BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Not seen it myself and I won't bother watching it but it believe Ward was in another boring fight last night. Never quite got the big deal about this guy. Yes I know he's technically quite good in terms of being a defensive fighter and picking his scoring shots but I've always thought he was a bit of a spoiler.

Like an American journo said 'most Americans if Ward was fighting in their back yard would close the curtains'. Me too, hope Kovalev nails him but I see that being similar to the Froch fight and Ward bores his way to another decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the Fury's are now officially ducking this fight because Klitschko is taking them to court to try and force the rematch. If successful and they still don't come to the table Fury will be stripped and that opens the door to AJ or more likely David Haye in Germany again.

Something very strange in regards to Fury in all this and like Billy Jo Saunders he seems to have won the belts then gone about doing everything possible to hold on to them as long as possible without fighting. Doesn't reflect well on him considering he's still to answer on a doping allegation either.

• Like 1

I recorded the McGregor v Diaz UFC fight last night after all the media attention and hype after the first, what a load of rubbish.

McGregor was absolutely shot after 2 rounds and spent the next 2 rounds dancing with Diaz on the ropes.

Yes he got the decision and deserved the win, but a bit of blood and a couple of knock downs isnt going to covert me, poor sport.

Just a quick note also on Joe Joyce our super heavyweight Olympian who has just been robbed of gold. What a dignified respectful lad he is after that decision.

A credit to the sport.

• Like 2

I recorded the McGregor v Diaz UFC fight last night after all the media attention and hype after the first, what a load of rubbish.

McGregor was absolutely shot after 2 rounds and spent the next 2 rounds dancing with Diaz on the ropes.

Yes he got the decision and deserved the win, but a bit of blood and a couple of knock downs isnt going to covert me, poor sport.

Just a quick note also on Joe Joyce our super heavyweight Olympian who has just been robbed of gold. What a dignified respectful lad he is after that decision.

A credit to the sport.

Well said about Joyce Gav. A credit indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Brook v Golovkin. Bet your looking forward to that Tomps. Explain how Stub Hub works please when time allows.

I watched all Golovkins knockouts the other day. He lifts people off their feet. Clubbing power.

Brook is top drawer. But triple g is the same. Can Brook handle his power? Murray lasted till later rounds. I'm sticking to my guns and banking on him staying stood up. Brook on points.

When the fight was announced I could see only one winner and to be honest I still can only see one winner and thats Golovkin. The guy doesn't seem to have any weaknesses, you can try and out work him possibly, but Brook has no chance of doing that due to the weight difference in my opinion.

I remember going to watch Hatton fight Mayweather in Vegas, I was telling anyone that would listen when the fight was announced that Mayweather will win easily. I get to Vegas, saw the fans and the HBO build up to the fight and bumped my cash on Hatton :P

Think I'm getting caught up in the build up again, I now think Brook has a chance, when in reality he's a massive underdog for a reason, he's fighting possibly the best pound for pound fighter on the planet and GGG seems unbeatable at the moment.

I wish him well, really hope he wins, but I can't see it sadly, but like Khan he deserves much respect for stepping up for the big fight when he could just see out the rest of his career fighting nobodies and taking home the money

Edited by Gav

Good times following Hatton, bet that was a great trip. The build up to the Mayweather fight was good fun. I'd have bet on Hatton too for all the wrong reasons.

Thought Khan had a chance and would suprise a few. Badly mistaken.

This feels different even though Golovkin is better than Canello. Can't understand Brook taking the fight unless he believes he can beat up Golovkin. Brooks a winner and it's an interesting match up. Remember the full members cup, anythings possible.

COYB and Brook.

• Like 2

Brook v Golovkin. Bet your looking forward to that Tomps. Explain how Stub Hub works please when time allows.

I watched all Golovkins knockouts the other day. He lifts people off their feet. Clubbing power.

Brook is top drawer. But triple g is the same. Can Brook handle his power? Murray lasted till later rounds. I'm sticking to my guns and banking on him staying stood up. Brook on points.

