BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Smith didn't belong in there. I've never quite "got" Paul Smith - I don't see what he does particularly well. He's had his last chance at world glory last night and he did next to nothing.

The two world title fights in Vegas both ended in bizarre circumstances. FWIW, my viewpoint was exactly the same as Paulie's in both cases - the Mexican fella realised he was well out of his depth against Rigo and took a dive; and it's perplexing that Weeks didn't give Kov a 10 count. Ward was going to stop him, but now we're left wondering.

Also, I know that the rounds are close, but I just don't see how HBO and Rafael had Kov so far ahead. Rafael's scorecards often confuse me - I'm often wondering if we're watching the same fights.

Edited by bellamy11

The officials over there certainly have it in for Krusher that's for sure although he's now had 2 stabs at Ward and not been able to KO him so i'd move on if I were him.

As for Smith you can see now why he got that fight and why they wanted him it was all nicely set up to make their lad look good. Crafty matchmaking hoping to earn the German other title shots, he looks handy but Groves will smash him. Smith himself knew after a couple of rounds he could handle that lad so he just decided to plod and survive the 12 maybe hoping for a big punch but with no intention whatsoever of leaving it all in the ring in his last undeserved big fight. Just a nice paycheque for him and if he fights again I hope it's at a circus for charity or something the fat waster.

He was wiped out by Degale & Groves at British level I think years ago so that says all about his standing over here never mind at world level. If he's made any money out of boxing he's a very very fortunate guy.

Edited by tomphil

Former UFC fighter Tim Hague dies after boxing match

Ex-UFC fighter Tim Hague was knocked down five times in the first two rounds against fellow Canadian Adam Braidwood

FORMER UFC fighter turned boxer Tim Hague has died after being knocked out in a bout on Friday night.

The 34-year-old was knocked down five times in the first two rounds before his fight against fellow Canadian Adam Braidwood in Edmonton was stopped. Hague walked out of the ring under his own steam but was then taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

Continued: .http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/former-ufc-fighter-tim-hague-dies-after-boxing-match/

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, donnermeat said:

So then...how much of that was scripted last night? 

Also I don't know how that will go down with the IRS, Mayweather flaunting a $100 million cheque when he owes them $22 million, and asked for a reprieve til after this fight so he can pay.

Who cares! Brilliant viewing. 49-1!

• Like 1

Is there such a thing as a Yank boxer who's actually paid his tax ? :lol:

Floyd getting a few excuses in early, don't watch MMA or UFC etc so don't know much about CM. For the sake of boxing though I hope Mayweather mullers him lol

Must confess my cynicism has turned to excitement after the recent buildup. McGregor is in the Steve Kean League of cracking pressers.

I'm probably incredibly fickle and stupid, but he's almost got me believing he can pull it off.

Surely not...

3 hours ago, Batman. said:

Anyone seen the footage of McGregor sparring with the number 11 boxer in the IBF rankings?

This is all a money grab for sure, with back patting all around afterwards.

He doesn't have a cat in hell's chance.

To be fair, everyone has a punchers chance. 

• Like 1

Eubank Jr v Arthur Abraham last night. Was a really good workout for him. But Abraham had no intention of fighting him. Just stood still and took punches to his arms. The bloke's made of iron though! Most other fighters would have wilted more than once under some of the combinations Eubank threw at him. His hand speed is unreal. Needs to knock off the cocky showboating til the job is done though. A quicker opponent would've caught him at least a couple of times.

George Groves looked scared to death in the interview / face off afterwards. I think Eubank will have too much for him when they eventually meet. Should be a great fight!

Chris Eubank Jnr fought Arthur Abrahams last night on ITV ppv, he won a unanimous points decision and despite looking good he never really troubled Abrahams. I said earlier in this thread that I think he lacks power and last night hasn't changed my mind, he has all the shots in the book, but if you lack power you're going to struggle.

He now qualifies to fight in the world boxing series which sees 8 men fighting for a £40m prize fund, George Groves and Callum Smith are also involved.

As for McGregor v Mayweather - its a freak show, but a freak show that has captivated fans from around the world, and if makes money it makes sense.

McGregor should be nowhere near a boxing ring and Mayweather has made a complete mockery of the sport by ignoring legitimate challengers and getting in the ring with McGregor instead.

But I must admit, McGregor has had me laughing out loud in the press conferences, then cringing soon after, but its nothing but a freak show.

I don't think it will end in a straight knockout of for Mayweather, I think McGregor may well get himself disqualified and look for a re-match and another pot of gold.

Edited by Gav

Just now, Gav said:

Chris Eubank Jnr fought Arthur Abrahams last night on ITV ppv, he won a unanimous points decision and despite looking good he never really troubled Abrahams. I said earlier in this thread that I think he lacks power and last night hasn't changed my mind, he has all the shots in the book, but if you lack power you're going to struggle.

He now qualifies to fight in the world boxing series which sees 8 men fighting for a £40m prize fund, George Groves and Callum Smith are also involved.

