BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Absolutely made up for AJ. Didn't watch the fight but look forward to doing so shortly.

I don't get too worked up about Fury tbh. For twenty years I worked in an industry where you regularly came across gypsies. Some of them were what I termed absolute vermin but others (admittedly a much smaller percentage) were just fine and you could have a laugh with them. They have their ways and it's in their genes and how they are brought up.

When AJ and Fury meet, assuming Fury still holds his belt, Fury will get knocked into kingdom come.

I'm a big fan of Joshua but the fight last night shows how morally bankrupt the sport is. Martin a world champion ??! Pathetic. And how can you be 'world' champion when there are three others ?

There's a reason they took the fight with Martin at this early stage in Joshuas career, because he was very beatable and had done nothing of real note before he got the belt. He was classed as a good prospect though but obviously in the USA now that doesn't mean what it used to in terms of ability. Martin won the belt because his previous opponent, the then champ, retired with a bust knee.

From Martins point of view this was the biggest money spinner on the table, more than a fight in the US with Wilder even and he genuinely thought he could win. The belts are only becoming splintered again because Klitsckho is getting over the hill and the IBF only became available because big tough Fury wouldn't risk his mandatory defence after winning it and risk losing another huge payday with Wlad.

If Fury does Wlad again then the next few years could be great in the heavyweight division, especially in the UK. Matter of time before Wilder gets found out as well. David Haye must be licking his lips, would fancy him doing the job on AJ, Wilder and Fury.

I disagree about Haye, the mans all hype as we saw when he fought Klitschko, but I agree its an interesting domestic division on the world stage if you get my drift.

Joshua could dominate the division for years to come if his career is managed correctly, interesting division domestically for sure.

I just watched a short documentary about Joe Calzaghe, what a champion he was, heart, dedication, boxing skill and craft, just the real deal, a credit to the sport of boxing.

Edited by GAV
  • Like 2

He's a United fan. Goes hand in hand with arrogance.

Its correct that Boxing sells tickets on being politically incorrect. Personally that's when I'm most likely to watch it I detest PC culture and "humans as corporate puppets" in other sports. Tyson was hilarious and the undisputed king of PPV.

The outrage over that Haye v Chisora fight was ridiculous as well. Boxing is immoral what's the World coming to lol! Funny that a lot of the same press who were "outraged" didn't mind making money off it.

Edited by VinjayV4

Haye is a blown up cruiserweight, with not many top level wins at heavyweight. Ruiz I would still class as credible even though if it was the end of his career. You can only fight who is around at the time though I suppose. But he does have the speed and the ring savvy I believe to take a fight with Joshua into the later rounds, still don't think he would win like but it would be interesting to see how Joshua's cardio holds up in the later rounds with all that muscle. This is assuming of course if he can avoid getting caught flush in the early rounds.

I won a fiver on Pacman lol didn't watch it as I knew he'd win he's a level above Bradley as their 2nd fight showed and the fight he lost against him was just about the biggest scandal I've ever seen in boxing. Just money fights though so Pac wasn't taking a risk in his so called last fight just like Mayweather. I'm amazed enough people pay to see them to make it viable when they are so nailed on.

I disagree about Haye, the mans all hype as we saw when he fought Klitschko, but I agree its an interesting domestic division on the world stage if you get my drift.

Joshua could dominate the division for years to come if his career is managed correctly, interesting division domestically for sure.

I just watched a short documentary about Joe Calzaghe, what a champion he was, heart, dedication, boxing skill and craft, just the real deal, a credit to the sport of boxing.

I understand why Haye gets stick, but AJ's footwork and movement is not good enough for me. I think Haye would expose that and it would just be a matter of time. AJ's chin not been properly tested but Whyte had him reeling from what wasn't what you would call a great shot. I hope the fight happens as will be a great one to watch and find out how Joshua copes with a tricky, fast fighter.

Was that the 'Mr Calzaghe' documentary? Absolutely brilliant story, he's one of my favourites of all time.

Haye is a blown up cruiserweight, with not many top level wins at heavyweight. Ruiz I would still class as credible even though if it was the end of his career. You can only fight who is around at the time though I suppose. But he does have the speed and the ring savvy I believe to take a fight with Joshua into the later rounds, still don't think he would win like but it would be interesting to see how Joshua's cardio holds up in the later rounds with all that muscle. This is assuming of course if he can avoid getting caught flush in the early rounds.

I think Haye uses that weight difference to his advantage though, and he does still carry big power. In his comeback fight he looked like a different animal size wise, think he was 17 stone plus if I remember right. Obviously the guy he was fighting was a joke, but if Haye still has the good speed and movement at 17 stone plus then things could get interesting.

I've convinced myself that AJ/Haye needs to happen soon, and that it will. Just feels like it makes sense (commercially, at least). Haye doesn't deserve a title shot, but then again in what world is Charles Martin vs 15-fight Anthony Joshua a world title fight? The Haye fight would be really interesting - one of those where in the build up I'd manage to convince myself that both will win.