Very much looking forwards to it yes and the prospect of a few more big fights this Autumn. Crolla, AJ, Fury, Klitschko all on the doorstep. Can't be bad and boxing provides a great respite to all things Rovers these days :)

On the fight I only saw one winner but a bit like Gav I started to get drawn into the Brook hype, a fighter I like and rate highly. The other night I watched on of those build up slots on Sky and Brook was eating his 3rd meal of the day and it was only 9.30 am, looked a bit chubby round the gills as well. Shades of Khan there desperately bulking up. Main thing for me though was the clip of sparring it showed between him and Smith.

Although he was landing some meaty shots it was clear from that brief bit Smith was picking him off to the body far to easily, something you can't allow GGG to do. Not sure I'd be showing that to my opponent so close to a fight but of course it could have been staged to give Golovkin the wrong idea I suppose. However it made mme think it could be a rather short and painful night for Kell.

Triple G nails him in 4 for me although he'll make a fight of it and might have his moments. As we've said before it only takes the main man to have an off night.

Stubhub is a bit of a Ticketmaster type thing but seems to be Hearns own private tout agency. It's advertised on his Matchroom website and you can always get tickets on there if your prepared to pay. Also if people have spares or unwanted tickets they'll punt them on for you so there is always a chance of the odd reasonably priced one. We paid twice face value plus 60 quid booking fee on there literally 5 mins after the tickets had gone on sale then amazingly sold out in 5 mins. With the best will in the world I don't know how you can shift 10k tickets in 5 mins unless huge blocks are going to ticket agencies.

I've a lot of time for Eddie Hearn as a prompter but this particular method stinks sadly but after trying the conventional route a few times in the past it was just easier to get them this way.

Very much looking forwards to it yes and the prospect of a few more big fights this Autumn. Crolla, AJ, Fury, Klitschko all on the doorstep. Can't be bad and boxing provides a great respite to all things Rovers these days :)

On the fight I only saw one winner but a bit like Gav I started to get drawn into the Brook hype, a fighter I like and rate highly. The other night I watched on of those build up slots on Sky and Brook was eating his 3rd meal of the day and it was only 9.30 am, looked a bit chubby round the gills as well. Shades of Khan there desperately bulking up. Main thing for me though was the clip of sparring it showed between him and Smith.

Although he was landing some meaty shots it was clear from that brief bit Smith was picking him off to the body far to easily, something you can't allow GGG to do. Not sure I'd be showing that to my opponent so close to a fight but of course it could have been staged to give Golovkin the wrong idea I suppose. However it made mme think it could be a rather short and painful night for Kell.

Triple G nails him in 4 for me although he'll make a fight of it and might have his moments. As we've said before it only takes the main man to have an off night.

Stubhub is a bit of a Ticketmaster type thing but seems to be Hearns own private tout agency. It's advertised on his Matchroom website and you can always get tickets on there if your prepared to pay. Also if people have spares or unwanted tickets they'll punt them on for you so there is always a chance of the odd reasonably priced one. We paid twice face value plus 60 quid booking fee on there literally 5 mins after the tickets had gone on sale then amazingly sold out in 5 mins. With the best will in the world I don't know how you can shift 10k tickets in 5 mins unless huge blocks are going to ticket agencies.

I've a lot of time for Eddie Hearn as a prompter but this particular method stinks sadly but after trying the conventional route a few times in the past it was just easier to get them this way.

Boxing is booming in the UK.

Genuinely believe that Brook has a very good chance and said so from day one. I am going to have a score on Brook inside four rounds.

Also saw him sparring Smith. I rate Smith and didn't see anything negative. Brook took a couple of shots to the body and got clipped on his chin as you say but came back with his own shots as well.

Seen a lot of complaints regarding Stub Hub and wondered how it worked.

The only thing I didn't like was the ease with which Smith pushed him away.

not looked but someone reckons fury fight tickets are stupid with nosebleeds at 150. God bless the streams.

Also available on you tube about 2 minutes after the final bell. Until it gets removed about an hour later.

I wouldn't buy tckts for the Fury fight he's still to explain himself to the peds investigators yet apparently.....

