Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ABBEY

Boxing Megathread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Another old boxing saying - " The only thing square in boxing is the ring ".

I boxed at school. Three x three minute rounds. I was a fit as fiddle and it was still by far the most tiring sport I ever took part in Half way through the third round you had a hard time keeping your guard up.

The thing about boxing is when you meet up against somebody better than you it can go South pretty quickly. In football if you meet up against a team better than you then you get beat 6 or 7 nil and it's embarrassing but it's not the end of the world. In boxing you can get physically hurt.

It's great leveler though you can have one person who'd win in a street fight 9 times out of ten. Put gloves on and abide by some rules and the balance might go the other way. 

No better way to sort out differences.

You're right about fitness though the top guys take it to another level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's great leveler though you can have one person who'd win in a street fight 9 times out of ten. Put gloves on and abide by some rules and the balance might go the other way. 

No better way to sort out differences.

You're right about fitness though the top guys take it to another level.

Definitely. When I was younger the local ABC was ran by "Mad Frank". MMA was up and coming back then and most of us went to Frank's to box. Some of the roadmen lads at school would come down occasionally and Frank was perfect at bringing them down to 'normality'. He'd put them in the ring to spar with one of the better lads and they'd walk out with a different mindset. Mad Frank died when we were 15 sadly, and unfortunately a few of the roadmen lads who boxed with us are either dead or in jail now. I can't help but think if Frank had stayed around a few of them might have stayed out of trouble. One of the best boxers I've seen is doing a 10 year stretch for armed robbery right now. There's certainly a dozen or so success cases from the gym. I think it has since shut down. 

Personally speaking I was always a bit of a tearaway as a youth. I always lacked mental discipline and it got me in a bit of trouble. I started wing-chun and Brazilian ju-jitsu after hitting it off at Dark Circle MMA gym in Wolves when I was 17. Without blowing my own trumpet them two martial arts have instilled a discipline I never thought possible. Whether it was solely the art or a mixture of that and maturing I'm uncertain but, without it, I wouldn't be the person I am now.

From Birmingham there are two big success stories: Leon and Fabian Edwards. I saw Leon train at the Erdington UTC (now a washing machine wholesalers!!!) and he's a whole different animal physically. The level of fitness them pro fighters have is breathtaking. Fabian is a bit different: he recently done time and has come out the other side. He's now in the Bellator and smashing it so will no doubt see him in the UFC at some point. As a final note, both of them have said in the past without MMA they'd probably be in and out of jail all their lives.

 

Edited by Dreams of 1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Definitely. When I was younger the local ABC was ran by "Mad Frank". MMA was up and coming back then and most of us went to Frank's to box. Some of the roadmen lads at school would come down occasionally and Frank was perfect at bringing them down to 'normality'. He'd put them in the ring to spar with one of the better lads and they'd walk out with a different mindset. Mad Frank died when we were 15 sadly, and unfortunately a few of the roadmen lads who boxed with us are either dead or in jail now. I can't help but think if Frank had stayed around a few of them might have stayed out of trouble. One of the best boxers I've seen is doing a 10 year stretch for armed robbery right now. There's certainly a dozen or so success cases from the gym. I think it has since shut down. 

Personally speaking I was always a bit of a tearaway as a youth. I always lacked mental discipline and it got me in a bit of trouble. I started wing-chun and Brazilian ju-jitsu after hitting it off at Dark Circle MMA gym in Wolves when I was 17. Without blowing my own trumpet them two martial arts have instilled a discipline I never thought possible. Whether it was solely the art or a mixture of that and maturing I'm uncertain but, without it, I wouldn't be the person I am now.

From Birmingham there are two big success stories: Leon and Fabian Edwards. I saw Leon train at the Erdington UTC (now a washing machine wholesalers!!!) and he's a whole different animal physically. The level of fitness them pro fighters have is breathtaking. Fabian is a bit different: he recently done time and has come out the other side. He's now in the Bellator and smashing it so will no doubt see him in the UFC at some point. As a final note, both of them have said in the past without MMA they'd probably be in and out of jail all their lives.

