BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Fury is an arrogant asshole ,simple as . No respect for fellow boxers ,no respect for the history of boxing and no respect for himself. As for these so called travellers that don't travel anywhere words don't describe the two facedness of it.

• Like 1

He's been perfectly open about it from the word go so he's hardly claiming the moral high ground. If anything he's a shining example of how boxing can help turn someone's life around. Fury on the other hand is a perfect example of how getting a bit of fame, money and plastic notoriety gives someone the license to act the dick in public and get away with it.

Seems you were the one making the drama about Joshua because you don't like him. That's fair enough it's all about opinions.

I agree on the Eddie Hearn point though, he does sell sand to the arabs at times and most blindly lap it up. He did pull off a masterstroke getting AJ in with that Martin though, he knew damn well the title was in the bag as soon as the Brit detonated.

No drama from me Tomps, just laughing at the spin, hypocrisy and gullibility.

No reason to dislike Joshua either and will respect him even more when he's achieved something at world level.

Never said Fury was a good role model which seems to be the point you are arguing. Regardless your getting your plastics mixed up. As far as I can see Fury hasn't changed at all and says what he wants. Joshuas the one with the script writer and pointed rhetoric selling to the casuals.

I know you thought Klitchko would spark him out and were disappointed Fury won. All the more reason in my book to re-consider his abilities after defeating a ten year linear champion with relative ease.

• Moderation Lead

Absolutely no argument from me in that Fury is being genuine, I don't like a lot of what he has to say, but he sells tickets and gets people talking, ergo, he's done a lot of his job already before he sets foot in the ring!

Edited by K-Hod

No drama from me Tomps, just laughing at the spin, hypocrisy and gullibility.

No reason to dislike Joshua either and will respect him even more when he's achieved something at world level.

Never said Fury was a good role model which seems to be the point you are arguing. Regardless your getting your plastics mixed up. As far as I can see Fury hasn't changed at all and says what he wants. Joshuas the one with the script writer and pointed rhetoric selling to the casuals.

I know you thought Klitchko would spark him out and were disappointed Fury won. All the more reason in my book to re-consider his abilities after defeating a ten year linear champion with relative ease.

Didn't think he would spark him out if you go back to my posts I always thought he had a chance. I did want him sparked though :)

Age as much as Fury beat Wlad that night and I suspect there was some kind of injury being covered up. I think Fury will do him in 6 this time though.

Absolutely no argument from me in that Fury is being genuine, I don't like a lot of what he has to say, but he sells tickets and gets people talking, ergo, he's done a lot of his job already before he sets foot in the ring!

He HAS to do that though because his actual boxing has never been as spectacular as your AJ's, Hayes, Wilders etc. These guys spark people and that's why fans get excited and want to watch them.

It's interesting to note that when he was fighting Chisora in the first date in Manchester I logged on to buy tickets online only a few days before it was called off. Half the arena was closed off similar to when the darts is there and the available half was around 50% full at best. There was a fair set of other fights on as well involving some local names. This was only days before it was scheduled and they ended up switching it to London as part of a bigger bill.

Also look at his twitter followers, in the days of social media it's a marker for popularity whether we like it or not. As the lineal 2 belt (was 3) Heavyweight champion of the world you'd expect him to have a fair few following him but AJ already has probably double.

He doesn't have mass appeal for his boxing nor his personality so he's carving himself out a niche. There is nothing genuine about it at all as he even struggles with that because he's on a constant contradiction and as soon as he has a difficult question or runs out of something to say he reverts to bible quotes.

The minute a proper heavyweight gets to his chin he's gone. Although history now says he's THE man who beat THE man it does say that about a good few heavyweights who did naff all else besides. He's the hype job imo. If he proves me wrong i'll relent.

Edited by tomphil

Yeah said before that's what boxers should do (Ali proved that trash talk sells) but I just don't like him one bit.

I'm sure Bruno denied assaulting his wife (so its at least unproven and probably only her word against his) and I've heard some unpleasant things about her.

The only reason I had any interest in Haye v Chisora was because of their pre-fight antics. Wasn't very happy at the handshake afterwards but suppose we should have guessed that might happen. UFC would probably be even more successful if Dana White wasn't as strict on feuds, trash talk, etc...not that he's against a bit of that himself! A huge boxing match still outdraws anything on PPV even UFC.

