BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I'm sure your his brother or something you get the hump easy when a few facts are pointed out :lol:

Cunningham had lost THREE of his 4 fights previous to the Fury one, I think even Prince Charles or Brezeale would have done for him pal.

Never mind keep dragging Joshua into it I couldn't care less if he laboured your too blinkered to acknowledge he's a completely different kind of fighter who's deceptively quick when he launches some attacks and is quick to pin down his opponent when he chooses in between his 'labouring' perhaps just perhaps that's his style.

Survival first box counter off the back foot second is the Peter Fury way and whilst it might get some good results it won't get you through a career. What's the big deal about being unbeaten anyway ?  Does that automatically make you a modern day great if you only have ONE name on your record, is that enough to retire and live off the back of forever ?

He is undefeated for a reason your right it's because aside from 1 top fighter he's fought no one and you can't get beaten if you never effin fight can you, he knows that damn well !

Anyway turn it in now your out of legs to stand on and it's a bit boring just like the Fury's who couldn't sell out a phone box between them !

Ok pal. I think you are being a bit of a cry baby regarding the Fury's in general and it has little or nothing to do with the boxing. Embarrassment to the sport etc. Maybe he should beat up his wife, or sell some Charlie for universal acclaim.

Of course it is boring. Lineal champ, undisputed number one, the man who beat the man, yet in your reality he is totally useless and only ever had ONE fight. Dynamite.

Just now, onlyonejackwalker said:

:) Believe it or not we get on fine.

I'd win in the ring anyway. I'd jab his head off just like the Gypsy King.

Then you'd duck the rematch, retire and boast about it for the next 20 years whilst resembling a demented hippo on legs :P

• Like 3

Bunce nailed it tonight, what works against one man at HW won't always work against another it doesn't happen like that. Highlighting Norton beating Ali then Foreman beating Norton and so on.

Beating the man doesn't make you the man you've got to beat the rest as well to be known as the man all the best did that to earn their status and all the greats lost at one time or another and came back.

Beating the man makes you the man of the 'moment' nothing more and those moments pass.

Edited by tomphil

• 2 weeks later...

Could be real tricky this for Joshua although having already got tickets i think it might make for a more exciting fight than Pulev plus he's IBF no 3 contender so it's fair enough. Looking forwards to it now whereas before i was expecting a bit of a grind.

Must've been a few question marks around Pulev seeing as they've had this guy on standby in full training since the original fight was announced. They don't call him fast Eddie for nothing ;)

Buster Douglas was a 42-1 underdog when he shocked the world v Tyson so this guy must be worth a punt although the odds won't be that long. Joshua always prepares meticulously although since Wlad he's been popping up at awards, on the social and TV circuit quite a bit so you never know.

Mike Tyson on the other hand was flying back to the US from his Tokyo training base to shag his favourite hooker and visit his favourite night club a few weeks before the fight after his head had gone into full on meltdown. Press these days would've been all over that and Busters odds would've been a lot less plus he had a great left jab and looked as if he was building a decent CV which went right over the bookies and most pundits heads it seems.

I think AJ will be a little less wild in his private life lol but you never know with HW's. Could be an earner.

• 2 weeks later...

Much better fight than I expected despite AJ not really looking at his destructive best in my opinion. Big respect to Takam who did not deserve to have the fight stopped in my opinion. He battled well and while he never looked like he would win, gave AJ a few problems here and there. I heard he was ranked number 3 in the world by one of the bodies, which if true, means AJ should be dominating the HW division for many years to come.

Bring on WIlder.

The ref stepped in 1 punch too early last night. Takam was being pummelled at the time,wasn't really defending himself, but was standing. 

AJ should thank the guy, he will have learnt a lot in the ring last night. Takam never looked like winning or hurting Joshua, but he was a puzzle Joshua really struggled with, and I think he wanted to be the first to take AN the distance. 

Joshua needs to drop a bit of bulk imo and come in around 17.5 he always looks ready to gas midfight and people are cottoning on now although I know he was preparing was the much bigger Pulev but he put weight ON in the final week.

Thought he fought the right way though if a bit sluggish by his usual standards, real tough opponent but he's operating at top level now so these are the tests and he was probably the best guy he's fought up to now Klitschko aside. Lessons learned from the likes of Lewis and Wlad who slipped up badly early career against these types going looking to just blow them away.

Fair play to Takam the HW division needs guys like that and he probably did deserve to go out on his shield and I did get the impression the ref was looking all night to protect the homeboy once his hooter was bust. Unlikely he would have seen the final bell though but it robbed us paying punters of a final few exciting mins as he would have gone down swinging so you never know.

18 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I heard he was ranked number 3 in the world by one of the bodies, which if true, means AJ should be dominating the HW division for many years to come.

