BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

She seems to just be a puncher who's fitness levels were put into question when she didn't flatten her oppo in the first 60 secs. Either that or she took her eye off the ball after thinking she's the best thing since sliced bread.

Got to give credit to Holm though, she's a talented fighter who's proved to be the real deal.

Edited by tomphil

David Haye coming back and is training with the Mcguigans. Not sure if it's a good idea as he's been out a long time and the heavys are getting bigger but if he's retained most of his ability and is fit and hungry then he's still one of the best we've got.

David Haye coming back and is training with the Mcguigans. Not sure if it's a good idea as he's been out a long time and the heavys are getting bigger but if he's retained most of his ability and is fit and hungry then he's still one of the best we've got.

Agreed. Watched every one of his fights. One of my favourites for years.

Shame he's gone down the total twohat route for as long as I can remember.

They are talking of him fighting the winner of Whyte / Joshua. He doesn't balloon between fights. Looks in good nick. There's no problem with his skills, just needs to rediscover some passion for the sport and his fighting heart.

Hope Crolla wins.

It's a funny one with Haye, I believe his shoulder injury was genuine but I wasn't convinced with the cut eye thing. I do fear he might be coming back because he needs the cash as he was involved in some foreign property thing that hit problems. That's why I think he'll just try to jump into big fights rather than work his way back in.

Haye was embarrassing against Klitchko, hype hype and more hype, money money and more money being his motivation, a fraud in my opinion.

Bit harsh maybe but I felt so let down by him after all the talk before the Klitchko fight.

Give me Carl Froch any day of the week.

I just cannot take to Fury at all, he's part playing up creating a character for himself and he's part idiot. If he wins and he might then i'll be the first to congratulate him but then i'll be waiting for him to get ironed out by someone else.

I've a lot of time for the Klitschko's although yes they are boring and recently haven't had very credible challengers but you don't do what they've done without being a bit talented. Fury's nonsense reminds me so much of the crap Groves came out with before Froch and when you look at his record and opponents I don't really know how anyone can take him seriously but you never know.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

boxing thread and no mention of the Million Dollar Crolla?

Silence broken to pay homage to such a magnifcent fighter and a true warrior like showing on saturday night and rightly winning this time in the rematch. As for Fury i hope he gets sparked out big time. Will find a stream as i refuse to money in his grubby pockets.

• Moderation Lead

I'm out in Preston when the fight's on, so will find a bar after I've had something to eat! Watched the boxing (Khan) when out in Preston before incidentally!

Hopefully Fury gets his massive gob slammed shut via Klitchko's fist.

Great stuff by Crolla, amazing after what he went through. Still a very talented boxer and bigger things await. Shame for Murray again as if it wasn't for the point deduction I think it was a draw. Not difficult to see who the bent judge was in that one, scoring such a wide margin just in case.

I'd like to see him fight Groves next and finish the twerp as a credible contender then maybe get one last shot himself on home soil. He deserves it.

Very pleased for Crolla. He has shown massive improvement over the last three years. The lads in the Gallagher stable are driving each other on.

Shame for Murray. Held on far too much however and a lack of power against a good champion didn't help. You have to rip titles away on foreign soil.

Nothing against Klitchko, but think I'll support the local lad. Interesting that such an underdog has got everyone thinking he's half a chance. Hope he pulls it off. Have never seen him looking as good.

Murray was fighting a German in Germany, so no doubt it was bent. That's how Sven Ottke kept his title for so long.

Hard to argue on the Ottke point but I've always thought slagging off German judging to be a tad rich and based on a few examples (most notably Ottke). Some pretty "ropey" scorecards and stoppages happen everywhere, not least Britain. Can't say I watch any domestic German boxing though, so perhaps I'm well out there.

As for Saturday night, I had Abraham clearly ahead of Murray. Martin had once chance when he buzzed him in the eighth round, but when he couldn't finish him there and then the writing was on the wall. B+ fighter for me - not top level but there are world champions out there in other weight classes who aren't as good as him.

Anybody watch Cotto/Canelo? I scored the fight pretty much same as the judges (i.e. about 117-111) and was surprised at the furore over the width of the scores (though this was Boxnation). Felt as though the fact that Cotto is a bit of a legend and seemingly a cool guy was clouding judgement. It was hard to definitely give him any one round.

Cotto is now the classic ageing warrior struggling to mix it with the feisty young guns. Must admit I thought his time was up a while back and this fight went just like I thought it would. He would still be ok with slower fighters or older ones but he shouldn't bother mixing it with the young lions, unless he needs the cash.

2 or 3 years ago it would have been far more even and at their peaks I'd take Cotto to win. Just goes to show again how good Mayweather is as he strolled past Cotto when he was a lot fresher and he made Canello look a bit of an over hype job.

Cotto is now the classic ageing warrior struggling to mix it with the feisty young guns. Must admit I thought his time was up a while back and this fight went just like I thought it would. He would still be ok with slower fighters or older ones but he shouldn't bother mixing it with the young lions, unless he needs the cash.

2 or 3 years ago it would have been far more even and at their peaks I'd take Cotto to win. Just goes to show again how good Mayweather is as he strolled past Cotto when he was a lot fresher and he made Canello look a bit of an over hype job.

Cotto was small at the weight. Canello massive. Maybe as many as 15 pounds heavier by the time the first bell went. Cotto's punches just bounced off him. Little difference in their skill levels, just a lack of power prevented Cotto making any positive strides forward.

Soon find out whether Fury is simply good at talking the talk, or can actually walk the walk. I'm quietly confident in him, but realise he is the underdog and fgew agree. Would be great for UK boxing if he could win, especially with Whyte, Joshua and now Haye all milling about as well. Would certainly propel Hennessey into the big time as promoter of a three belt champion.

Pulled out because this fight came up, he's a Russian citizen now and promoting boxing over there where he is probably still thought of as a major force seeing as they're always behind the times.

Not even sure it's money with him I think he just craves the limelight again after his top class career all but ended years ago. So sad to see him beaten by one or two who wouldn't even have been good enough to sparr with him in his pomp. He says he's going to keep going until he wins a proper version of the cruiserweight world title but I really think Enzo Mc will beat him pretty painfully.

Edited by tomphil

I'm stunned. But fury deserved it. Don't like the man but his batman, watermelon, singing antics have been entertaining. Klitschko has dominated a very poor era making the heavyweight division tedious but now with deontay wilder and Joshua in the wings could be an exiting time.