BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Bet against Brook at your peril. He walks around at about 13 stone, so will have to come down in weight to fight anyway. The weight difference and power will not be as noticeable as Khan v Canello. Personally believe he has a very good chance and will bet on him to win if offered fair odds.

Tough fight of course and a big ask. Have seen Brook sweat down to Welterweight and he looks totally drained at that weight. If he wins he is catapulted into a global star. Lose and he remains welterweight champion and one of the very best in his division.

Brook will be earning in the region of 3 million for this fight.

As for Eubank senior. What a total plank. Eubank junior is a top fighter and improving all the time. Brook snapped up the terms on offer, the same agreement that Froch and Joshua work to, whilst Eubank fannied about over the referee, the amount fighters on the undercard received, wanted direct control of the promotion etc. Matchroom are a big brand in sport in general but boxing, darts and snooker in particular and are very good at their jobs.

Where does Junior go from here? Turned down the Billy Joe Saunders rematch and now lost out on this fight as well, Talk of him fighting the winner of Brook v GGG, but as only British Champ Brook will have far bigger fish to fry if winning. GGG is keen to promote a global brand and fight in many countries. Should he win, I doubt he would rush back for Eubank Junior.

Very exciting fight indeed. Quodos to Brook.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

Snr is allegedly trying to set up Jnr v GGG in USA regardless of what happens here but I doubt it. Also if GGG lost Canello would suddenly be back in thinking he's a chance.

Eubank snr fancies himself as a promoter but can only get in on it off someone else's back but you'll never out move Eddie Hearn. Loved the guy in the ring but out of it he's a clueless idiot who'll wreck that lads career before it's got going if he carries on. Apparently he's that controlling he won't even let Hearn speak to Jnr other than to say hello.

Barmy, he should be introduced to Venkys they'd make sweet music together :o

Just seen a photo of Brook and GGG stood together in Times Square from tonight. Brook in suit & shades, GGG just in shirt and it's noticeable how much bigger Golovkin is and I doubt he's much over his fighting weight :huh:

A quid says no :D

You know Tomps I was sure Billy Joe Saunders would win his tital fight (opponents name escapes) and I was sure Fury would also win. Just too chicken to bet big. on a cracking double.

What do you think of Liam Smith v Canello? I think Smith has a great chance in that as well. maybe my English bias clouding judgement. :) Ingerlaaaaandddddd

Well anyone can have a bad night and anyone can have a good one and sometimes that's all it takes.

I rate Smith highly but I'd like to have seen him take a smaller step up first. I've always said I don't think Canello is all he's cracked up to be but he's big and strong at the weight and can take shots. I do think he gets a bit gassed after about 7/8 rounds though. It'll be very difficult to get a decision over there mind.

Well anyone can have a bad night and anyone can have a good one and sometimes that's all it takes.

I rate Smith highly but I'd like to have seen him take a smaller step up first. I've always said I don't think Canello is all he's cracked up to be but he's big and strong at the weight and can take shots. I do think he gets a bit gassed after about 7/8 rounds though. It'll be very difficult to get a decision over there mind.

Wise words. Smith is also defending a title. I hope he knocks his head off.

Think Smith will get pasted personally (not that anyone was asking me), he hasn't fought anyone yet. Like previously mentioned, would have served him far better to take a smaller step up. With Alvarez being such a big fight for anyone, nobody will turn it down.

Wise words. Smith is also defending a title. I hope he knocks his head off.

Groves and Callum Smith sat together on the panel for Abraham fight looking a bit uneasy in each others company lol. Mind you everyone is uneasy around Groves ! Would like to see that one, good match up.

Think Smith will get pasted personally (not that anyone was asking me), he hasn't fought anyone yet. Like previously mentioned, would have served him far better to take a smaller step up. With Alvarez being such a big fight for anyone, nobody will turn it down.

Who asked you? ;)

Groves and Callum Smith sat together on the panel for Abraham fight looking a bit uneasy in each others company lol. Mind you everyone is uneasy around Groves ! Would like to see that one, good match up.