Edited by VinjayV4

Boxing will always draw more than MMA and that will never change, coming from an MMA fan too.

Doesn't help that the majority of people around the world are a bit ignorant to the rules, regulations and sanctions in MMA competition. HUMAN COCKFIGHTING BARE KNUCKLE FIGHTS TO THE DEATH IN THE STEEL CAGE etc. Not that I blame people for thinking that way mind, if it doesn't grab you it just doesn't grab you, so if the interest isn't there then people won't look into it too deeply. It's come a long way in the last 25 years though.

I'm just a combat sports fan in general really.

Didn't think he would spark him out if you go back to my posts I always thought he had a chance. I did want him sparked though :)

Age as much as Fury beat Wlad that night and I suspect there was some kind of injury being covered up. I think Fury will do him in 6 this time though.

Age and injuries Tomps? Ok pal.

Personally speaking I think you are over engineering Fury's victory a tad. ;) Tyson is a massive unit with a long reach and simply due to size, forgetting any ability, will prove a handful for all.

I don't think Fury will spark him out. I am expecting an improved Klitchko, throwing some punches this time, yet still feel he loses on points again. Especially now home advantage has been forsaken.

Age and injuries Tomps? Ok pal.

Personally speaking I think you are over engineering Fury's victory a tad. ;) Tyson is a massive unit with a long reach and simply due to size, forgetting any ability, will prove a handful for all.

Aye and i'll counter that with a right hook and say your ignoring clear mitigating circumstances :tu:

Anyway moving on...........

Boxing will always draw more than MMA and that will never change, coming from an MMA fan too.

Doesn't help that the majority of people around the world are a bit ignorant to the rules, regulations and sanctions in MMA competition. HUMAN COCKFIGHTING BARE KNUCKLE FIGHTS TO THE DEATH IN THE STEEL CAGE etc. Not that I blame people for thinking that way mind, if it doesn't grab you it just doesn't grab you, so if the interest isn't there then people won't look into it too deeply. It's come a long way in the last 25 years though.

I'm just a combat sports fan in general really.

Well people have said "boxing is dead" and talked about the decline in gyms while MMA continues to grow. Even if the overall standard continues to drop there will probably still be someone like Tyson, Mayweather, etc to outdraw UFC. Tyson being a hilarious lunatic didn't hurt his PPV appeal either! Of course UFC is promoted completely differently to Boxing (including less trash talk unfortunately) so if that went down the whole industry would pretty much collapse.

Well that was an absolutely huge problem in the 90's due to people like John McCain. Almost put UFC out of business but the Fertittas (and White as he persuaded them to buy it) saved it. They struggled for a bit but then the Ultimate Fighter Tv show became a huge success. Now New York is scheduled to host its first ever UFC event at MSG. Nobody has been killed in UFC though I imagine it probably will happen at some point. There's been more deaths in the professional wrestling industry (including a few during a match in the ring) albeit mostly for lifestyle reasons. Plus the accident that killed Owen Hart.

There's still issues of course perhaps you heard about the fighter in Dublin who has just died. Joao Carvalho following his match with Charlie "the hospital" Ward. Guess people will ask Ward to change that nickname now though nobody seems to have blamed him. Did see some criticism of the ref for not stopping it sooner.

Edited by VinjayV4

Well people have said "boxing is dead" and talked about the decline in gyms while MMA continues to grow. Even if the overall standard continues to drop there will probably still be someone like Tyson, Mayweather, etc to outdraw UFC. Tyson being a hilarious lunatic didn't hurt his PPV appeal either! Of course UFC is promoted completely differently to Boxing (including less trash talk unfortunately) so if that went down the whole industry would pretty much collapse.

Well that was an absolutely huge problem in the 90's due to people like John McCain. Almost put UFC out of business but the Fertittas (and White as he persuaded them to buy it) saved it. They struggled for a bit but then the Ultimate Fighter Tv show became a huge success. Now New York is scheduled to host its first ever UFC event at MSG. Nobody has been killed in UFC though I imagine it probably will happen at some point. There's been more deaths in the professional wrestling industry (including a few during a match in the ring) albeit mostly for lifestyle reasons. Plus the accident that killed Owen Hart.