Suppose you can only beat what is in front of you but by God,that for me is one damming statement on the poor quality of Heavyweight Boxing at present.

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Suppose you can only beat what is in front of you but by God,that for me is one damming statement on the poor quality of Heavyweight Boxing at present.

Your right about lack of depth of real quality in the HW div compared to previous generations, there's been a void of a real good pool of heavies for over a decade now. These days the top guys are absolute giants though following on from the marker set down by the Klitschko brothers so unless they fight each other you won't often get good technical boxing matches.

Fury struggled plenty times with much smaller very limited bar room brawlers but looked good v Wlad as did AJ. Smaller brawlers will always cause these guys probs and make it uneasy on the eye but they'll usually come up short. To be the boss you have to beat all types of shapes sizes and styles.

Iron Mike in his pomp thrived and taking bigger guys out for fun his unique style was tailor made for it and he'd probably have mown down any of these lot when he was at his vicious best, he had probs with guys similar size and strength to him like Douglas and Holyfield were his bob and weave couldn't really work the angles the same as with bigger guys so he just slugged but his short arms meant he fell short whilst getting tagged himself. The Klitchkos on the other hand reversed that and figured out a style to beat everyone because nearly all were much smaller but had probs with big guys like themselves.

All about styles and fights but Joshua can box he picked his shots quite well at times last night although he still needs to get rid of some rawness.

6 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Tyson in his pomp would have knocked out Joshua first round.

It's early in his career but he appears to me more of a Bar Room Brawler who uses his size more than any technical Boxing ability imo.

Jury out on this fella for me.

Ridiculous post. Just one uneducated opinion based on absolutely nothing.  

Classic example last night of why Wilder has held on to that WBC belt, tough oppo gets pulled out on him yet again so he gets fed an unfit bum who he's already beaten coming in for a pay cheque.

No doubting the guy has lead in his fists and is seriously quick but someone somewhere is going to hit him back one day. Contrast to Joshua who after what should be a difficult opponent pulls out he get's the IBF no 3 stepping in who's been training as back up since the original fight was announced not just coming off his sofa at 12 days notice as some would make believe.

WBC is the top belt but rankings and officials are a farce it was the same in the 90's. They must've been gutted when Vitali had that strap well away from the USA but now it's back they'll not let it go easy. He won't come over here to defend it just like he swerved the Klitschko bros in Germany despite the belts being over there.

Edited by tomphil

On 05/11/2017 at 16:49, tomphil said:

Classic example last night of why Wilder has held on to that WBC belt, tough oppo gets pulled out on him yet again so he gets fed an unfit bum who he's already beaten coming in for a pay cheque.

No doubting the guy has lead in his fists and is seriously quick but someone somewhere is going to hit him back one day. Contrast to Joshua who after what should be a difficult opponent pulls out he get's the IBF no 3 stepping in who's been training as back up since the original fight was announced not just coming off his sofa at 12 days notice as some would make believe.

WBC is the top belt but rankings and officials are a farce it was the same in the 90's. They must've been gutted when Vitali had that strap well away from the USA but now it's back they'll not let it go easy. He won't come over here to defend it just like he swerved the Klitschko bros in Germany despite the belts being over there.

I can't believe that the WBC have sanctioned Breazeale vs Molina (thats rank #6 vs #12) for the mandatory. Incredible that its been allowed and no wonder Hearn and Whyte (#3 - only behind Ortiz who is a proven drugs cheat and banned - which is another story) are pissed off. 

The UFC will continue to rise where, other than McGregor and GSP are forced to fight each other or give up the belts, until boxing catches up.

Wilders talking nonsense they offered him 4 million a career highest purse or something to come here and fight Dillian Whyte a fight he should be all over and he didn't want to know. That would have raised his profile over here and in Europe and got the winner a guaranteed shot at Joshua should he still be unbeaten yet he's papping on oh AJ has to come to the USA to be recognised as the real champ.

Total bull the UK is now widely recognised as the home of HW boxing the US has been out of that for about 15 years after the last great generation got old and the Klitschkos and some other Eastern Europeans took over. Wilder is running scared all the onus is on him he's untested against the divisions best, has been steered very skilfully around fights and is unknown and unappreciated largely in his home country despite his spectacular record because the majority of his opponents are club fighters.

IMO he's good and has nothing to fear it's a 50/50 fight all day long but he simply has to come to Joshua not the other way around because AJ holds all the cards and most of the other coveted belts and England has Wembley and 90k fans waiting.

1 belt against 3 must count for something. Like you say the heavyweight division has been dominated by Europe for years. Haye, the Klitschko brothers, Valuev, and so on. I think Wilder is trying to engineer the fight to a place his fixers can pick their ideàl judges and crowd. A bit like how Mayweather didn't fight Manny P until the latter was in decline.

• Like 1