Funny old story all that Tomps. Irregularities spotted in Feb 2015. Investigation deferred to September / October of that year. Further delayed awaiting more tests allowing the Fury / Klitschko fight to go ahead. Details published in the Mirror or Sun in June 216. Fury threatened court action against the board. Further delayed until after the re-match.

Hughie Fury also under investigation.

• Like 1

Just caught up with the press conf for Brook and have to say i'm almost changing mind again. Triple G looks like he's coming in lighter than usual and he looked a bit bewildered by it all to be honest.

He'll never have experienced anything like the o2 so it'll be interesting to see how he handles it. Brook looked cool and calm so you never know.

I simply can't see it happening. He'll be absolutely sickened by the power. What GGG did to Martin Murray was frightening.

Can anybody more in the know than me explain the logic for sparring Liam Smith? Obviously he'll have been sparring others too but wouldn't it be better preparing for GGG by sparring super-middles? Or actually will Liam be at that kind of weight with a few weeks still to go before Canelo?

I simply can't see it happening. He'll be absolutely sickened by the power. What GGG did to Martin Murray was frightening.

Can anybody more in the know than me explain the logic for sparring Liam Smith? Obviously he'll have been sparring others too but wouldn't it be better preparing for GGG by sparring super-middles? Or actually will Liam be at that kind of weight with a few weeks still to go before Canelo?

You'd imagine Smith would be well over the catchment weight at this point even with 9 days to go. I've known pro boxers lose a stone in a week and add 4/5 pounds after the weigh in.

Long arms and a body puncher is Liam so it makes sense, I think it was only a one off spar so good for them both you'd think.

Edited by tomphil

Ok. So Abbey has had a sneaky bet, Gav and Tomphill are increasingly undecided. Brilliant! A proper fight at last.

Call me patriotric, or confused, or a wishful thinker, but Kell Brook will win tonight against all the odds.

I wanted Brook to beat Porter, Khan to beat Canello, Fury to beat Klitchko, AJ to beat Martin, Smith to beat Canello, Brook to beat Golovkin. Yes I want the Brits to win.

All you fence sitters will give me grief tomorrow if Brook gets bounced in 4. Well believe it or not and you can check back if you want but the only fight I have called incorrectly in over 12 months is Khan v Canello. Pity I am not a betting man!

Kell Brook - And the NEW.....,

• Moderation Lead

To be honest OOJW, it's great to see the views of more seasoned boxing fans from myself to pick up tidbits of knowledge for me. I've been watching a lot more boxing over the last couple of years and will always make an effort to watch fights now. Trying to shake off the 'casual boxing fan' label ;-)

• Like 1

My god, the lad gave it everything, the way GG walked him down and just smashed away at the body and head was scary.

Kel Brook like Khan before him deserve nothing but respect, great fight while it lasted, a throw back to the mid 90's when the British middleweights ruled boxing.

Any chance of Froch coming back to fight GGG ?

• Like 1

GGG's chin must be made of granite, he deliberately puts himself in harms way at times because he knows he can take it but then it also opens opportunities for him to use his ridiculous power. No wonder hardly anyone in the division wants to face him.

That crouched forward style, long extension and excellent follow through, great feet and movement, all with a fierce determination. Some fighter Triple G, but as you say his chin is absolutely top drawer.

Believed in Brook and thought he could pull it off. Proud he went out on his feet. Looked like he trained for power and hoped to knock Golovkin out.

Still IBF world champion at welterweight, but this now feels like a defining moment for Brook having championed the extra weight gain.

To be honest OOJW, it's great to see the views of more seasoned boxing fans from myself to pick up tidbits of knowledge for me. I've been watching a lot more boxing over the last couple of years and will always make an effort to watch fights now. Trying to shake off the 'casual boxing fan' label ;-)

A bit deceptive only following boxing on Sky Khod. You end up thinking only the Matchroom lads are any good or at a decent level. Loads of good boxers out there with limited opportunities.

Impressed with how boxing has gone to the fans via social media. Behind the scenes access and comment from the main players co-ordinated to benefit all. Football could learn a few pointers from boxing's current promotional strategy.

• Like 1