There's still issues of course perhaps you heard about the fighter in Dublin who has just died. Joao Carvalho following his match with Charlie "the hospital" Ward. Guess people will ask Ward to change that nickname now though nobody seems to have blamed him. Did see some criticism of the ref for not stopping it sooner.

Boxing is far from dead Vinjay. In fact I would go as far to say that this is he best ever era for British boxing across all levels bar none. We have more world title holders than ever before, more challengers to those crowns and a huge array of young boxing talent pushing for the higher reaches of the sport.

• Like 2

Fury now spouting Joshua is on roids, just the same as he did with Klitschko and one or two others. The same bitterness that his other pretend pikey mate BJS was aiming at Eubank Jnr.

Chips on their shoulders the size of a tower block these lot have.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

Fury now spouting Joshua is on roids, just the same as he did with Klitschko and one or two others. The same bitterness that his other pretend pikey mate BJS was aiming at Eubank Jnr.

Chips on their shoulders the size of a tower block these lot have.

Oh the irony lol

• Like 1

Deluded MMA fans say that. A forum I go on some people say it will surpass football! Deluded as I say.

is there any topic that your are not font of all knowledge on ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/36080289- Blackwell looks to have ruled himself out of a return to the ring, it's a shame for the lad in some ways but at least he's still here!

Was happy to hear this yesterday. Real shame but glad he has pulled through and on the mend, think there has been quite a bit of money raised for him too which is good.

Dominic Wade V Gennady Golovkin at the weekend, bit of a miss match, Golovkin should win inside 4 rounds.

Golovkins after Saul Alvarez, so it'll be interesting to see if Khan upsets that apple cart.

Edited by GAV

I've a feeling Khan may pinch that if he stays disciplined. I know Alvarez is decent but I don't think he's all he's cracked up to be. Mayweather made a mug of him but I doubt Khan will be as quick with the weight on and that may be the undoing, really interesting fight.

Dominic Wade V Gennady Golovkin at the weekend, bit of a miss match, Golovkin should win inside 4 rounds.

Golovkins after Saul Alvarez, so it'll be interesting to see if Khan upsets that apple cart.

Total mismatch with Golovkin. Getting sick of some of these mandatory's that the IBF insist upon. Why let Klitchko stay as IBF champion then strip Fury within two weeks of winning his crown? Brook v Bizier and De Gale against another no hoper. Joshua just battered that useless American.

Within 15 days of the Khan / Canello fight the winner has to sign to fight Golovkin. I presume Khan will immediately drop back down to 147 as he is mandatory for Garcia and the WBC. Canello doesn't want any of Golovkin, trying to get him down to 155 instead of 160. Canello probably wants Billy Joe to unify in that way.

Khan looks good at the new weight and being slightly taller than Canello may help. Light Middleweight is 154 so maybe he stays around that weight and fights for that title if winning or like I say drops to 147.

Fury and Klithcko been confirmed July 7th and Joshua v Breazale June 25th. Breazale is 17 and 0, with 15 knockouts. 30 years of age and 6 foot 7. Ranked 13 I think with the IBF below Haye and Chisora. Presume they are giving him someone tall in the approach to fighting Fury. Klitchko looks like he has been seeing a phycologist to me and looks much more at ease around Fury. Stating he will spark him out this time and was mentally shot last time, hence not letting his hands go.

Groves did a number on Froch mentally prior to fight one. Whyte got to Joshua with drug references. Fury really got to Klitchko last time and won the fight before stepping in the ring. May not be as easy this time round.

• Like 1

Great to see you back on the thread OJW, we may disagree on Fury, but I find your insights fascinating, you're clearly more than just a casual boxing fan like myself.

I think I heard Bunce claiming Saunders had been offered around £1m to fight Golovkin, an astonishing amount of money at this stage of Saunders career, surely he'd take the cash if that was right.

As for Khan v Alvarez, really looking forward to this one. Khan deserves plenty of respect for taking this fight when he could have taken easier options. It'll be interesting to see if he loses some of that speed with the change in weight.

Interesting fight.