 

Good story mate 👍

Yep there's definitely an important place in society for those local back street gyms i'd even make these sports an option at school. For the older kids obviously although this present attitude in society would never allow it.  

The story of the Ingle gym in Sheffield highlights all that perfectly along the lines of your Mad Franks.  The rules he implemented there were amazing.  The Brendan version obviously not the latter day PEDS tainted Dominic one.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan Minter has sadly died, I’ll never forget him fighting Hagler, I think it was at Wembley.

What a superb division, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Minter and Sugar Ray - and let’s not forget Harry Carpenter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/54107864

Superb era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gav said:

Alan Minter has sadly died, I’ll never forget him fighting Hagler, I think it was at Wembley.

What a superb division, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Minter and Sugar Ray - and let’s not forget Harry Carpenter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/54107864

Superb era.

Indeed Gav, boxing somehow seemed more exciting back then. As for Minter, for all he was our best at the time, and a worthy champion, 'Boom Boom' was never in the class of the others on your list there. He had a big punch but was very susceptible to cuts, which if memory serves me right was how he lost 25% of his professional bouts.  RIP Alan Minter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget Don Cobra Curry and John The Beast Mugabe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the biggest fix of a fight on sky sports.

Ritson won....got.outclassed completely...fix

..evryone looks shocked 

Edited by Sparks Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Just watched the biggest fix of a fight on sky sports.

Ritson won....got.outclassed completely...fix

..evryone looks shocked 

It's really beginning to put me off the sport.

Last 10 years or so seems to have got worse and worse.

You've got sports like rugby union, cricket, rugby league and football (yeah I know) trying to use technology to make the games as fair as possible. 

Then you have public, live streamed fraud occurring on boxing. Awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Silas said:

It's really beginning to put me off the sport.

Last 10 years or so seems to have got worse and worse.

You've got sports like rugby union, cricket, rugby league and football (yeah I know) trying to use technology to make the games as fair as possible. 

Then you have public, live streamed fraud occurring on boxing. Awful. 

Nobody calls it out there and then. It just seemed like a pantomime.   All them ex boxers, experts etc thought vazquez won ny 7 rounds, one of the judges had ritson 6 ahead...😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Hayes selling job on the Usyk v Chisora fight has hit almost hysterical levels of delusion now.  Still at least it gives Hearn and his crew a day off their hype train.

Interesting fight but it's all about Usyk and how he handles a genuine big mauling brawling hw lump.  Would love Delboy to pull it off but can only see him being clinically taken apart as long as Usyk avoids those big overhand rights.

In other news lineal pretender Fury about to take the piss gain in between title fights with a hand picked opponent and all the usual done to death bollocks that goes with it and him.

Sooner they create a Super HW div for the handful of giants and let the rest get a decent competitive HW divison back like it used to be the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tomphil
 

I’m still trying to get over that punch that did for Dillian Whyte - I felt it from 200 miles away :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Has Fury mentioned who he will fight in December?

Bob Arum mentioned Agit Kabayel and Carlos Takam after the Wilder fight was scrapped, but nothing set in stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tomphil said:

David Hayes selling job on the Usyk v Chisora fight has hit almost hysterical levels of delusion now.  Still at least it gives Hearn and his crew a day off their hype train.

Interesting fight but it's all about Usyk and how he handles a genuine big mauling brawling hw lump.  Would love Delboy to pull it off but can only see him being clinically taken apart as long as Usyk avoids those big overhand rights.

In other news lineal pretender Fury about to take the piss gain in between title fights with a hand picked opponent and all the usual done to death bollocks that goes with it and him.

Sooner they create a Super HW div for the handful of giants and let the rest get a decent competitive HW divison back like it used to be the better. 

Where have we heard that before 🤐

Same with all walks of life now. Power concentrated in too few hands. Joshua could lose 4 in a row and he'd still be the most advertised boxer in the division.

