BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

As a fan of boxing I want mayweather to wipe the floor with McGregor so the mma circus can pack up and leave town and no more hybrid fights happen. Even as a fan of the underdog and not a fan of Floyd will still begrudgingly route for him.

Half way through the fight are we to expect the lights to go out and the undertaker to appear in ring and tombstone mcgregor then choke slam mayweather. 

Pretty much nails how I feel and god help us if Floyd has aged badly and McGregor connects with a big one given his size, think that'll go against him though and Mayweather should dance rings around him he'll be too big and slow.

Well the Jack/Clev prediction came right and a nice win for a legend in the other real boxing match, Miguel Cotto, shame it was overlooked for an exhibition bout.

Anyway hopefully that's the end of it CM comes out with a bit of respect he's a tough guy but in reality the things he thought would swing it in his favour, size, age, inactivity just bought him a few extra rounds nothing else.

No more crossovers now please, two great sports but very different they don't gel at all.

A lot of Boxing has become a bit too WWF for me these days. . . and some fights seem to be similarly as fixed.

Some of the pre match acting is the worst. You'd have thought with all the money flying around that they'd at least take some proper acting lessons.

• Like 1

Was watching an old HBO documentary last night centred around Mike Tysons comeback fight after the shock loss to Douglas.  Tyson was pleading for the rematch as was Don King plus there was a who ha about the long count Douglas received after Tyson decked him (14 secs) so they were trying to get that win overturned also one or two of the unified belts Douglas had ripped from Tysons grasp were refusing to acknowledge Buster because of the long count.

There was a public outcry and even Tyson to his credit told King to drop all that and Douglas was given his belts but Iron Mike was still pleading the rematch however unlike these days the Authorities ordered the mando who was Holyfield next and not only that the mando for another of the titles was Foreman who'd come back so that was next for the winner.

That's the way it should be and not even Don King nor Tysons mega drawing power could alter it but now there'd have been a rematch clause in the original contract and probably a rubber stamp one next had the score been evened.  SKY etc would have wielded their power for the biggest earning fight next no matter who deserved what even if there wasn't a rematch clause.

Like football,  money and tv control top level boxing these days and it's getting pathetic it'll blow itself out soon as I don't think it's as foolproof as the football bubble. There has been a series of daft or unfair fights made over the last 12 months just down to earning power and that 'event' last night which 10/15 years ago would have been billed as an exhibition match and treated as such just topped the lot, millions fooled by the hype and continuous in yer face marketing by Boxers on Sky who knew the score but tried to pretend different.

I don't think that's a one off I think it's the beginning of more farce when they see the figures.  So glad I didn't have any part of it by paying or even watching it !

Cotto on Boxnation did me just fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GGG vs Alvarez last night. Really good, hard fought fight. Both threw some real bombs that would've taken lesser men's heads off, but both stood up to it unscathed. GGG basically stalked him down and hounded him all fight with Canelo ducking and weaving and moving brilliantly, throwing a few of his own. One right hand came from his toes in the 10th (I think) that should've flattened Golovkin thrice over, but the man is made of iron!

Ended in a draw, but for me GGG should've won by 2 rounds. One of the judges ridiculously marked it 118/110 in favour of Alvarez and quite frankly must've had her seat facing away from the ring to come up with that result. Can't wait for the rematch!

Edited by Reidy You're a Star

A Mexican fighting in Vegas, however ridiculous the 118-110 score was, I can't say it surprised me.

A hard fight to score with GGG coming forward as he does and Canelo landing the cleaner, nastier shots, with a hint of round stealing. 

Can't remember what round it was, 9 or 10, when they were forehead to forehead, was just brilliant. Delighted I'll get to see it again.

Hope GGG goes for BJS next and doesn't take the Canelo rematch. Ridiculous that Golden Boy keep getting away with this judging, the only way to stop it is to not get involved with them despite the money on offer. For the record I scored it a draw at 114-114 with Canelo winning 1, 2, 3, 9, 11, 12. If I had to be pushed one way or another I'd go GGG and wouldn't have been astounded at a majority decision, but 10 rounds to 2 is madness. 

Looking forward to Hughie Fury versus Joseph Parker. Two young unbeaten heavyweights not afraid to take on a decent challenge to further their careers. Refreshing to see. I rate both Parker and Fury. Hard fight to call but I am edging towards Fury on a late stoppage, or points win. Both Fury's are very badly under-rated by most casual boxing fans, but they are big units with good footwork / skill sets and I think Hughie will be a right handful for Parker. Fury predicting the knock-out in round four.