Yes Tomps very interesting that one. Got a feeling Smith stops him to the body late on, but Groves is a handful for anyone and Smiths chin hasn't been tested yet. Smith looks very big at the weight as well.

What odds a Brook / Smith double?

Good ones, although I won't be offering them :D

If it was at home I'd really back Smith but in front of frenzied Alvarez followers and the USA reputation for judges I can't see him pulling it off.

Just watched the Crawford Postol fight, it was a decent scrap, I predicted a decision win for Crawford though not by that margin. Only really became aware of him since the Ricky Burns fight, the guy is technically great. There's talk of a bout with Pacquiao next, though hopefully Burns will get another crack at him in the future to try and unify the division.

Yeah I'd like to see Burns have a go at him again but he's got a serious test first. I like Burns although he frustrates to watch sometimes it's impossible to dislike the guy, needs to ditch the pink stuff though :o

Really looking forwards to Santa Cruz v Frampton, potential firecracker and I probably lean towards the home boy basically because he is just that. Another I'm quite looking forward to is the Whyte v Allen scrap, both probably a bit limited but nothing better than seeing 2 HW's trying to knock each others blocks off !

Yeah I'd like to see Burns have a go at him again but he's got a serious test first. I like Burns although he frustrates to watch sometimes it's impossible to dislike the guy, needs to ditch the pink stuff though :o

Really looking forwards to Santa Cruz v Frampton, potential firecracker and I probably lean towards the home boy basically because he is just that. Another I'm quite looking forward to is the Whyte v Allen scrap, both probably a bit limited but nothing better than seeing 2 HW's trying to knock each others blocks off !

Has Whyte v Allen been sanctioned? The last I heard Allen was not deemed a suitable opponent by the British boxing board of control as he has only had 10/11 fights.

Santa Crus is a decent fighter. Both have speed, good feet and good hands. Don't think either can knock the other out however. Personally fancy Frampton as I rate his trainer Mcguigan very, very highly and think he will have a very good game plan for this fight.

Great effort from Frampton he's a real pressure fighter and to do it over there he's proved the real deal Barry McC always said he would be.

Whyte and Allen on the other hand proved what I feared, a pair of cloggers. Disappointed with that and the best thing Whyte will be is a poor mans Chisora I think.

Really enjoyed the Frampton fight. Easy to say after the event that he won, but I was properly holding my breath when the scorecards were being read. I leaned towards Carl but wouldn't have felt Santa Cruz on points would have been a robbery.

I think he's a real class act and he's shown it in outpointing Quigg and LSC just months apart. Would love to see him in with Selby, though if I were him I'd be going after Josh Warrington and all that Leeds-sponsored dollar.

Would Santa Cruz come to Belfast for a rematch? I suspect if he really does think that the crowd swayed the judges in New York, he wouldn't go near it. Very telling that he was pushing for LA for a second fight.

Really enjoyed the Frampton fight. Easy to say after the event that he won, but I was properly holding my breath when the scorecards were being read. I leaned towards Carl but wouldn't have felt Santa Cruz on points would have been a robbery.

I think he's a real class act and he's shown it in outpointing Quigg and LSC just months apart. Would love to see him in with Selby, though if I were him I'd be going after Josh Warrington and all that Leeds-sponsored dollar.

Would Santa Cruz come to Belfast for a rematch? I suspect if he really does think that the crowd swayed the judges in New York, he wouldn't go near it. Very telling that he was pushing for LA for a second fight.

Watched the fight again last night. Hard to pick a winner for sure and if Santa Cruz had got the verdict I wouldn't have complained. Cruz threw over 1000 punches and rarely took a step backwards.

I feel a better scoring system needs to be implemented. Not because this fight was so hard to call, but due to the continued vagary amongst the referee scorecards. One judge had this fight even (which I though fair), one at 117-11 and one at 116-112.