BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We used to say - " You've got to win over there to get a draw ". A bit like playing the Red Rats at Old Trafford back in the Fergie era.

In the title winning year that disallowed Sherwood goal for an alleged push by shearer was unbelievable. Still remember the referee Paul Durkin 25 years on. Then Gerald Ashby at ewood screwed us. Man Utd were obviously class under fergie as it was but in every game they had 12 men. Not that I’m still bitter about the officiating 

Just now, matt83 said:

In the title winning year that disallowed Sherwood goal for an alleged push by shearer was unbelievable. Still remember the referee Paul Durkin 25 years on. Then Gerald Ashby at ewood screwed us. Man Utd were obviously class under fergie as it was but in every game they had 12 men. Not that I’m still bitter about the officiating 

The worst one was the penalty not given for the foul on Wilcox when we were 1-0 up and a trip in the box was a pen and an instant sending off. Clearest penalty I saw all that season  and it was just " Play on lads ".

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I really would have Fury to give AJ a similar battering on that showing.

Absolutely no way is Eddie Hearn letting this fight go ahead, as much as he should. 
As you’re spot on, Joshua would get sparked.

Fury pre fight:

“To knock out a knockout artist you have to make them go backwards and back them up.

"Wilder is used to coming forwards his whole career. He has never knocked anyone out on the back foot. 

"All bullies when they are backed-up, fold. Wilder is no different to any other playground bully. When someone stands up to Deontay Wilder, he will fold. I will prove that on Saturday.

"Technically he is not so great. Fighting Deontay Wilder is like giving a seven-year-old an AK-47 in a room, fully loaded. He is easy to control but could let rip any time.

"He can throw punches from novice angles that usually a world champion or high-level professional wouldn't throw. They come from the floor sometimes or around corners so you have to have your wits about you.

”I’ve never lost a dogfight ever. Even when I got up off the floor in the 12th round and went at him aggressive, he was all over the show. He couldn’t contain me. So if I do that from round one he’ll be gassing by round 5. Hanging on for dear life, if he gets that far.”

"A fighting man tastes blood. I want to taste it, rub it, punch it and mix it up."

Pretty much everything he said would happen did happen. Including literally tasting blood of Wilder’s neck. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I really would have Fury to give AJ a similar battering on that showing.

Joshua has fought and beaten big lunks before, but on the evidence of his last fight I'd almost rather see Ruiz fight Fury at this stage. Still, Joshua is pretty much the only big name left for Fury to put away after having beaten Wilder, I don't really see anyone coming up behind him at present. 

He needs to take on and beat all comers and contenders not just the belt holders for big money.  All other legendary champions have had a spell or even two doing that it's why they are remembered. You have to fight your mandatories and young pretenders otherwise you'll always have it thrown at you. That's how you build a real legacy not one top opponent and win every five years.

As for a Joshua fight he has all the tools and there is no huge weight advantage which really counted against Wilder. He likes a tear up as well although his chin will hang out. It's a different fight and different proposition. Although despite what they both say that fight won't get near till at least next year. Both have less risky cash to make in between.

Can't take anything away from Fury he did what he had to do in fine style and what most impressed me was he was prepared to take risks to do it. His face was well marked at the end even though it looked like Wilder barely registered a punch but Fury obviously adopted a strategy like Holyfield did v Tyson... beat him to the punch every time in order to break him down. Iv'e been non plussed with his style at times but can't knock what he did the other night. Best performance by far and a performance that harked back to the elite fighters of the 90's in dealing with another serious threat.

Can't really stand the fella or a lot of the now buried stuff that surrounds him but genuinely enjoyed that fight as a boxing fan. Probably because i didn't care who won and just wanted one of them to get sparked ?

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/25/boxing-deontay-wilder-blames-ring-walk-outfit-knockout-loss-tyson-fury

Embarrassing. I though he handled himself gracefully in the immediate post bout interviews, but stuff like this is just laughable. Does he/his team think we're all idiots? Or is he such a narcissist that he needs justifications like this in order to move on?

Edited by Commondore

20 hours ago, Commondore said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/25/boxing-deontay-wilder-blames-ring-walk-outfit-knockout-loss-tyson-fury

Embarrassing. I though he handled himself gracefully in the immediate post bout interviews, but stuff like this is just laughable. Does he/his team think we're all idiots? Or is he such a narcissist that he needs justifications like this in order to move on?