Good to see Mcgregor bounced out of town with Mayweather simply walking him down and pushing him back. Mayweather probably used around 1/10th of his boxing ability in that fight, simply to give value to all those buying the event. Hope the cross over fights end there. How good is Mayweather? Absolutely dynamite! Watched all his fights and he has been head and shoulders above most others. An aging and retired Malinaggi would be a better fight against Mcgregor.

Good win for Callum Smith in the Super Series against a big unit, former light heavy weight. I think Groves and Eubank are in the other side of the draw so am expecting him in the final. Groves v Cox looks interesting, especially as Groves chose Cox for this fight. The Eubank fight looks interesting against some supposedly crazy Turkish mush.

Luke Campbell fighting Linares abroad in a tough looking fight. Linares has been down three times however and can be hurt around his whiskers. Hope Campbell pulls it off. I think I am correct in saying he is our most decorated amateur, ever. Decent fighter.

Cleverley was totally out gunned and out fought against Badou Jack. Whenever he moves up the levels he struggles. Time he wrapped up for me. 

Crolla v Burns - one of them will have to wrap up after a defeat. Another tough one to call but I am thinking Crolla on points.

Joshua v Pulav - having watched Pulav against Klitchko I can only see one winner here. Joshua sparking him out in 4 or 5.

Billie Joe Saunders looked much fitter and better in his last fight. No idea why the American did not let his hands go, but he looked emotionally very fragile in the build up and that may have played its part. BJS has no chance against GGG or Canello on that showing. Needs to up his game by 50% if getting in with those lads.

Wilder v Ortiz sounds interesting. Ortiz is older and that may play a part, but he is much more skilful than Windmill Wilder and I am hoping he wins as Wilder irritates cherry picking opponents and holding that belt hostage. Offered 3-4 million to fight Whyte (which he turned down) and taking less than a mill for the Ortiz fight apparently. 

Need the big fella back asap in that heavyweight division. Absolute disgrace what UKAD and the British Boxing Board of Control have done to Tyson Fury. Nearly two years in limbo on a PEDS charge? Two years to reach a conclusion? Effing ridiculous and something does not add up. Still fancy him to outbox all the other pretenders / challengers pretty easily including AJ.

Good times for UK boxing. A couple of very good fighters in Yarde and Dubopis signed for Warren. Yarde looks massive at the weight.

Wish I had this much enthusiasm for the football. Someone let me know when Venkys have gone and we can give Southend or Doncaster or Wimbledon a game.

19 hours ago, J*B said:

Big ask coming up two weight classes. 

That's true and I can't really see him toppling Lomachenko but I'm just glad it's happening after all the talk of the past couple of years. Mind you I'm saying that, look at what happened to Chocolatito! I didn't see that coming, for me he won their first fight but he was being soundly beaten in the rematch before the finish.

Disappointed for and in Hughie Fury. Fought on the back foot for 12 rounds giving Parker the initiative and did not let his hands go anywhere near enough. Every time he threw the straight right he connected but it took him till the 6th round to throw any! I had Parker winning by 2 rounds 6-4 with two drawn. How two judges saw it 10-2 to Parker 118-110, I have no idea. I think a move to a different way of scoring should be considered. Maybe 5 judges?

Shame for Campbell against Linares. Unbeknown to me Campbell's father died two weeks ago and he was very emotional post fight. Creid to the lad for putting up a very good show in such circumstances. Again fought on the back foot too much however and paid the price against a good quality champion. 

Fury's - way overated pillowfisters - victims, conspiracies etc etc. Boring negative fighters.

Bunch of absolute clowns the lot of em !  Have you seen the state of that big goon now ?  Looks like Foreman did when he was 48 not 28 :lol:

No license doesn't stop you training, no excuses he's an embarrassment to the sport as are his gobshite think they know it all, boxing owes them family.!!!!!!!!1

On a serious note if I was that pair i'd take off to America and get away from the family and the stink they carry round. Get in a gym over there with a roughhouse trainer and learn the art of fighting to go with that backwards motion they have and gigantic reach.  Both have the size and footwork but need more imo, forget the lineal champ rubbish he only proved he could outhustle a very subdued 39 year old champ in a one off fight. A guy who ultimately ended up battered in his next fight because quite simply his time was coming to an end and in both his last fights although contrasting performances it was clear he was out of steam after halfway, it's called age.