Wouldn't feel comfortable sticking AJ in with Fury. I think the big man would have too much ring savvy for him. And, like donnermeat suggests, I think there might be a big issue with AJ's stamina if he gets dragged into the later rounds. Every fighter eventually meets the man he can't knock out, so AJ needs to be able to beat people by winning rounds when he's knackered too.

Feed AJ a couple more "testers", give him Haye at the end of the year, then he can look to Wilder in 2017.

As for Calzaghe: my favourite fighter ever, and always will be!

I don't think I see this mentioned above, Rest In Peace, MMA:

MMA fighter dies 48 hours after suffering TKO loss in Ireland

Portugese MMA fighter Joao Carvalho died Saturday at a hospital in Ireland after suffering a TKO loss at Total Extreme Fighting 1 in Dublin, Carvalho’s coach confirmed via Facebook on Tuesday.

Carvalho was in critical condition after losing to Charlie Ward at the event and underwent brain surgery immediately following the action, according to the Facebook post. Here’s the message translated from Portugese.

"Note death The Nobrega Team comes this way confirm the death of her athlete Joao Carvalho,at the Beaumont Hospital in Dublin by 21:35 hours. It is with great dismay and sadness that we write these words, saying that the death of the athlete João Carvalho happened after 48 hours in critical condition. During the TEF-MMA event, held on Saturday at the National Boxing Stadium in Dublin, where all safety rules are met, and after a match where the arbitration followed all the correct procedures and customary, the athlete John "Shaggy Dog" Carvalho felt bad, about 20 minutes after the end of combat.

Read More At: http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/25551784/mma-fighter-dies-48-hours-after-suffering-tko-loss-in-ireland

Give me an Anthony Joshua any day over a Tyson Fury.

I agree the division needed a shake up, but not by someone who talked more than he punched.

Fury is an embarrassment to the sport, the sooner he retires the better.

Joshua convicted drug dealer who was facing eight years in the nick. Brilliant role model indeed, especially if you like your pills and powders.

Joshua convicted drug dealer who was facing eight years in the nick. Brilliant role model indeed, especially if you like your pills and powders.

I've missed you on this thread ojw, glad you're back and I mean it :tu:

Joshua has turned his life around, was probably born into an environment where he had little opportunity so turned to crime, but thats all history now.

With the right management he could go right to the top and dominate the division like Lewis did, that can only be good for Britain.

I've missed you on this thread ojw, glad you're back and I mean it :tu:

Joshua has turned his life around, was probably born into an environment where he had little opportunity so turned to crime, but thats all history now.

With the right management he could go right to the top and dominate the division like Lewis did, that can only be good for Britain.

Cheers Gav. Big of you. Hope all ok.

Credit to Joshua. Very pleased for him. And yes he's turned his life around and all the more credit to the lad for that alone.

Don't think Fury had it easy on gypsy campsites though!

Pleased to see Blackwell recovering.

Good wins for Groves, Selby, Macklin and the twin.

Irrespective of the hype it's a good time for UK boxing. Genuine world class in Brook, Fury, Joshua, Frampton, Smith x 2, Haye etc a second group slightly below in Crolla, Quigg, Whyte, Groves, Saunders, Eubank and a large crop of younger fighters following and learning from decent pros. Good times ahead for UK boxing in general.

Cheers Gav. Big of you. Hope all ok.

Credit to Joshua. Very pleased for him. And yes he's turned his life around and all the more credit to the lad for that alone.

Don't think Fury had it easy on gypsy campsites though!

Pleased to see Blackwell recovering.

Good wins for Groves, Selby, Macklin and the twin.

Irrespective of the hype it's a good time for UK boxing. Genuine world class in Brook, Fury, Joshua, Frampton, Smith x 2, Haye etc a second group slightly below in Crolla, Quigg, Whyte, Groves, Saunders, Eubank and a large crop of younger fighters following and learning from decent pros. Good times ahead for UK boxing in general.

Its a good time domestically with all the fighters you mention, Kel Brook needs a big fight now, time for Eddie Hearn to deliver.

No you're quite right about Fury, he probably didn't have it easy, but that doesn't mean he has to act like a kn0bhead now though.

Watching him and Saunders before the Eubank v Blackwell fight, surprised nobody has said anything about their antics winding Eubank up, thought is was very distasteful, Saunders waving the belt on Chris Snrs face egged on by Fury, just not needed in my opinion.

What do you think about Eubank jnr? the lads got the tools, seems to have most things but lacks power? or thats my feeling?

I'm not Amir Khans biggest fan but i tip my hat to the lad for fighting Saul Alvarez, thats a tough fight, couple of weight divisions up I believe, which certainly puts question marks against his biggest attribute, his speed.

I may even stay up for this one, its been a while since I did the 3am boxing thing.

Edited by GAV

Very big fan of Amir Khan. Some good recent wins however have still not put the glass jaw theory to bed. Predicting a points win over Canello but few agree!

Eubank junior is top notch. Fought the wrong fight against Saunders, a bit like Quigg / Frampton. Feel his power will come as his technique is very good and his timing and delivery polished. Very good chin!

Ohara Davies also looks good as do the Yafai brothers. Conor Benn also well regarded by many in the game.

