. Got to say it though Mayweather is something special in the ring and in his business mind, in all the rest he's a tit :excl:

Styles make fights and as a big boxing fan I found it interesting if not spectacular. Sadly when joe public get involved in these things they just want to see them rip each other heads off but that was never ever going to happen. Some people should stay away from boxing and watch cagefighting or summat lol

Edited by tomphil

The people here saying this should have been a match five years ago were right on the mark. Tip of the hat.

It even seems I heard something like Pacquiao had even lost some of the matches he had been in lately, that is something to research.

It sure doesn't seem so much money should have spent over this match. It went in a bit of an expected manner.

I don't like sporting events where I'm mainly hoping one side loses rather than cheering on oneside and with this boxing match, many were like me, hoping Mayfield would lose.

But it hasn't really been too troubling of a result.

The people here saying this should have been a match five years ago were right on the mark. Tip of the hat.

It even seems I heard something like Pacquiao had even lost some of the matches he had been in lately, that is something to research.

It sure doesn't seem so much money should have spent over this match. It went in a bit of an expected manner.

I don't like sporting events where I'm mainly hoping one side loses rather than cheering on oneside and with this boxing match, many were like me, hoping Mayfield would lose.

But it hasn't really been too troubling of a result.

You could look at it another way and say Pacman has had about ten more fights than Mayweather and he's also stopped a few good fighters that Floyd ambled the distance with. He was utterly disgracefully robbed in the Timothy Bradley fight, the corrupt Yanks at their best not wanting anymore titles leaving their shores. He battered Marquez then got careless in trying to finish him off and walked on to one, no doubt a reason why he was cagey last night. End of the day Manny and his style open him up to mistakes and he's made a few. Mayweather is almost flawless hence the unbeaten in 48 and the way he deals with whoever is the next big challenger one after another with his no risk style.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

It leaves a bitter taste in the mouth for me Audax.

Whilst not making excuses is admirable, what about all the fans that have paid good money to watch 2 fighters in tip top condition go to war?

It was clear from the outset that something wasn't right, he should have pulled out of the fight, but wait a minute, I forgot, it's all about money isn't it....

Edited by GAV
  • Like 1