They need a rethink because at this moment ones career is over and the others imo could go backwards before it's really got going. 

You call the art of hitting without being hit, dancing. Others know it as boxing.You are a tad dramatic when it comes to the Fury clan Tomps.

For me, Fury summed it up the best.

"Joshua just had life and death with Klitchko after getting up off the canvas, whilst Klitchko couldn't did not lay a glove on me for 12 rounds."

Sums things up nicely for me.

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

5 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

You call the art of hitting without being hit, dancing. Others know it as boxing.You are a tad dramatic when it comes to the Fury clan Tomps.

For me, Fury summed it up the best.

"Joshua just had life and death with Klitchko after getting up off the canvas, whilst Klitchko couldn't did not lay a glove on me for 12 rounds."

Sums things up nicely for me.

Can't stand em pal i'll make no bones about it.

As for the Joshua comments come on OOJW if you are a boxing fan you'll appreciate the completely different approach by Klitschko in both those fights he was prepared to go out on his shield in the last fight and in front of him he had someone who goes head hunting not running.

Hit and not get hit is the name of the game but you have to actually hit not flick your paw into thin air or bounce the underside of your glove off the top pf the head if you want to gain points or break down your opponent.  Difference with Tyson is he can switch hit round the earoles as he's going backwards or slipping a predictable shot, Hughie didn't.

Fury as he was v Wlad & AJ is a 50/50 fight but it's naïve to think Joshua wouldn't pin him down and land he would and it's a case of what happens then particularly after 5/6 rounds.

We can forget it though it's not happening big Tyson despite his words to the contrary will never be in that shape again, end of because deep down he doesn't really want it.

For every bit I might be dramatic where the Furys are concerned you are blinkered pal :lol:

Edited by tomphil

18 hours ago, tomphil said:

Can't stand em pal i'll make no bones about it.

As for the Joshua comments come on OOJW if you are a boxing fan you'll appreciate the completely different approach by Klitschko in both those fights he was prepared to go out on his shield in the last fight and in front of him he had someone who goes head hunting not running.

Hit and not get hit is the name of the game but you have to actually hit not flick your paw into thin air or bounce the underside of your glove off the top pf the head if you want to gain points or break down your opponent.  Difference with Tyson is he can switch hit round the earoles as he's going backwards or slipping a predictable shot, Hughie didn't.

Fury as he was v Wlad & AJ is a 50/50 fight but it's naïve to think Joshua wouldn't pin him down and land he would and it's a case of what happens then particularly after 5/6 rounds.

We can forget it though it's not happening big Tyson despite his words to the contrary will never be in that shape again, end of because deep down he doesn't really want it.

For every bit I might be dramatic where the Furys are concerned you are blinkered pal :lol:

Blinkered? I predicted Fury would beat Klitchko. Those predicting he would get hammered were the gormless folk. Klitchko was frightened to death getting in that ring, job done by Fury pre-fight-night. 

Undefeated heavyweight, 6 foot 9 and 18.5 stone when fighting. A right handful for ALL and sundry even your poster boy.

If you are a boxing fan, apply some balance as it will help you work some of this out yourself. 

44 minutes ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Blinkered? I predicted Fury would beat Klitchko. Those predicting he would get hammered were the gormless folk. Klitchko was frightened to death getting in that ring, job done by Fury pre-fight-night. 

Undefeated heavyweight, 6 foot 9 and 18.5 stone when fighting. A right handful for ALL and sundry even your poster boy.

If you are a boxing fan, apply some balance as it will help you work some of this out yourself. 

Dragging up Joshua again because he's everything your fat clown isn't i'm amazed you haven't thrown out the 'casual' term as well :lol:

I'm hardly of an age to be having a poster boy and as for balance I said I wouldn't be surprised if Fury beat Wlad as he's a giant and he'd never faced anything like that plus he was at that point in a long hard career THIRTY NINE YEARS OLD.  They all run out of steam eventually but I gave credit to Fury he got the job done.

All this would've, could've, should've is irrelevant the fact is he's one a off joining a long list of one offs who in the grand scheme of things were no great shakes apart from one great career performance. (beating Chisora isn't a marker of greatness either :rolleyes:) Undefeated, jesus he's only had 2 real fights !

After that well he's blown it hasn't he so we'll never know but it's painful reading him running his mouth off from behind his keyboard and his belly and his followers who should know better swallowing every bit of garbage him and his family come out with.