I've still got a feeling that Brook is the best we've got. Looking forward to him demolishing rated fighters.

I find Khan/Canelo hard to fathom. Is there really that much money in it for him?

Even if he's been killing himself to make welterweight (which I'm not sure is the case) you should be looking to have a fight or two at the new weight to acclimatise. To jump in straight away against Canelo, who looked a beast next to Cotto, is asking for trouble.

I've always felt as though Khan sees himself as a technical expert - a version of Mayweather - so is perhaps assuming he can follow the Floyd blueprint to beating Saul. But actually I think he's much more limited technically than is the perception of him. He's quick but his footwork isn't excellent, his defence is leaky (especially against pressure fighters) and he's there for the counter, as Danny Garcia has proven.

Credit to him for stepping up but I can't see the logic. Surely the Brook fight would have made more sense on almost every single level, aside from US profile. I wonder what Virgil Hunter's true thoughts on it are.

Have you actually looked into the Fury family history namely this so called super trainer uncle or his dad who gouged a blokes eye out ? How much misery did uncle Peter bring to the streets with his former profession ffs !

They are scum and that big dick only inspires disgust and derision when he opens his juvenile mouth. Also while we are at it the only one who lived the true pikey way was John because he was a rough neck who chose too. All this Gypsy stuff is @#/? you should have seen the house Tyson lived in a few years back BEFORE he'd made much from boxing, not a caravan in sight.

• Like 2

I find Khan/Canelo hard to fathom. Is there really that much money in it for him?

Even if he's been killing himself to make welterweight (which I'm not sure is the case) you should be looking to have a fight or two at the new weight to acclimatise. To jump in straight away against Canelo, who looked a beast next to Cotto, is asking for trouble.

I've always felt as though Khan sees himself as a technical expert - a version of Mayweather - so is perhaps assuming he can follow the Floyd blueprint to beating Saul. But actually I think he's much more limited technically than is the perception of him. He's quick but his footwork isn't excellent, his defence is leaky (especially against pressure fighters) and he's there for the counter, as Danny Garcia has proven.

Credit to him for stepping up but I can't see the logic. Surely the Brook fight would have made more sense on almost every single level, aside from US profile. I wonder what Virgil Hunter's true thoughts on it are.

I think they're desperate to fight Mayweather, and who wouldn't be with the riches on offer, and time isn't on Khans side with Mayweather looking to retire with his record intact.

If Khan beats Alvarez it puts more pressure on Mayweather to fight him, if Khan takes his time Mayweather and the cash will disappear forever.

Thats my take on things anyway.

Have you actually looked into the Fury family history namely this so called super trainer uncle or his dad who gouged a blokes eye out ? How much misery did uncle Peter bring to the streets with his former profession ffs !

They are scum and that big dick only inspires disgust and derision when he opens his juvenile mouth. Also while we are at it the only one who lived the true pikey way was John because he was a rough neck who chose too. All this Gypsy stuff is @#/? you should have seen the house Tyson lived in a few years back BEFORE he'd made much from boxing, not a caravan in sight.

None of which has anything to do with Joshua currently cashing in claiming the moral high ground purporting to being a decent role model. Good old Eddie and Matchroom spinning it to the masses.

Not sure what Fury family actions have to do with Fury either. Simply put, Tyson Fury upset folk with some of his comments and that is all he has been 'charged and convicted' of. I can live with that in light of Mayweathers and Brunos wife beating, Chisoros spitting, Brown's drug use, Joshuas drug dealing, Hayes beheading tee-shirts and Tysons rapes and ear mauling.

Small fry really in context if you like the boxer, major drama if you don't.

I don't like Fury because he's an idiot, with views that belong in the dark ages, not because he's a gypsy, playing the race card shows him for exactly what he is, an complete tool.

He's no motivation for fighting Klitschko now :wacko: do we really need a Tyson Fury in boxing? I'm not sure we do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/36038621

Edited by GAV

None of which has anything to do with Joshua currently cashing in claiming the moral high ground purporting to being a decent role model. Good old Eddie and Matchroom spinning it to the masses.

Not sure what Fury family actions have to do with Fury either. Simply put, Tyson Fury upset folk with some of his comments and that is all he has been 'charged and convicted' of. I can live with that in light of Mayweathers and Brunos wife beating, Chisoros spitting, Brown's drug use, Joshuas drug dealing, Hayes beheading tee-shirts and Tysons rapes and ear mauling.

Small fry really in context if you like the boxer, major drama if you don't.

He's been perfectly open about it from the word go so he's hardly claiming the moral high ground. If anything he's a shining example of how boxing can help turn someone's life around. Fury on the other hand is a perfect example of how getting a bit of fame, money and plastic notoriety gives someone the license to act the dick in public and get away with it.

Seems you were the one making the drama about Joshua because you don't like him. That's fair enough it's all about opinions.

I agree on the Eddie Hearn point though, he does sell sand to the arabs at times and most blindly lap it up. He did pull off a masterstroke getting AJ in with that Martin though, he knew damn well the title was in the bag as soon as the Brit detonated.

Edited by tomphil