As for McGregor v Mayweather - its a freak show, but a freak show that has captivated fans from around the world, and if makes money it makes sense.

McGregor should be nowhere near a boxing ring and Mayweather has made a complete mockery of the sport by ignoring legitimate challengers and getting in the ring with McGregor instead.

But I must admit, McGregor has had me laughing out loud in the press conferences, then cringing soon after, but its nothing but a freak show.

Eubank Jr needs to go back to middle weight for me. Just a complete lack of power at super. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Reidy You're a Star said:
Eubank Jr v Arthur Abraham last night. Was a really good workout for him. But Abraham had no intention of fighting him. Just stood still and took punches to his arms. The bloke's made of iron though! Most other fighters would have wilted more than once under some of the combinations Eubank threw at him. His hand speed is unreal. Needs to knock off the cocky showboating til the job is done though. A quicker opponent would've caught him at least a couple of times.

George Groves looked scared to death in the interview / face off afterwards. I think Eubank will have too much for him when they eventually meet. Should be a great fight!

That's Abraham for you he's nearly always been the same and has had a few decisions go his way rather surprisingly by just doing enough. Hard as nails though as you say.

Groves i'd like nothing more to see him spanked by Eubank jnr but as JB says he doesn't carry enough punch power at SMW and I think Groves has too much for him at the min, he's on top of his game now after going with Shane Mc.  Groves doesn't like big punchers or sustained pressure though so he might wilt if Eubank can keep on him relentlessly.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Pleased for Eubank Junior. Dominated the fight from start to finish and his willingness to throw punches was always going to be a problem for Abraham. Won all 12 rounds on one card and 10 on the other two. Not sure what Abraham was up to, struggled to make weight and then looked to survive presumably hoping Eubank would tire.

I wouldn't read too much into Eubanks punch power on this showing. Better boxers and harder punchers than Eubank have failed to put a dent in Abraham.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:08, tomphil said:

The fact so many are on here discussing it when other boxing matches go by every week with little or no mention shows what it's all about.  Its a farce but we'll all watch it.

Floyd will look to coast to a 12 round unanimous decision whilst McGregor will look to survive it, all friends at the end back slapping and praising each other and all well in the dollars whilst mug punters worldwide moan how @#/? it was.

By the way there is a REAL top boxing match this weekend involving arguably two pound for pound contenders = Ward v Kovalev !

Agree 100% with the Mayweather stuff.

I am a bit behind schedule, but Ward did a top job on Kovalev, who was found seriously wanting.

Moving on, two or three weeks after the Mayweather show there is a genuine boxing Mega Fight seemingly forgotten about in the excitement of MMA v Boxing. GGG v Canello. A fight I have looked forward to for a long time.

Kelly v Davies seems to have passed everyone's attention as well. Decent fighter Kelly, one to watch and it was pleasing to see Ohara Davies brought back down to earth.

Looking forward to the Super Middle Weight tournament and the Cruiserweight version of same is absolutely top notch with all the big boys (except Bellew) joining in.

• Like 2

I am loving the hype of the Mayweather v McGregor fight but only because I predict the actual fight will be a complete disappointment. It is reminding me of the old WWE promos with The Rock, Jericho, Austin, Mankind etc. They should both join the WWE because they're very good at sports entertainment :D

In all seriousness though, the actual art of boxing will be the loser on the night and the two fighters will walk away the winners with huge pay packets. The MMA fans will realise that McGregor is a poor boxer in comparison to boxers who have dedicated their entire lives to the sport and boxing fans will pray never to combine the two again. All the fans who have forked out all that money for PPV will probably feel a bit silly the next morning.

• Like 1

So Klitschko retires, right decision definitely you could see he put absolutely everything into that last fight as he surely would have done in the rematch with Fury. Such a shame he didn't get that opportunity as when he was prepared to go out on his shield instead of just try and do enough he was a hell of a fighter.

Modern era great and future hall of famer whatever you want to say about him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So the night of the big fight is finally here, I see It going something like this ...

Cleverly will take the fight to Jack and outbox him for 5 rounds maybe even hurting him a time or two but Jack will grind it out and come back strong and stop Nathan when the gas runs out in the later rounds.

:D

• Like 2

Cleverly / Jack fight much more interesting than  Rocky vs  Thunderlips. I expect a hard fought win in 6 or 7 rounds to Jack though.

On the exhibition fight, Mayweather should jab the @#/? out of him for him 5 or 6 rounds, to give people their money's worth, then lay him out.

Edited by Reidy You're a Star
  • Like 1

As a fan of boxing I want mayweather to wipe the floor with McGregor so the mma circus can pack up and leave town and no more hybrid fights happen. Even as a fan of the underdog and not a fan of Floyd will still begrudgingly route for him.

Half way through the fight are we to expect the lights to go out and the undertaker to appear in ring and tombstone mcgregor then choke slam mayweather. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 4