I'm done this subject, your welcome to him and his victim playing drug snorting/dealing collection of scumbags.

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 12:05, tomphil said:

Dragging up Joshua again because he's everything your fat clown isn't i'm amazed you haven't thrown out the 'casual' term as well :lol:

I'm hardly of an age to be having a poster boy and as for balance I said I wouldn't be surprised if Fury beat Wlad as he's a giant and he'd never faced anything like that plus he was at that point in a long hard career THIRTY NINE YEARS OLD.  They all run out of steam eventually but I gave credit to Fury he got the job done.

All this would've, could've, should've is irrelevant the fact is he's one a off joining a long list of one offs who in the grand scheme of things were no great shakes apart from one great career performance. (beating Chisora isn't a marker of greatness either :rolleyes:) Undefeated, jesus he's only had 2 real fights !

After that well he's blown it hasn't he so we'll never know but it's painful reading him running his mouth off from behind his keyboard and his belly and his followers who should know better swallowing every bit of garbage him and his family come out with.

I'm done this subject, your welcome to him and his victim playing drug snorting/dealing collection of scumbags.

That is the thing Tomps. Fury hasn't even been convicted of a driving offence and you are going to look a tad silly if he is cleared of this PEDS charge. Joshua has been convicted of drug dealing, Mayweather wife beating, Marsh attempted murder, Mike Tyson rape and actual bodily harm, and all Tyson Fury has done is shout his mouth off. Behaviour hardly uncommon in boxing. 

Joshua fought Klitchko when he was 41 :) a fight recently voted fight of the year! Does that fight not count against a geriatric? Joshua has only had one fight by your logic, unless you rated Charles Martin, Breazeale, or a fat Dillian Whyte. Not that I agree with your reasoning. Rarely, if ever, do you get to mandatory for any belt after only two pro-fights.

I appreciate it irritates that Fury schooled Klitchko so easily, who then showed two years later that he was far from finished when he fought Joshua. Like I say, for me that performance clearly demonstrated he was head and shoulders above the rest.

Anyways, pleased for Masha Dodds and Rocky Fielding. Thought Ohara Davies recovered well after a bad defeat last time out.

33 minutes ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

That is the thing Tomps. Fury hasn't even been convicted of a driving offence and you are going to look a tad silly if he is cleared of this PEDS charge. Joshua has been convicted of drug dealing, Mayweather wife beating, Marsh attempted murder, Mike Tyson rape and actual bodily harm, and all Tyson Fury has done is shout his mouth off. Behaviour hardly uncommon in boxing. 

Joshua fought Klitchko when he was 41 :) a fight recently voted fight of the year! Does that fight not count against a geriatric? Joshua has only had one fight by your logic, unless you rated Charles Martin, Breazeale, or a fat Dillian Whyte. Not that I agree with your reasoning. Rarely, if ever, do you get to mandatory for any belt after only two pro-fights.

I appreciate it irritates that Fury schooled Klitchko so easily, who then showed two years later that he was far from finished when he fought Joshua. Like I say, for me that performance clearly demonstrated he was head and shoulders above the rest.

Anyways, pleased for Masha Dodds and Rocky Fielding. Thought Ohara Davies recovered well after a bad defeat last time out.

Grow up ffs  how am I going to look silly Fury has made an ass of himself time and time again an embarrassment to himself and the sport. He ran away (literally) from the rematches and everything he does now goes against him wanting to fight again despite the clap trap he comes out with. He was trying to call himself the baddest man on the planet not long ago, ha he wouldn't have lasted two days in the real Tysons world. Guys a cartoon character.

He like you will be saying the same thing in 5 years and living off the back that fight forever. If you a grown man want to continue to buy into his nonsense that's up to you. We had a similar convo, disagreement about 12 months ago where you told me he was training and looking better, I told you no he wasn't and I told you he won't fight again, he's gone in the head and his heart went first.

As for the PEDS the Furys themselves have caused several delays to that the latest being they asked for some evidence to be discounted, before that they wanted time to submit their own evidence and before that the big guy was ducking his drug tests and threatening the random testers who turned up.  Not exactly the right way to go about it is it ?

It's all a shame because if he'd continued after he out hustled a flat footed Wlad (schooled :lol::lol::lol:) we'd know by now just what he was really about and i'd stake my house on someone having poleaxed him, maybe not one of the other big guys either.