It's so funny. I think he must have gotten too many jabs to the head. 

Wilder is just one big right hand...that is all he has ever been. Not a fan of Fury but he is growing on me. He absolutely schooled Wilder, beat him up proper - i cannot remember such a one-sided victory for a challenger to put on an undefeated holder of a heavyweight belt. 

he just cannot box...look at his fights, has ever fought anyone of worth?  40-year old Cuban has been his claim to fame. For that reason, I think it would be harsh to suddenly say Fury would do the same to other top level boxers like Joshua. I think the game in Britain is a level above the yanks right now and Fury would not get such an easy ride against many over here. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I think Fury would beat Joshua fairly easily tbh. 
Hopefully Eddie Hearn makes it happen next summer (the earliest I can see it realistically happening) on these shores rather than Vegas, so everyone doesn’t have to get up super early/stay up super late.

• Backroom
47 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think Fury would beat Joshua fairly easily tbh. 
Hopefully Eddie Hearn makes it happen next summer (the earliest I can see it realistically happening) on these shores rather than Vegas, so everyone doesn’t have to get up super early/stay up super late.

If it goes ahead it will definitely be Saudi. 

And whilst I understand people's issue with supporting such a regime, for purely selfish reasons,  it will be great to have a big bout on about 10pm on a Sat night. We're starved of it over here. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Wilder is just one big right hand...that is all he has ever been. Not a fan of Fury but he is growing on me. He absolutely schooled Wilder, beat him up proper - i cannot remember such a one-sided victory for a challenger to put on an undefeated holder of a heavyweight belt. 

he just cannot box...look at his fights, has ever fought anyone of worth?  40-year old Cuban has been his claim to fame. For that reason, I think it would be harsh to suddenly say Fury would do the same to other top level boxers like Joshua. I think the game in Britain is a level above the yanks right now and Fury would not get such an easy ride against many over here. 

100% 

some of us have been screaming it for years about Wilder. I don't think he's as bad as a lot make out he has skills but they are very limited and at 34 with over 40 fights he'll never changed.  Being able to navigate himself around the HW scene for over ten years aided by the WBC hasn't helped him.  He's had no wars and has only ever had to dig himself out of one trough v 38 year old Ortiz whose slow as an overloaded oil tanker.

Credit to Wilder it's not his fault he's dispatched people without a fight a bit like the real Tyson used to but he ruled all comers before he fell off his perch. Deontay has lived under a cherry tree and picked not the ripest fruit but the ones ready to whither of which he thought Fury was one. Half right on that as he nearly did him in the first fight but difference is a top class boxer makes the adjustments whereas a deluded one thought he'd be picking up the same script this time only writing his own ending.

As for Fury i'll never be a fan of the man but boxing wise you have to go back to Lewis fighting over there and dispatching the likes of Michael Grant etc.  He didn't have the rep of Wilder though but probably another basket ball player type turned boxer.

There's a reason Fury and Joshua are elite now for gods sake get it on !

• Like 1

Some posts on this thread haven't aged very well.??  A few on here still on a very steep learning curve!

The 'Pillow Fisted' Fury, totally demolished Wilder. And stopped him. After flattening him numerous times. Tremendous performance from Fury, aggressive, skilful, heavy handed and completely dominant. Took the fight to Wilder from the off and within three rounds had him hurt, scared and dis-orientated.

Absolutely no surprise to me, that Fury was head and shoulders above the most feared and supposed hardest hitting heavyweight for decades. Amazed that so many had Wilder winning, amazed that so many thought he would knock Fury out, amazed that no-one believed Fury was going to jump all over him, amazed that so few believed Fury could win.

What did folk not understand? The only reason he got close to Fury the first time round was due to Fury losing ten stone in weight in the previous twelve months. Wilder believed he was finished, hence taking the first fight. By Fury's own admission he was only 50% fit, yet still took the fight and won 8 or 9 of the 12 rounds very easily.

Fury has now fought and beat, two of the most feared and lauded heavyweight champions in history. Away from home. Let that sink in. Klitchko ten years undefeated. Wilder five years undefeated. Good that Fury is around to free the belts for all the lesser fighters to scramble after. 