UFC is going the same way now as well. Gets a bit like WWE at times with the ridiculous storylines they try and peddle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Where have we heard that before 🤐

Same with all walks of life now. Power concentrated in too few hands. Joshua could lose 4 in a row and he'd still be the most advertised boxer in the division.

UFC is going the same way now as well. Gets a bit like WWE at times with the ridiculous storylines they try and peddle. 

Well the WBC are on about creating a division between cruiser & HW with a 16 stone limit. Daftest thing iv'e ever heard but no surprise it's gone crazy. At this rate the WBO will end up the most credible organization and that's saying something.

In WBCs case i'm sure it's aimed at re-establishing their pet Wilder after they carried him as long as they could !  Keep him out of Fury and Joshuas reach and a few others.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tomphil

Dereck Chisora - no chance :tu:

But it’s Saturday night boxing, I’ve got to watch it.

Edited by Gav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it went pretty much as expected and fair play to Chisora for seeing it through.  He was never going to maintain the pace he set but he gave Usyk some uncomfortable early rounds.  Only one winner once he found his rythmn and it slowed down a bit though.

Still don't think he bothers the top men i think he'd have really struggled with a Parker or Whyte last night, doesn't have power to back them up. Still it's another interesting face at least in an otherwise very bland HW outside the top 3 or 4.

No way is this guy the new Holyfield though and whilst i rarely agree with Nelson he was right in saying like other good cruisers going up he'l have some success but come unstuck soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

No way is this guy the new Holyfield though and whilst i rarely agree with Nelson he was right in saying like other good cruisers going up he'l have some success but come unstuck soon enough.

I think he has a good chance against AJ.

Fury would easily beat him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silas said:

I think he has a good chance against AJ.

Fury would easily beat him. 

Ah that old chestnut.

Sorry not buying it, they both beat him and wouldn't be surprised to see him out box Wilder then get iced.  He doesn't carry enough umph to bother them i don't think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Ah that old chestnut.

Sorry not buying it, they both beat him and wouldn't be surprised to see him out box Wilder then get iced.  He doesn't carry enough umph to bother them i don't think.

He looks very small and they'd all.rag doll him around the ring.  I think there needs to be a new weight category for furys of this world.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a knock out from Gervonta Davis last night against Leo Santa Cruz. A real shame that no British broadcaster is picking up these excellent cards that Top Rank are putting on, I mean how did Sky or BT not pick up the Lomachenko V Lopez card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

He looks very small and they'd all.rag doll him around the ring.  I think there needs to be a new weight category for furys of this world.  

Agreed, he's probably about 6'2" in reality and he's the athletic type many modern guys are rather than the bull elephants of the past.  Iv'e no desire to watch him v Fury cat and mouse for 12 rounds with hardly a power shot thrown. 

Be better seeing him match his skills v the likes of Parker or even Hughie Fury but nobody will put up the dosh for fights these days. Not unless they can PPV flog it or there are main belts up for grabs.

Edited by tomphil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

What a knock out from Gervonta Davis last night against Leo Santa Cruz. A real shame that no British broadcaster is picking up these excellent cards that Top Rank are putting on, I mean how did Sky or BT not pick up the Lomachenko V Lopez card.

Because they are up Hearn and Frank Warren arses

Edited by Sparks Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

He looks very small and they'd all.rag doll him around the ring.  I think there needs to be a new weight category for furys of this world.  

I guarantee you Wilder and AJ don't get anywhere near to ragdolling Usyk. 

He's 6"3 btw. 

Wilder could well "ice" him, but he can do that to anyone.

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

Be better seeing him match his skills v the likes of Parker or even Hughie Fury but nobody will put up the dosh for fights these days. Not unless they can PPV flog it or there are main belts up for grabs.

Hughie Fury?! My word, Usyk is so many levels above him it's not even worth putting on. You're right, no way anyone pays to sanction that fight. 

Parker maybe. But at 33 Usyk doesn't have time to piss about. He wants to fight the best, so let's crack on and do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.