BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Guest Norbert

Nah that tosser Mayweather. He had taken his work home if you know what I mean. And he's managed to delay/stop his prison sentence so he could fight and make Las Vegas money with that fight.

• 10 months later...

Pacquiao Mayweather fight is on. 2 May, 2015.

I fancied going over, not to actually get into MGM Grand as you'd have no chance, but just to enjoy the atmosphere, nothing like Vegas leading up to a massive fight. But the flights have gone through the roof, over £1000 now and the hotel rooms are obviously expensive, so I'm giving it a miss.

Edited by GAV

On the old BBC 606 boards, there were some real experts at boxing, history, best boxers ever, hardest hitters, etc. it was a very good discussion and probably better in ways to a dedicated boxing forum not that I've ever really looked into those. When it comes to boxing, I'll usually just listen or read.

-----------

The Australian Boxer Braydon Smith has passed away after a fight. My condolences. He must have really been in some very light weight boxing class, perhaps featherweight.

http://sports.inquirer.net/175926/australian-boxer-brayd-smith-dies

MANILA, Philippines — Australian boxer Braydon Smith passed away on Monday (Manila time) after suffering head injuries in a loss to Filipino opponent John Moralde. He was 23.

Smith reportedly collapsed hours after his 10-round bout against Moralde at Rumours International in Australia. He was in life support and was reportedly placed into an induced coma when he was in Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Back to the Pacquiao Mayweather fight; there is no shortage of news articles dealing with the upcoming event like this one: http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/03/roach-will-be-pacquiaos-achilles-heel-for-may-2-showdown-with-mayweather/
Seems to me, boxing matches are usually scheduled some time in advance, this fight seemed like it was scheduled about 45 days before the event. That seems a shorter time than usual.

• Moderation Lead

Just seen the PPV prices in USA $99.50!

Well I for one wont be paying that if its that here. When will it be announced who has it?

Will be on Sky Box Office I suspect, and I reckon it will be more than usual (roughly £20-£25) to help pay their purses....

Still though, outrageous, and most folk will look for a stream!!

• Moderation Lead

Rumours going around that Mayweather got ko'd in sparring today, then got up and beat the perpetrator to a bloody pulp!

In nicer news, apparently a lad from Chorley is going to be sparring with him soon, as he's a southpaw like Pacquiao.

Just watched Kel Brook put in a great performance against Jo Jo Dan.

He looks the real deal, be interesting to see if Khan fancies a big payday to fight him at Wembley.

Brook sold out the Sheffield arena tonight, tremendous ticket sales.

Could be the fight of the summer

I don't think Khan fancies it because Brooks not really got any major scalps on his record, so not really served his time.

But then again if the moneys right I'm sure he'll forget all that.

Has Khan got any scalps of note? I've seen him battered a couple of times off journeymen.

I guess Barrera and Judah are notable scalps but let's face it Barrera was well past his sell by date so you have a point.

I just think Khans been mixing at a much higher level and looked superb last time out against Alexander. I think he probably feels Brook needs a few more decent fights before he's earned the right to fight him, but we'll see.

• Moderation Lead

Just watched Kel Brook put in a great performance against Jo Jo Dan.

He looks the real deal, be interesting to see if Khan fancies a big payday to fight him at Wembley.

Brook sold out the Sheffield arena tonight, tremendous ticket sales.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/national/12532207.Khan_wants_Brook_fight/

Looks like that might have legs Gav!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article about the Hagler/Hearns fight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/32278382

I can recall watching it in some guise, probably not live in them days, but don't remeber much about the fight a part from the knockout and the look on Hearns face.

Think i'll find a download and watch it again.

Best fight ever? not sure about that.