Hope that Wilder forces the re-match. Looking forward to the press conferences already, with Fury reminding the plank how many times he fell over.

Eddie Hearn already falling over himself to try and get Fury v Joshua. Forgetting all about his other fighter, mandatory for years for this belt. 

Edited by onlyonejackwalker

I can't believe a grown man is such a fangirl jesus christ have a bit of balance yes it was a top performance but Wilder is the most well steered champ in history who's technically awful.  We know he can bang but that's it Ortiz bashed him all over in the first fight but ran out of gas so the blueprint was there.

At the size he is with a 3 stone at least weight advantage on the night he made it tell he was stepping into his punches which is something we haven't really seen from Fury before. He learned from the first fight but seems Wilder was very complacent, he'll nail anyone who gives him chance but there's probably quite a few capable of knocking him out.

But obviously now Furys beaten him Wilder was one of the best ever who's beating every other top HW over the last decade. And Wlad wasn't nearly 40, had been beaten 3 times and ruled one of the worst era's ever. Never mind his personal problems at the time ( mrs in rehab ) and the fact the bloke that beat him ran away from the rematch.

• Moderation Lead
19 hours ago, Silas said:

If it goes ahead it will definitely be Saudi. 

And whilst I understand people's issue with supporting such a regime, for purely selfish reasons,  it will be great to have a big bout on about 10pm on a Sat night. We're starved of it over here. 

That is true, but it would be a similar fight time in Britain....

Also, not to mention the regime being rotten,  again it’s no good for the fans that get to be there, imagine watching boxing with no booze....

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Some posts on this thread haven't aged very well.??  A few on here still on a very steep learning curve!

The 'Pillow Fisted' Fury, totally demolished Wilder. And stopped him. After flattening him numerous times. Tremendous performance from Fury, aggressive, skilful, heavy handed and completely dominant. Took the fight to Wilder from the off and within three rounds had him hurt, scared and dis-orientated.

Absolutely no surprise to me, that Fury was head and shoulders above the most feared and supposed hardest hitting heavyweight for decades. Amazed that so many had Wilder winning, amazed that so many thought he would knock Fury out, amazed that no-one believed Fury was going to jump all over him, amazed that so few believed Fury could win.

What did folk not understand? The only reason he got close to Fury the first time round was due to Fury losing ten stone in weight in the previous twelve months. Wilder believed he was finished, hence taking the first fight. By Fury's own admission he was only 50% fit, yet still took the fight and won 8 or 9 of the 12 rounds very easily.

Fury has now fought and beat, two of the most feared and lauded heavyweight champions in history. Away from home. Let that sink in. Klitchko ten years undefeated. Wilder five years undefeated. Good that Fury is around to free the belts for all the lesser fighters to scramble after. 

Hope that Wilder forces the re-match. Looking forward to the press conferences already, with Fury reminding the plank how many times he fell over.

Eddie Hearn already falling over himself to try and get Fury v Joshua. Forgetting all about his other fighter, mandatory for years for this belt. 

Did you really end a long absence without posting to come on and crow about being right? Surely you’ve got better things to do?

• Like 1

Literally 1 second or a more stern ref and it would have been oh so different in the first fight 

That's how close he was to being iced, fine lines in HW boxing. The last laugh hasn't been had yet let's see this guy actually rule the roost for a few years 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

That is true, but it would be a similar fight time in Britain....

Also, not to mention the regime being rotten,  again it’s no good for the fans that get to be there, imagine watching boxing with no booze....

Totally agree, crap for the fans going. And UK would be sensible option, 2 British belt holders and all that.

But now the middle middle east has their claws in Hearn, I can't see many big fights at Heavyweight happening here.

It'll be Saudi for the blood money or Vegas......cos it's Vegas.

I'm not a fight going fan, never been to a bout, more an armchair fan. 

So it's Saudi for me all day long I'm ashamed to say, merely for convenience to my lifestyle.  

On another note my pal from work did go on Saturday. What a great time he had. Came back with a signed glove and picture with Tyson.........Mike that is.

Wilder has a great record but he's never been a great fighter, nobody in this era of HW boxing to lay claim to being great, its a poor division and has been for a while. The writing was on the wall for Wilder after the 7 round knockout of Ortiz in his last fight, he was probably 6 rounds down at that stage but his right hand got him out of trouble.