Anyway we'll never agree on him so i'm not falling out and despite all the rants i'd prefer to see him fit and well and in the ring but I just can't stand the guy and his crew, never have never will and that goes back to before Joshua appeared on the scene he's nowt to do with it I just despair the state of the game at HW level now where you have a few limited giants (inc the pikeys) and then a massive void, no one to test them unless they fight each other.

Oh by the way Whyte beat Chisora who Fury beat & AJ KOed him, just like he KOed Wlad which Fury didn't, yeah he took a dip but so what he got up and came back, proper fighter that lad ;)

As long as they keep the other Joshua away from him !!!!

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Grow up ffs  how am I going to look silly Fury has made an ass of himself time and time again an embarrassment to himself and the sport. He ran away (literally) from the rematches and everything he does now goes against him wanting to fight again despite the clap trap he comes out with. He was trying to call himself the baddest man on the planet not long ago, ha he wouldn't have lasted two days in the real Tysons world. Guys a cartoon character.

He like you will be saying the same thing in 5 years and living off the back that fight forever. If you a grown man want to continue to buy into his nonsense that's up to you. We had a similar convo, disagreement about 12 months ago where you told me he was training and looking better, I told you no he wasn't and I told you he won't fight again, he's gone in the head and his heart went first.

As for the PEDS the Furys themselves have caused several delays to that the latest being they asked for some evidence to be discounted, before that they wanted time to submit their own evidence and before that the big guy was ducking his drug tests and threatening the random testers who turned up.  Not exactly the right way to go about it is it ?

It's all a shame because if he'd continued after he out hustled a flat footed Wlad (schooled :lol::lol::lol:) we'd know by now just what he was really about and i'd stake my house on someone having poleaxed him, maybe not one of the other big guys either.

Sorry to mention Joshua's drug dealing past, magically airbrushed from history now.

Will I suddenly be grown up if I agree with you? If Fury is guilty as charged, why has he not been banned two years later? You are annoyed he is trying to defend himself? Hughie was supposedly up for the same problem, but I am sure I watched him fight recently. How is that?

Flat footed, THIRTY NINE YEARS OLD, run out of steam, ok pal if you say so. No wonder he dodged Fury for years.

I think you should watch the Fury v Klitchko fight again. This time without the tinted sunglasses. Then watch how Joshua laboured against the same guy when was two years older and even MORE flat footed. 

Then ask yourself, how exactly did a useless Fury do that to a ten year reigning SUPER champion. When you have worked it out, we can have an interesting debate. Maybe, just maybe, he is not as @#/? as you believe.

You are however quite right and it is a shame. Joshua and Parker picked the belts up out of the dustbin, all because Fury did what NO other could do and totally embarrassed Klitchko, AWAY from home. Not in London, just round the corner from home, with 80,000 cheering him on. By Fury's own admission he could fight much better than he showed against Klitchko.

Windmill Wilder, drug cheat Ortiz, drug dealing Joshua, Joseph Parker. Stiverne? Breazeale? Pulev? Whyte? Miller? Browne? Price? Dubois? You would certainly lose your house thinking any of the above would beat a fit Tyson Fury.

Poleaxed? By who? A small guy, what, like Cunningham? Watch the fight, he eventually got smashed all over the place.

He is head and shoulders above the lot of them, hence doing what none of them could do and the sooner he is back the better. What cannot speak, cannot lie. He is undefeated for a reason. We just differ what that reason is. 

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

I'm sure your his brother or something you get the hump easy when a few facts are pointed out :lol:

Cunningham had lost THREE of his 4 fights previous to the Fury one, I think even Prince Charles or Brezeale would have done for him pal.

Never mind keep dragging Joshua into it I couldn't care less if he laboured your too blinkered to acknowledge he's a completely different kind of fighter who's deceptively quick when he launches some attacks and is quick to pin down his opponent when he chooses in between his 'labouring' perhaps just perhaps that's his style.

Survival first box counter off the back foot second is the Peter Fury way and whilst it might get some good results it won't get you through a career. What's the big deal about being unbeaten anyway ?  Does that automatically make you a modern day great if you only have ONE name on your record, is that enough to retire and live off the back of forever ?

He is undefeated for a reason your right it's because aside from 1 top fighter he's fought no one and you can't get beaten if you never effin fight can you, he knows that damn well !

Anyway turn it in now your out of legs to stand on and it's a bit boring just like the Fury's who couldn't sell out a phone box between them !

Edited by tomphil