But lets take nothing away from Fury, what he's done over the past few years to come back from the brink is to be applauded, I don't like the bloke but I tip my hat to achievements. 

Just as a side note, Wilder could probably walk down most streets in the US and not be recognised, you could still buy tickets from the MGM box office at the start of fight week, that says much about the current HW division. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tomphil said:

I can't believe a grown man is such a fangirl jesus christ have a bit of balance yes it was a top performance but Wilder is the most well steered champ in history who's technically awful.  We know he can bang but that's it Ortiz bashed him all over in the first fight but ran out of gas so the blueprint was there.

At the size he is with a 3 stone at least weight advantage on the night he made it tell he was stepping into his punches which is something we haven't really seen from Fury before. He learned from the first fight but seems Wilder was very complacent, he'll nail anyone who gives him chance but there's probably quite a few capable of knocking him out.

But obviously now Furys beaten him Wilder was one of the best ever who's beating every other top HW over the last decade. And Wlad wasn't nearly 40, had been beaten 3 times and ruled one of the worst era's ever. Never mind his personal problems at the time ( mrs in rehab ) and the fact the bloke that beat him ran away from the rematch.

Fangirl? Oh dear. You seem to have taken my words personally. 

You would have seen Fury stepping in loads of times if you had followed his early career.

Sense at last from Gav there ?

You've got a new breed now blinded by all the Fury 'story' the one with a lot of ingredients airbrushed out. The PR he's had since the last Wilder fight is mind blowing the thing on tv, which i couldn't stomach, has really finally got him known in his home country. He's a bit of a walking soap opera and kids love that these days it actually makes them put their phones and x boxes down for 5 mins.

Got to credit the guy for following it up he'd have looked a tight plonker being ko'd in 3 !

What makes me howl though is people running around now trying to make out Wilder was a great fighter so this was like Ali beating Foreman. Utter hogwash, then others saying Wilder was a complete bum who's had fights and opponents fixed in his favour yet Furys victory is somehow the best ever ?

Got to love the irony.

Just now, onlyonejackwalker said:

Fangirl? Oh dear. You seem to have taken my words personally. 

You would have seen Fury stepping in loads of times if you had followed his early career.

I have and i saw him struggle plenty times and eventually nearly slip up v Cunningham.

We'll see what it's all about when he has someone in front of him who can throw more than straight shots and isn't 3 or 4 stone lighter on the night.

If he blows him away in similar fashion i'll buy you a pint, sorry a babycham ?

15 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Did you really end a long absence without posting to come on and crow about being right? Surely you’ve got better things to do?

Hi KHod, hope you are ok and things go well. Bit of a weird reply to my post may I say.

I don't post on the football as I don't attend any longer and don't feel qualified watching titbits from tv.

I do follow the boxing, am still a member of this site, and could only post after the event last weekend.

For some strange reason I am constantly being called a 'fangirl' by one poster simply because I rate Fury's skills as a boxer. The one who liked your comment. If I have upset you both I apologise. I am not Fury's manager or agent, I don't benefit from supporting him, it is only an opinion.  

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

I have and i saw him struggle plenty times and eventually nearly slip up v Cunningham.

We'll see what it's all about when he has someone in front of him who can throw more than straight shots and isn't 3 or 4 stone lighter on the night.

If he blows him away in similar fashion i'll buy you a pint, sorry a babycham ?

Fury should retire. Jack shit else to prove. Held every belt and every award possible to win. 

10 minutes ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Fury should retire. Jack shit else to prove. Held every belt and every award possible to win. 

Only a fangirl would come out with that ?

Ducked Klitschko rematch, stripped of IBF, had to relinquish the others before being stripped after being suspended for cocaine use.

Then under investigation with his cousin for use of Nandrolone resulting in the end with a two year back dated ban, now conveniently swept under the carpet seeing as he's back in fashion making people money.

Never unified a single belt nabbed them all in one nights stick and run, NEVER defended a single World title to date and probably won't.

Never fought a single other top 6 contender outside of his 2 world title wins, almost 5 years apart.

If he doesn't get in with AJ or an instant rematch he'll be back to fighting German bus drivers or Ukranian taxi drivers or maybe a bit of fixed wrestling just to stay safe.

He turns up on the big nights but when mentioning him against other proper champions he falls short for me at the min.

Now jog on fangirl.